www.brookdaleliving.com
Profile Unclaimed

It could be better: needs improvement.

Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Roswell, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Server/Waiter in Roswell, GA (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

The atmosphere is pretty pleasant.

Cons

Messing up your hours and paycheck

Please evaluate the people you choose to run some buildings because they might be incompetent.

Class Act, this company gets an A

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Brookdale is a great company to work for, with some of the finest people and innovative product offerings to enrich seniors lives. I love the that the company gives recognition to their employees for their hard work and dedication. There are great opportunities for growth, experience, and innovation. This is a great place to work!

Cons

Being a large company, comes change, but with change comes new opportunities!

Keep doing what you are doing, putting our residents and associates first!

No one wants to work at Brookdale

Former Employee - Director in Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Competitive wage for upper level directors, big company with stock options

Cons

Everything else about the job and company. Bad reputation and poor work environment definitely not worth the trouble.

Nothing but lies and run around

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

I honestly can't think of anything positive about this company beyond the fact that I am not there anymore.

Cons

I am receiving severance as a former employee. While employed, I experienced a culture with little to no communication and plenty of finger pointing. As a former employee, I have experienced nothing but lies and a run around proclaiming how corporate policies are more important than the people that made up the company. I have had items pulled from my check and NOT returned to me. Never seen another place where the employees were a revenue center in themselves.

Learn to see people as people, not numbers. Talk to each other. Follow up the on what you say you are going to do.

Can't wait to quit this damn job!!!

Current Employee - Community Level in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Community Level in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

There are plenty of pros if you are a district or regional manager...they do nothing, have no responsibility except verbally abusing employees and reporting up the chain that the slaves are in line.

Cons

They find ways not to pay your bonuses and expense reports, constant intimidation, systems are terrible, they hire psychos to regional positions, commit fraud, and expect employees to give up their families and dedicate themselves 24/7 to earn them more money. Can't find the negative stars... Culture is poor. Claimed values are bullcrap. I would never invest in this mess. There dozens of lawsuits just waiting to happen.

Sensitivity training. Terminate your regionals and start over. They are totally demoralizing. Look at turnover then ask yourself "how much is this costing? Why is it so bad? How can we fix it?". Listen to the staff that actually does work and to the residents. I would have retired with Emeritus. Now I can't wait to find something else. Quit having people get on this site to raise the average star rating in attempts to get off the list of worst companies to work for...accept the fact that you are one of the worst employers and do something to correct it. You've made no attempts to make it any better and that is FREAKIN' CRIMINAL!

Resident Assistant

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Other employees help each other.

Cons

1.There is not a professional in working schedule for employees.
    2.trying to hire many part-time employees. by doing this, they do not give their employees enough hours to work and in come that their employees can support their living cost.
    3. They always short pay their employees.
    4. the Management system is a mess.

1.Need to refresh and rebuild a Management system.
    2. care more about their employees then their employees can focus on their Residents.
    3. pay correct hours as well as rates

Good day

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Good residents Good times good days

Cons

Everything can be done better

Better

Please, trust me-don't work here!!

Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The residents and my coworkers were the only things that made this job enjoyable, for sure. I had many memorable conversations with the residents and I only wish that they weren't being taken advantage of for their money.

Cons

I don't know if all Brookdale locations are the same-but there are some serious root issues that can be seen even at the bottom of the company level.

First off- the management is lazy, and there is so much blame shifting and negligence. The managers would come in and demand us to work by the book, but then take off to do their own thing. During the near year that I worked as a server, I watched firsthand as our managers would only show their faces 2, maybe 3 times a week in the place they were supposed to be running. When our manager did show, it was only to yell at all the servers and cooks, then leave again.

Unprofessional- The only time that we would actually run things correctly was during corporate visits. As soon as corporate was gone, things were back to normal. There was so much chaos in the kitchen. No one ever seemed to know what their duties were and only the bare minimum was done. The managers played favorites with certain employees, looking the other way when they would directly break the rules.

High Turnover Rate and Frustrated employees- Numbers speak for themselves. In the 11 months that I worked, 10 other servers quit. Some of them tried to move to other positions within the company, but were still left with pay that wasn't meeting their needs, barely any training, and poor work/life balance. Some of them had been in the company for 6+ years and hadn't had a single pay raise since they started. The interview process wasn't even close to being thorough- they were desperate just to fill the holes with servers leaving in droves.

Ethics-This is by far what bothered me the most about working here. On the surface, we were told that Brookdale is all about the residents...but that is not what I saw in practice. The company is out for their money, not their well being. Lets just say that there's a lot of fine print, in everyone's contracts.

Managers- Take responsibility for you workplace and the people that are under your leadership. Listen to your employees, pay attention to obvious glaring issues instead of ignoring them. Don't promise high pay and good hours to interviewees if you have no intention of honoring that promise. Performance=Rewards

Terrible dietary service

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granger, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Granger, IN (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

Wonder residents.great nursing staff on AL and memory care.

Cons

ED was never in ding room to help. Dietary services very poorly run. Lack of staff initiative. Dirty dining room floor. Tables never set with all dishes or silverware

Instruct dietary workers how to appropriately set tables, serve food,and clean dining room. For the cost of the apartment and care. They should not have stained table clothes andfood left on silverware

Stay away

Former Employee - RCD in Allentown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - RCD in Allentown, PA (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living

Pros

NONE none at all none

Cons

Low pay, treated like dirt. Will terminate any employee on a whim.

Give it up.