Brookdale Senior Living
www.brookdaleliving.com Brentwood, TN 5000+ Employees

Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Brookdale Senior Living – Brentwood – “Brookdale Senior Living”

T. Andrew Smith

Pros:
  • "I work with some great people and the Residents are great"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Compassionate CNA staff that try to make a difference in Sr"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "This is verbalized by upper management so often, but never actually followed in truth"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Given little to no money and expected to work miracles and run a 5 star restaurant"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Employees streched to extremes

Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat residents friendly hardworking care givers kitchen staff making the best of the quality of the food they were able to purchase

ConsCaregivers overworked taking care of residents personal needs feed meals cleaning rooms minimal house keeping caregivers were expected to clean common areas

Advice to Senior ManagementTake better care of the great people you have

over worked under paid

Cna/Med Tech (Current Employee)
Sun City, CA (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

Prosthe residents they are the only reason i went to work so at least i knew they were getting the best possible care, i would work doubles come in on days off come in at 2 am because someone called off and end up working 12 hrs with no thanks

Constoo much work not enough help, coworkers hide so they dont have to answer calls lack of communication some employees make their own schedules and others with seniority get the left overs split days off and when you complain they say you have no choice work your schedule i find that is discriminating

Advice to Senior Managementwalk around instead of sitting in your offices all day, talk to the residents they will give you an ear full they dont communicate with employees, they change things add more work and tell us at the last minute appreciate the good employees instead of the ones that refuse to work any extra hours and they get what ever they want the schedule stays the same every week

An in-the-meantime-betweentime, type of company

San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

Pros...not very challenging, something to put on your resume...

Consit's like walking on eggshells... if your not one of "the chosen". Meaning: preferencial treatment is obvious, pay is disproportionate within job types, whispering and backstabbing are prominent and most dissapointing is the lack of genuine concern for the comfort and well-being of those left in their care.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean House! Make regular and unexpected visits to the facilities and have candid conversations with residents and staff. The high turn-over rate in certain departments is something serious to look into.

exciting job, flexible schedule

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living for more than 5 years

Prospay, PTO, quality, independence, consistency

Conspaperwork is too much and some buerocracy

Continual lies and dishonesty

Physical Therapist Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pros are numerous, including the residents and coworkers. It is obvious that staff wants to do a good job, but it seems to be continual chaos which leads to burnout and a sense of distrust

ConsThe cons make it very difficult for caring, committed individuals to last out the continual betrayals. With ongoing weekly turnover of every type of job description, including management, there is little consistency in method of delivering care. Everything changes continually and no one is there long enough to form cohesive teams and consistent methods of achieving care. Management seems to sell out employees to keep profit margin adequate, As the new eager workers start, those that have been there more than a few months can't help but think "just wait until they screw YOU over". The goals that the company has started are wonderful and it all sounds SO GOOD, but when the reality of managing the facilities sets in, many management folks seem to lie to keep the regional and district management staff satisfied... at the cost of the employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your staff - they are what will drive your client's satisfaction, not the lovely surroundings

Do not go there to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

ProsResidents and staff. Therapist and nurses are great! No driving unless you have to go to another community to help.

ConsManagement does not care about employees. No work life balance. Constant drastic changes in organization. Suggestions/Complaints go no where, usually not addressed at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees so they will be there to take care of residents.

"Wolf In Sheep's Clothing"

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for less than a year

ProsSadly I cannot think of anything beneficial in my few month experience there....

ConsBrookdale claims to want to be the "Solution for Seniors"......but all I can say is that I wish I had heard of Glassdoor when I was deciding to work for this company. It was a big mistake!! I had heard that it was a great company and had great training. That must have been a while ago because the property I was at was a hot mess! Residents moving out left and right; directors turning over multiple times.My position alone changed over 4xs prior to my hire. I thought it was just my property but apparently its a company wide issue after browsing on here. All they care about is money at least in regards to selling private duty services.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page with corporate and local management.....geeze. The right hand doesn't know what the left is doing and good employees are ping ponged in the middle. Oh and tell your regional leaders not to call their subordinates names when they are chastising them on the phone!

Worst company ii have ever worked for!

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

ProsResidents are great ... Associates work extremely hard to help Residents in spite of Brookdale.

ConsManagement - no clue/no concept of team work/"clicky" (like being back in junior high school)

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up! Listen to your ASSOCIATES ... they are your lifeblood! Show them some RESPECT and have the professionalism to recognize them. I have never witnessed such a "clicky" management team in my life. Suggestions are ignored; ED has no clue what's going on. Company says "take care of the resident and the bottom line will take care of itself" which they do not adhere to. If you do your job helping a Resident and spend 1 minute OT doing that, you are reprimanded. Absolutely insane.

I did learn that I will never put myself in this kind of situation again ... Brookldale did teach me that. Terrible, terrible employer.

BY THE WAY your commercials are ridiculous ... Talk about over saturation. I can't even watch HGTV on a weekend without being inundated by their commercials and I really don't want to think about work on my days off. I also would NEVER recommend Brookdale to a potential resident or for employment.

Nothing but pay cuts for the nurses for increased responsibilities, all the while management continues to get bonuses!

RN Case Manager Home Health (Current Employee)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou set your own schedule

ConsThe managers have no idea what they are doing!

I try to separate the wonderful experience of serving residents and families from dealing with unfeeling, inept managers

Florham Park, NJ (US)

I have been working at Brookdale Senior Living full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn theory, webinars, chats, computer trainings and BSL net very helpful.

ConsED very sneaky, insincere, moody. vindictive. uses favoritism, and divide and conquer techniques. CEO very unaware of what goes on in communities and sadly, a far cry from Bill Sheriff. Can't have insensitive, unaware people (and only interested in financials) manage peoples' lives. Since expensive marketing, budgets cut and only concern is getting the dollar in and not keeping promises made to vulnerable unsuspecting families/residents. Company is now too big and too removed from what the mission and cornerstones are. They are just meaningless, well put together words, but Brookdale needs more regulations on the ED and the regional operations.. Mr. Smith.. get your hands dirty and come talk to the associates and not everyone in between who cover each other, as one lies and the others swear to it.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who care, not just those who need a job. Upper management needs to come to the communities and see for themselves. Forget the surveys. Most are not legit. Give the staff a well meaning leader/ED, with some real life experiences and not just spend less and get less quality leaders. Stop trying to feed people 3 meals a day on less than 5.00 per person per day. Don't say you give residents choices and then serve frozen food or make offers you don't keep. Shame on the guys in Tennessee who don't mean what they say but who have little to no compassion. Keep the buildings more properly staffed and stop covering up medical mistakes.

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Brookdale Senior Living reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Brookdale Senior Living CEO T. Andrew Smith. All 297 reviews are posted anonymously by Brookdale Senior Living employees.