Brookdale Senior Living

Updated 30 September, 2014
Updated 30 September, 2014
2.5

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great (in 14 reviews)

• Feel as if I make a difference in the lives of the residents (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth (in 31 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion (in 11 reviews)

More Highlights

If I could get out and find something comparable in $ I would

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary, friends along the way, learning experience. Several locations to transfer to if needed within the area. Offer medical, dental and vision. 401k matching , group legal and others.

Cons

Bipolar management , have to be in good with people to survive. Too big too fast , no consistency among procedures from community to community. How do people get away with not following procedures so much? Max raise is %2 per year.

Really listen and talk to people on the bottom of the totem pole. It's not as peachy as you like to think it is.

I LOVE what I do

Current Employee - Director of Sales  in  Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Director of Sales in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

I am very happy to be working for a comany that has such a passion for the people we serve, I truly feel like I make a difference in people's lives. This is not just a "job" it is a calling.
    I have worked in 3 different Brookdale communities and enjoyed my time in each of them. The company believes in growing their employees and promoting from within.

Cons

I have worked with challenging people, they are not a reflection of Brookdale as a whole.

Continue to facilitate a culture that places the resident's needs first.

Best company culture I've ever experienced!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

People (associates, residents, leadership, peers), benefits, associates take pride in what they do! Opportunities for growth & advancement! Making a difference in the lives of the residents we serve!

Cons

None and if I did I wouldn't share it here. I would discuss with my RVP!

Keep doing what you do every day! As the CEO says, "If you're not serving a resident, serve someone who is!"

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

job

Former Employee - Cook  in  Peoria, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Cook in Peoria, AZ (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

it is a great company

Cons

the gossip like any job

they know vwhat they are doing

Underpaid, Overworked. Can I give 0 stars?

Current Employee - Care Associate
    Current Employee - Care Associate

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time

Pros

Free lunch and good residents

Cons

-Most of its employees are kept part-time forever.
    -We are always understaffed and the management just shrug their shoulders with the "deal with it" looks on their faces, they don't even care about the safety of the residents due to understaffing.
    -Our schedule changes everyday. One day, you're on this schedule, the next day, you're on that schedule. Why? Because there will always be someone to quit every month.
    -You are not allowed to go overtime. If you have pending works, clock out, and run back to finish it again.

Working for Brookdale has been a positive experience overall and would recommend it to others.

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The community I work at is like a family where both residents and associates feel comfortable to be there.

Cons

The only challenge I have faced was a work-life balance because of going to school and working full time.

Compensation could be more competitive for associates demonstrating above and beyond service.

RUN

Former Employee - Nurse
    Former Employee - Nurse

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time for more than a year

Pros

There is no reason to want to work for this company

Cons

This place had me thinking I had literally entered the twilight zone. Upper management did nothing to fix issues with staffing. They refused to fire staff that did frequent no-call no-shows. They refused to use agency staffing even when there is only one person who showed up that day. As a medical professional I felt placed in an unsafe situation every day. My last day there I sat in the parking lot 15 minutes early to see who decided to snow up for work that day...when no one else pulled up at 7am I had my answer. At least I only had to supervise myself..

Care about your residents and hire reliable staff. Stop worrying about your profits and bring in agency staff if absolutely necessary so that you don't have a neglect lawsuit later! There are ratio LAWS that have to be followed and you are NOT above the law!

Not a very clean or sanitary kitchen facility

Current Employee - Dietary Aide
    Current Employee - Dietary Aide

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living part-time for less than a year

Pros

Interactions with senior residents and some staff

Cons

Dirty and very unsanitary kitchen environment, lots of gossip amongst employees, management never there to assist with employees needs

CLEAN UP THE KITCHEN AREA and STOP ALL THE NEGATIVE GOSSIPING - also implement training sessions on sensitivity training and interpersonal skills

LOVE my boss!

Current Employee - Activities  in  Germantown, TN (US)
    Current Employee - Activities in Germantown, TN (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros

I love the atmosphere we have here at The Solana, it's happy, energetic and FUN! I honestly don't think "ugh, I have to go to work today"....more like "Yes! I have a fun job and the people I work with like me and I like them, the residents are happy to see me every day and I feel like I am making a very big difference in their lives. I am constantly encouraged by my supervisor, she has so many great ideas and loves to hear mine as well. I feel like this will be the company I ultimately retire from......many, many years from now!

Cons

I wish the facility were larger, we are almost at capacity and I feel bad for people living in less than optimum communities.

Training needs to be a little more cohesive and up to date.

Employees are their best asset.

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than a year

Pros

The individual facilities and staff do their best and do care about service they provide to residents.

Cons

Local office is disorganized, field staff needs are low priority, salary linked to productivity (which is the norm in this industry)but scheduled assignments not fairly disbursed relative to geographic location/travel time so it is very difficult to meet standard, attitude seems to be "just get it done, don't care how". You survive by playing well with office staff as they control your every aspect of your work/home life with company. Have heard office staff openly talk about field staff in derogatory manner and everyone including management participated in discussion, even topics about individual performance improvement issues. Very poor employee training esp. with computer system. Employee either sink or swim. Swim at your own peril.

Upper management needs to look closely at mid level and local office management style. All say the right thing and do something entirely different. Very hostile towards field staff and abusive.

Brookdale Senior Living Photos

Brookdale Senior Living

+ Add Photo

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!