Burger King Reviews

1. Good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mississauga, ON

I have been working at Burger King

Pros

Good and healthy Work Environment

Cons

Competent Labour Issues is a downside

Advice to Management

Serach for more skilled labour

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN OKAY WORK EXPERIENCE THAT GETS OLD REALLY QUICK...

Current Employee - Crew Member in Brampton, ON
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Brampton, ON

I have been working at Burger King

Pros

-They're generous with hours.
    -Employee discounts are usually 50% off = food at half price.
    -The food (depending on your location) is quite good.
    -Your work environment is very friendly, based on the amount of team work that a regular shift involves.
    -No absentee mgmt. They sometimes put in just as much work as regular employees. They are usually respectful, as a result.
    -Food safety and handling protocols are always followed down to the 12 criticals

Cons

-They're not flexible. They don't seem to realize you have a life and things to do (school!!!) outside the restaurant.
    -Employees only get a 25% discount when they're not scheduled to work that day (rip off).
    -If you're working behind-the-scenes, the pace is NON-STOP, with no break in sight. If you're in front, cashing and especially in drive-thru, prepare to be YELLED AT, or pressured or generally STRESSED.
    -Breaks are only 30 minutes (even if you're working a 9+ hour shift) and they send you on them 2 or 3 hours after you start, so when you get back you still have 5 or 6 more hours (and then you're starving again)!
    -Some mgmt can be very lazy, which is very annoying when you've been busting your butt since 6am and they just got there at 3pm.
    -They're soooo cheap. They do not have any landscaping companies or garbage removal companies/business on contract or call, so most of the building upkeep is for the employees to do. ALL THE MENIAL THINGS they don't want to hire anyone to do, including: picking up HEAPS of garbage (this is a fast food joint where people park their cars and throw food and wrappers out their windows) in the HUGE parking lot throughout the year, even in minus temperatures, and there's a long list of disgusting cleaning tasks I won't go into (stuff that hasn't seen soap or water since the restaurant opened, I'm sure).

Advice to Management

My overall experience was an alright one. They were good to me when I needed the hours, but as soon as it came down to the wire, where I needed to balance work, school and other life committments, they didn't seem to understand that I couldn't work as much as before. I would tell them in no uncertain terms, but they would still have me working those same shifts. Also, it wouldn't hurt (PLEASE, YOU'RE A MULTINATIONAL HOUSEHOLD NAME) to hire the appropriate people to do the outdoor tasks. I simply wasn't paid enough to go through what I did at times, OR to keep an eye on certain things overtime, so that when things finally come to a head it's not some unfortunate employee who has to take on those absolutely HUGE housekeeping tasks (for which no appreciation is ever shown).

3. Okay First Job

Former Employee - Fast Food Worker
    Former Employee - Fast Food Worker

I worked at Burger King

Pros

Worked at three different branches during university, including summer transfer to another city at my request. Fun environment and I appreciated that my request not to work on cash was accepted. Management was good about giving time off when I needed it.

Cons

Unsanitary food practices at one of the stores I worked at, also was sexually harrassed there.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on interpersonal dynamics between employees.

5. First job, poor wages, horribly inefficient company

Former Employee - Cashier in Orillia, ON
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orillia, ON

I worked at Burger King

Pros

It's okay for a first job as it was fairly easy to get hired as there isn't exactly a line up of people wanting to work at Burger King.

It wasn't stressful and everyone was able to joke around especially when the store wasn't busy which was often.

Cons

Getting paid minimum wage but I guess you can't expect much more for taking someones order.

The drive-thru audio equipment was very old and didn't work well which was both frustrating for myself and the customer.
    Performance by head office was measured mainly by drive thru times but Burger King's assembly process made times impossible to achieve without the product being made it advance despite them advertising that they did not do this.

Several years later looking back at this job and in my final year of completing a Business degree it amazes me how inefficient this company was especially from an operations perspective. If only Burger King could look at their competitors, specifically McDonald's they could likely assemble their product in half the time.

Advice to Management

Improve your assembly process and invest in new equipment so your staff can achieve your performance goals.

6. Cashier

Current Employee - Cashier in Douglasville, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Douglasville, GA (US)

I have been working at Burger King full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great way to learn about and experience customer service and improves math skills as a cashier.

Cons

There are sometimes irate customers that must be handled in a professional manner.

Advice to Management

n/a

7. cashier

I worked at Burger King full-time

Pros

generally have a mass of hours

Cons

You generally get pretty disrespected by some customers

Advice to Management

Dont hire crappy managers who just sit in the office

8. Cashier

I have been working at Burger King

Pros

Flexible hours, will work with school schedule, family oriented atmosphere

Cons

Sometimes equipment is not always working properly.

9. Great company to work for

I have been working at Burger King part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The company had great hours that you could work around

Cons

The managment was terrible and the district manager was even worse.

10. I do the porter work.(maintenance)

I have been working at Burger King full-time

Pros

The work space is open and free.

Cons

Lazy employees who don't come to work

Advice to Management

Get a better work staff

11. cashier

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Woburn, MA (US)

I worked at Burger King part-time (less than a year)

Pros

you get 5% of the haul, mostly get to run the place like you want when the owner is not there. 12 an hour.

Cons

that place sucks, it needs more employees and better air conditioning. You don't really get to call out if you want to.