Burger King

www.burgerking.com
Employer Engaged

IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR AN OKAY WORK EXPERIENCE THAT GETS OLD REALLY QUICK...

Current Employee - Crew Member in Brampton, ON
    Current Employee - Crew Member in Brampton, ON

I have been working at Burger King

Pros

-They're generous with hours.
    -Employee discounts are usually 50% off = food at half price.
    -The food (depending on your location) is quite good.
    -Your work environment is very friendly, based on the amount of team work that a regular shift involves.
    -No absentee mgmt. They sometimes put in just as much work as regular employees. They are usually respectful, as a result.
    -Food safety and handling protocols are always followed down to the 12 criticals

Cons

-They're not flexible. They don't seem to realize you have a life and things to do (school!!!) outside the restaurant.
    -Employees only get a 25% discount when they're not scheduled to work that day (rip off).
    -If you're working behind-the-scenes, the pace is NON-STOP, with no break in sight. If you're in front, cashing and especially in drive-thru, prepare to be YELLED AT, or pressured or generally STRESSED.
    -Breaks are only 30 minutes (even if you're working a 9+ hour shift) and they send you on them 2 or 3 hours after you start, so when you get back you still have 5 or 6 more hours (and then you're starving again)!
    -Some mgmt can be very lazy, which is very annoying when you've been busting your butt since 6am and they just got there at 3pm.
    -They're soooo cheap. They do not have any landscaping companies or garbage removal companies/business on contract or call, so most of the building upkeep is for the employees to do. ALL THE MENIAL THINGS they don't want to hire anyone to do, including: picking up HEAPS of garbage (this is a fast food joint where people park their cars and throw food and wrappers out their windows) in the HUGE parking lot throughout the year, even in minus temperatures, and there's a long list of disgusting cleaning tasks I won't go into (stuff that hasn't seen soap or water since the restaurant opened, I'm sure).

My overall experience was an alright one. They were good to me when I needed the hours, but as soon as it came down to the wire, where I needed to balance work, school and other life committments, they didn't seem to understand that I couldn't work as much as before. I would tell them in no uncertain terms, but they would still have me working those same shifts. Also, it wouldn't hurt (PLEASE, YOU'RE A MULTINATIONAL HOUSEHOLD NAME) to hire the appropriate people to do the outdoor tasks. I simply wasn't paid enough to go through what I did at times, OR to keep an eye on certain things overtime, so that when things finally come to a head it's not some unfortunate employee who has to take on those absolutely HUGE housekeeping tasks (for which no appreciation is ever shown).

Okay First Job

Former Employee - Fast Food Worker
    Former Employee - Fast Food Worker

I worked at Burger King

Pros

Worked at three different branches during university, including summer transfer to another city at my request. Fun environment and I appreciated that my request not to work on cash was accepted. Management was good about giving time off when I needed it.

Cons

Unsanitary food practices at one of the stores I worked at, also was sexually harrassed there.

Keep an eye on interpersonal dynamics between employees.

First job, poor wages, horribly inefficient company

Former Employee - Cashier in Orillia, ON
    Former Employee - Cashier in Orillia, ON

I worked at Burger King

Pros

It's okay for a first job as it was fairly easy to get hired as there isn't exactly a line up of people wanting to work at Burger King.

It wasn't stressful and everyone was able to joke around especially when the store wasn't busy which was often.

Cons

Getting paid minimum wage but I guess you can't expect much more for taking someones order.

The drive-thru audio equipment was very old and didn't work well which was both frustrating for myself and the customer.
    Performance by head office was measured mainly by drive thru times but Burger King's assembly process made times impossible to achieve without the product being made it advance despite them advertising that they did not do this.

Several years later looking back at this job and in my final year of completing a Business degree it amazes me how inefficient this company was especially from an operations perspective. If only Burger King could look at their competitors, specifically McDonald's they could likely assemble their product in half the time.

Improve your assembly process and invest in new equipment so your staff can achieve your performance goals.

