Business Intelligence Associates

www.biaprotect.com

Business Intelligence Associates Reviews

Business Intelligence Associates – New York – “BIA Tough Mudders!”

Business Intelligence Associates President Brian Schrader

Brian Schrader

Excellent company , feels like home

Proswork life balance, great pay

Consbeurocratic, deal with lazy people..inefficient

Poor leadership, great product

IT Systems (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsSmall, agile, startup atmosphere, although the start-up thing is a worn button now

ConsNo, distinct leadership. I did not feel they were their for the employees they invest in. Managers micromanage and little respect is given for trying and doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementShred the pork in your leadership and start placing management in the hands of your workers and not the micro managing control freaks you have enlisted in your ranks.

Aug 08, 2013

Unfortunately, some equate the need to closely monitor underperforming employees as micro-management. Contrary to this post, BIA's management team strives to find team members who have the skill ... More

Great technology; interesting business

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Interesting technology
    - Dynamic start-up like environment
    - Nice perks; such as free breakfast and snacks
    - Positive culture; friendly people

Cons- Some sense of instability
    - Senior management doesn't always seem grounded in reality

Advice to Senior Management- Focus more on core business opportunities

Aug 08, 2013

It's always great to hear ideas, even better when they come from employees while they are here. I just wish this employee would have taken advantage of our open door policy. We're always striving ... More
  1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very hands on role, alot of technical knowledge required, however, lots of training given.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

Prostraining and development opportunities are excellent,

ConsThere aren't really any cons i suppose one could be the salary could be better

Aug 08, 2013

It's wonderful to hear the great feedback! Who wouldn't like to make a little more money, right? Thank you for your comments!

Company needs to mature

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsSmall company with no political overhead.
    Ability to have an major impact on the product.
    Flexible work schedule.
    Interesting problems

ConsDisorganized executive leadership
    Processes need to mature
    Poor communication

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's great to be agile, but a better process for decision-making and executing against those decisions would help drive a more solid product to market faster.

Aug 08, 2013

As always, we strive to keep a very open door policy and wish that more employees felt comfortable sharing their thoughts while they were still here. Every management team could do better, and we're ... More

Good Good

ProsGood place to work, like the people, the pay is all right. There is a lot that can be learned here.

ConsTHe hours can be long but that is just how things are in this business. Some office politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat people as they deserve to be treated. Have a fair and well devised incentive structure would best fulfill that end.

Aug 08, 2013

Glad to hear that you enjoy working with BIA and value your team! The hours can be long, but what sector of the legal business doesn't have it's share of late nights? Since this posting, we've made ... More

When it comes down to it its all smoke and mirrors

ProsWith the quality of some of the employees the company has the ability to really be one of the best in the industry.

A small group of the employees really care about putting out a quality product.

Most of the employees get along really well.

ConsProduct quality is abysmal at times and nobody who should know does. Those that do know don't care.

Promises at the beginning of the job are amazing. "As people below you get promoted, you get promoted, lots of opportunity for growth, free snacks and beverages, you get your birthday off with pay, and more!" Then, the people below you don't get "promoted", they either get laid off (something the company swore it would never do), or they get laterally transferred to another job position, which isn't considered a promotion, thus you are entitled to nothing.

Free snacks? There were, until the office manager insisted we were eating too much and started rationing. Oh, and the rationing applies to coffee as well. Employees are actually told how much coffee they can consume. The rest of the coffee is kept locked up and doled out each day. There are several offices though, and I don't know that all of the offices are treated the same way.

Another review here mentioned company outings. These are now "dutch treat" and you pay your own way. It doesn't really feel like a company outing if I have to pay. Plus, the employees never get any input on what the outings are going to be.

Bottom line, if you weren't one of the first ones hired (their buddies) or you aren't one of the "special" people they went out and courted, you are unlikely to go anywhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementBIA should complete an independent audit of the processes and the product that all of its departments produce. You will be very surprised.

Just because you didn't go to law school with someone, or you aren't related to them, doesn't mean they don't have something great to offer.

Find the employees who think putting out the greatest product is most important than anything else and put them in charge. The profit will follow.

Aug 08, 2013

Well, the title of the post clearly isn't something to be proud of, is it? But, we can handle criticism here at BIA. Even though this particular employee was laid off from the document review team ... More

Pros: Fast growing company. Strong leadership. Cons: Compensation not competitive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBusiness Intelligence Associates is a small, but fast-growing company. If you are in early, you have the best chance of moving up in ranks. Employees are easy to work with. Company outings and free snacks are some of the perks. Focused executives leading the company in the right direction. Expanding even in a dwindling economy.

ConsCompensation not as competitive as other companies. Training is insufficient. Hard work is recognized, but not rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for employees. Technology is constantly changing and employees need to keep up with the times.

Aug 08, 2013

Thank you for the overall glowing review! As for the training and compensation concerns, those clearly have changed over the years. BIA has taken on very aggressive training initiatives, including ... More

Worked for Business Intelligence Associates? Contribute to the Community!