CDW

Updated Dec 08, 2013

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards

Thomas E. Richards

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great launching pad or career if it's what you want

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at CDW full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere is a great opportunity to make a lot of money, not travel and work 8-5. There is also opportunity for lateral movement to other departments or getting into one of the partners. It all depends what you want to do and making it happen.

ConsIt gets boring. You do the same thing most of the time and it can get annoying feeling like you're a customer service rep at times. Additionally, there can be a bit of a frat mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore focus and development on remote offices.

Below Average

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Training, Decent Benefits plenty of free lunches nad perks from vendors

ConsSalary is an absolute joke no education required to work as an Account Manager, Comp Plan is awful and turnover is extremely high. Might make money if you wait several years and get a good account or 2 when people start to leave with the IPO. Get your training stay for a year or two then get out ASAP!

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees, recruit actual talent not just college kids willing to take a 25k base salary, give newer account managers some decent accounts if they prove themselves within the first year or you will never retain any talent

Great company to work for

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

ProsI am in technology sales so there is always something new to speak with the customer about. Great young company - average age is between 25 and 29. Just went public.

ConsSame as any sales - compensation. This negative is not even about the pay - it is about the commissions an Account Manager should keep. They do not always let you keep what you earned.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust let account managers keep a higher portion of their commissions. Other than that, no gripes.

Cut Your Teeth

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at CDW full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat place to learn. They have great people working here. Both in management and base level. If you work hard you can make decent money here. This is a great name to have on your resume.

ConsBase pay was crummy, hard to get new accounts / grow accounts in the government side of things. To focused on metrics instead of results.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Improve the base pay and get some quality people in. The shotgun approach of getting people in with low ball salaries is tough.

Management lacks any experience, do your time and move on

Field Account Executive (Current Employee)
Shelton, CT (US)

I have been working at CDW

ProsGood work/life balance
No one gets fired (thats a big negative too!)
Form great relationships

ConsManagers have no experience and it shows
Mostly friends of managers, directors get promoted

Advice to Senior ManagementChange how you treat your top performers .
Lots of employees waiting for IPO and will then leave

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!

CDW Videos

CDW – Why Work for Us?

​​Companies today are only as strong as the technology that supports them. That's where we come in. At CDW, we go far beyond delivering high-tech products. We provide customized services. And we deliver solutions… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CDW reviews and ratings in Shelton, CT — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for CDW CEO Thomas E. Richards. All 5 reviews posted anonymously by CDW employees.