I had a wonderful time. The customers loved me, I offered the best services and even made suggestive sales... Marketing

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Burger King full-time (less than a year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at Burger King is that you not only get to know the fast food side of it, but actually get to experience strategic marketing plans in affect, also be qualified to advance within the company to higher corporate positions.

Cons

Some employees or customers won't be easy to get along with, but you can still be a winner! They have many great high paying job opportunities.

Its good to give second chances to employees, but still consider the motive of those who seek to come back. If they have burned you bad the first time, usually they are known to repeat the vicious cycle, the second time around, if your employee seems to be more willing to work and help others get their assignments then you have won. But if your employee seems to have occasional mood swings and is often unfriendly to consumers, then its a loose/loose. You loose the time that it takes to replace your employee, you loose minutes, hours, days or maybe even weeks trying to find the perfect candidate to hire to help carry out the normal everyday functions of work that your company has set out for employees.

Always evaluate the perspective of your employees as well as your consumers!

Sr Analyst

I have been working at Burger King

Pros

Very good pay, great company to have on your resume, great to younger professionals that are in the LDP or MBA programs (very fast promotions)

Cons

Long hours, work - life balance is not realistic, promotions are given based on programs not always merit, benefits not great

It is what it is

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chattanooga, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Chattanooga, TN (US)

I have been working at Burger King full-time

Pros

Lots of learning experiences
    You get to work with a lot of people and have several opportunities to manage them.
    Training program for management is comprehensive

Cons

Bad days are really bad; callouts, equipment breaking down and upper management breathing down your neck.

Reward loyal crew members more frequently. It will inspire and motivate hourly employees and also help with turnover.

You are held to high standards; it's a semi labor intensive job and you must go out of your way to learn everything.

I worked at Burger King part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Mostly teenagers working
    Efficient team-There's not time for a lot of horsing around as there's usually a steady flow of customers. All employees are expected to keep busy.
    No formal interview-I just gave an application & resume in person
    I liked my hours; I got evening hours and morning on the weekends so I still had time to go out and have a life

Cons

Mostly teenagers working
    No formal training-I was never walked through how to do everything, I had to learn how to make food, bag orders etc. as I go
    Tasks are unclear-I was a cashier but also expected to bag orders, make food, clean tables, wipe floors)
    Unclear instructions-There were usually 2 managers working at a time and when I was learning how to do certain tasks, they would give me different instructions making it unclear how to properly do things
    Write ups for small things-5 minutes tardy, eating a fry, etc.
    Salary is minimum wage
    Dirty environment-Any fast food place is going to be greasy, smelly, hot, and loud.

-Give proper training to new employees especially cashiers; doesn't have to be formal, at least teach them to properly fill drinks, bag orders, make milkshakes, make fries, etc.; little things to help entire crew out
    -Cut back on arbitrary rules; Employees got written up for very minor things. We had to constantly be busy which was very tiring. I was expected to sweep the floor like 5 times a day even if it was clean, just for the sake of looking like I was doing something

Basic Job, helps pay the bills

I worked at Burger King

Pros

Able to work a lot of hours

Cons

You smell after work, a shower is necessary

Should pay more than minimum wage

Sales, Profit, & Operations Coach

Former Employee - Sales, Profit, and Operations Coach in Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales, Profit, and Operations Coach in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Burger King full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Traveling
    Conferences
    Work Freedom
    Company car, gas card, and benefits were nice.

Cons

They don't care for their people...
    Your giving territory always got bigger after more coaches were fired.
    Company Values did not align with company's actions.

Care more about your people..... You should want to keep key people who produce results for your company.

like working at a daycare facility where i had to pay to work but then was reimbursed every two weeks!!!

Former Employee - Crew in Locust Grove, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Crew in Locust Grove, GA (US)

I worked at Burger King part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Got free food because of careless work ethics.

Cons

constant reminder of why i never wanted and will never go back to fast food the remainder of my existence or afterlife

quit hiring unprofessional and immature persons as staff or management team who lack nothing....BUT an education and respect for themselves...therefore respect for others!