CDW

Updated 17 September, 2014
4.0

CDW Chairman and CEO Thomas E. Richards
Thomas E. Richards

Pros
  • There is also a great work life balance as long as you prove that you are a high performer (in 66 reviews)

• Many coworkers have the ability to work from home a day or two a week (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance - great if you are single, not if you have a family (in 17 reviews)

• Base salary could be higher to attract better talent in the beginning (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

21 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

If you work hard you can go far in this company.

Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor  in  Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Learning Environment Advisor in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The best thing about this company is the way they develop their employees. There is a world of knowledge that can be learned and easily accessed. I have been in the Sales industry for almost 25 years now and never received the kind of training that CDW offers to their employees.

Cons

The biggest challenge to overcome working for CDW is often compensation. There is a lot of incentive if you are doing everything you can to close deals, but the biggest battle comes from fighting the internal processes in order to make money. The constant fight to keep your deals profitable is easily the most daunting aspect of joining a sales team at CDW. That being said if you learn the system and leverage the right partner relationships the overall experience can be very rewarding.

Treat your employees like the individuals they are and try to avoid alienating the company's best resource in the shuffle of corporate minutiae.

Extremely satisfying, equally as challenging.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is very hands on training, along with highly intelligent sales instructors. They help you along every step of the way to ensure you are a factual, polished, ready to take on the world type of Account Manager.

Cons

4 weeks of classroom, 8-5 training (which is a pro too) then 5 months of being in the academy (which is more of a pro as well)

Keep doing what you're doing. You are making this sales training so enjoyable.

Great experience

Former Employee - K12 Sales  in  Mettawa, IL (US)
    Former Employee - K12 Sales in Mettawa, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay
    Time off
    Discounts
    Great management
    Excellent benefits

Cons

Not much room to move up into management

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is truly a company that, not only wants to be successful, but wants it's coworkers to be successful too!

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

This company cares about it's coworkers. They are conscious of the work/life balance. They treat their coworkers with respect and are fair. They are involved in their community and humanitarian efforts. They keep their coworkers informed on company matters. They do a good job of explaining why they take certain actions and what it means to us.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Keep doing what you're doing. CDW is a great place to work!

An Amazing Career

Current Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor  in  Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Operations Supervisor in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time

Pros

The Coworkers at CDW bring me to work every day! The atmosphere and the energy of the coworkers and management makes the days go by so fast. There are opportunities for leadership promotions you just have to map your path and work hand & hand with your manager to make sure you are doing the best you can daily.
    Hard work does pay off at CDW.

Cons

Not enough coworkers in several departments to meet the demand of our growing company.
    Five sick days a year is not enough time for the year.

Inspire your teams not talk at them.
    Make sure you are on the same page as your team. Find out what make them happy instead of what makes you happy.
    Stop micro-managing! Give coworkers the freedom to work the hours they feel best to serve their customers.
    Not everyone is a morning person.
    Treat your coworkers with respect and you will get in return.

I feel that CDW is more like a family than just a business.

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

We have a new Manager and Supervisor. They more in-tune with the team and our work ethic.

Cons

Our department isn't allowed any "Work from home" days, while every other department in this company has designated days.

Give us the ability to Work From Home.

Hard to get started, but potential if you stick around and enjoy cold calling

Former Employee - Account Manager  in  Mettawa, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Mettawa, IL (US)

I worked at CDW full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, friendly atmosphere, and the potential to move up and make money. Lots of freebies given out and there are some amazing training programs for various technology systems you can take advantage of. Definitely, take advantage of the certs. Also, building relationships with your clients and helping them out with their IT needs is a rewarding experience. I tended to go out of my way just to make my consistent clients happy; that's a great feeling.

Cons

There is a lot of cold calling to begin with, and if you're not comfortable with that, this is not the place for you. Being successful really depends on the region you are in and the support from your team when you first arrive. I, unfortunately, was lacking in both of those arenas and my temporary team leader was not all too helpful in terms of training, support, and being able to effectively progress our personal business with the clients. I felt more like a telemarketer rather than a salesman. CDW hires A LOT of people right out of college and the turnover rate is enormous. Six months in less than half of my initial training team was there and morale was pretty low. That's how they weed people out (and find their talent). Also, territorial disputes between your own team members is pretty common. Many coworkers on my regional team had this, "I have mine, I don't care about you" attitude on the team. They were focused more on making their money on their paycheck (commission) rather than trying to build a stronger team.

Smaller training teams would be vastly beneficial and more direct connect with your actual team. If they focused more on sales training and ways that we could effectively sell these products, I probably would have stayed longer. There just wasn't any real, tangible or meaning support.

CDW is a performance oriented company. CDW seeks to give its coworkers every chance at providing an amazing performance.

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good coworker relations, fair treatment, safe work environment, internal promotion prospects, support and training provided, benefits and incentives, and fair wages.

Cons

Best practices take a tad more time to implement, but its because someone is making sure that the decisions that are made are sound. Even still a lot of high quality work is accomplished quickly more often than not.

Continue to attract and retain great talent and customers and youll continue to be the empoyer of choice.

A great place for career growth and potential.

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Unlimited earning potential
    Promote within
    Leadership training a programs
    Internal opportunities

Cons

Lots of competition
    Challenging beginning of career for sales

Continue reviewing the business and keeping your eye on the future of the organization. Our business has changed many times in the close to 30ish years and CDW continues to be well positioned for success and growth. Usually the tough decisions are the ones that leap an organization forward.

Great growing company, greate environment, and great people!

Current Employee - Senior Sales Analyst  in  Mettawa, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Analyst in Mettawa, IL (US)

I have been working at CDW full-time for more than a year

Pros

You can work in the City, or in the Suburbs. A growing company means that there are plenty of opportunities to advance. The Directors and VPs are involved at all levels so it's not uncommon to be in focus groups or meetings with them actively participating. Great extra-curricular activities for families such as free admission to museums, family friendly holiday parties, and a whole day at Six Flags reserved only for CDW employees.

Cons

The work can get monotonous so the job is going to be as fun as you make it.

Keep up the good work, we appreciate it!

Worked for CDW? Contribute to the Community!