Brookdale Senior Living

Updated 11 September, 2014
Updated 11 September, 2014
2.5

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great (in 13 reviews)

• Get to make a difference in the lives of the elderly every day (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be a bit distant as to what takes place daily in the communities (in 28 reviews)

• There is little to no job security and they operate mainly on fear (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Care Assocaite

Current Employee - Resident Care Assistant  in  Germantown, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Resident Care Assistant in Germantown, TN (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I love everything about my job, especially the residents. The management team here is really good, especially the nursing director and the resident care coordinator. The Executive Director even brought in a bank to discuss with us about the benefits of direct depositing our check. They really care about us as employees.

Cons

I would not change a thing. This is a great place to work.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Overall experience was ok but via recent acquisitions, the company has lost its soul and culture.

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Working with seniors from the Greatest Generation. Decent comp and benefits. Good support.

Cons

Constant, disruptive and demoralizing reorganizations.

Why are so many key leadership positions given to leaders from failing, underperforming companies like Horizon Bay and Emeritus?

I LOVE what I do

Current Employee - Director of Sales  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am very happy to be working for a comany that has such a passion for the people we serve, I truly feel like I make a difference in people's lives. This is not just a "job" it is a calling.
    I have worked in 3 different Brookdale communities and enjoyed my time in each of them. The company believes in growing their employees and promoting from within.

Cons

I have worked with challenging people, they are not a reflection of Brookdale as a whole.

Continue to facilitate a culture that places the resident's needs first.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employees are their best asset.

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The individual facilities and staff do their best and do care about service they provide to residents.

Cons

Local office is disorganized, field staff needs are low priority, salary linked to productivity (which is the norm in this industry)but scheduled assignments not fairly disbursed relative to geographic location/travel time so it is very difficult to meet standard, attitude seems to be "just get it done, don't care how". You survive by playing well with office staff as they control your every aspect of your work/home life with company. Have heard office staff openly talk about field staff in derogatory manner and everyone including management participated in discussion, even topics about individual performance improvement issues. Very poor employee training esp. with computer system. Employee either sink or swim. Swim at your own peril.

Upper management needs to look closely at mid level and local office management style. All say the right thing and do something entirely different. Very hostile towards field staff and abusive.

LOVE my boss!

Current Employee - Activities  in  Germantown, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Activities in Germantown, TN (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the atmosphere we have here at The Solana, it's happy, energetic and FUN! I honestly don't think "ugh, I have to go to work today"....more like "Yes! I have a fun job and the people I work with like me and I like them, the residents are happy to see me every day and I feel like I am making a very big difference in their lives. I am constantly encouraged by my supervisor, she has so many great ideas and loves to hear mine as well. I feel like this will be the company I ultimately retire from......many, many years from now!

Cons

I wish the facility were larger, we are almost at capacity and I feel bad for people living in less than optimum communities.

Training needs to be a little more cohesive and up to date.

Great company to work for.

Current Employee - Business Office Manager
    Current Employee - Business Office Manager

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The management team and staff at the community were I work is excellent. They truly care about the residents.

Cons

Very heavy workload, but the results are very satisfying.

Regional and corporate management need to be more in tune with the challanges faced by staff at the community level and provide a more formal and structured training for community leadership.

Best company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Sales and Marketing Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture and values of this company is alive in my community! Everyone from our care associates to our regional/divisional team want nothing more than the best for each resident and family we serve! There are also great beenfits and growth opportunities for the employees.

Cons

None! This is a growing company and the CEO is an amazing leader for us!

Thank you for your continued support and leadership! I look forward to many more years of working for this company thanks to all of you!

Great place to work

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

Knowledgeable clinical and operations teams make a great place to work.

Cons

Sometimes it is hard not to feel stagnate in your position

Brookdale

Current Employee - Cook  in  Clearwater, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Cook in Clearwater, FL (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

People, benefits, hours ,residents ,location.

Cons

Weird requests made for dinner service.

Great company that I'm glad to work for.

Current Employee - Executive Director  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Director in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cultures, people, benefits, growth potential

Cons

If I had any I wouldn't share them publicly.

Keep up the good work.

Brookdale Senior Living Photos

Brookdale Senior Living

+ Add Photo

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!