Brookdale Senior Living

www.brookdaleliving.com

Brookdale Senior Living Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Brookdale Senior Living – Brentwood – “Brookdale Senior Living”

T. Andrew Smith

Pros
  • Peer group is great, supportive, residents are great(in 13 reviews)

• Great work hours and work life balance at the corporate office(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management can be a bit distant as to what takes place daily in the communities(in 28 reviews)

• Heavy turnover of management as well due to Work life balance out of proportion(in 8 reviews)

My Experience as a Sales & marketing Director at the Community Level

Sales and Marketing Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsI had an opportunity to work with some amazing individuals.

ConsI was employed by Brookdale Senior Living for two and half years. I was able to raise the occupancy at my assisted community from 78% to 98%. Being employed by Brookdale was extremely challenging. I was consistently asked to work long hours and many times would work two to three weeks without a day off., This was even after Brookdale decided to have their sales people go from salary to hourly. I was often told by my Regional Sales Director that not ending the month without a raise in occupancy was "not an option." Typical sales practices that were encouraged: to have a family sign the lease agreement without a physician's report or even before an assessment so our census numbers always looked positive. When I started to voice concerns over the condition and safety hazards of the assisted living community, for example torn carpet in hallways, inadequate lightning in the hallways, urine stain carpet in the residents apartments that never got replaced , and wallpaper in the hallways that never was not replaced but just painted over and peeling.. I was told by Senior management "that I no longer believed in the product." I was eventually terminated from my position for being negative. Once terminated, I was never able to collect my commission until I enlisted the help of the Corporate Human Resources Director. I thought being terminated by Brookdale was going to be a permanent scare on my resume. However, just the opposite I was told by several other assisted living companies at applied and interviewed at that the "best people always end up getting terminated by Brookdale." I have recovered from my experience at Brookdale and I though I was initially grateful for the opportunity to be employed by Brookdale. I am even more grateful not to be employed by Brookdale.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some very talented and caring people who are employed at the community. Please start treating them with respect.

How The Mighty Fall...

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe idea of "Optimal" health, life and community is a great idea. This may be the only way Brookdale can find its way out of mediocrity and back to exceptional service and care.

ConsManagement is not focused on the core community leaders or staff. The focus of Brookdale is only on big data, streaming from their data metrics and totally uninterested in each and every communities "story" of real people, caring for real people. In the book, How the Mighty Fall, Jim Collins explored the failures of companies that fall into "the undisciplined pursuit of more." It is true for companies and it is true for careers.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe Andy Smith will hire Jim Collins to consult on the unbridled and undisciplined greed and acquisition of acquiring more assets. The best way for a senior living care and services company to "grow" is to grow organically through the quality care and delivery of their core services OR maybe Brookdale will communicate the truth of who they are....just another real estate company. This real estate company wants the public to believe they "care" when they really only seem to care about getting bigger, not better.

Great Company, Amazing Support

ProsSupport on multiple levels from Corporate, through Fellow Managers

ConsLong hours at times. If you don't like reporting, might not be right for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a market rate analysis

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Training sucks here for therapists!

Therapy (Current Employee)

ProsThe patients complain on how they get nickel and dimed to death! Even if they are sick family members cannot go down to pick up food for them!

ConsNo training provided with the platforms they are utilizing to write notes! Pay is NOT commensurate with experience! Medicare A is over utilized for patients that are NOT homebound! Middle management might as well be high school students as they have no training in how to manage people and constantly flip flop on rules i.e. 10 hr work days or inconsistent caseloads or CEUs or for that matter ordering supplies! BTW taking out the trash and cleaning bathrooms while not a part of our job description will be performed! If your hurting for work as a therapist go somewhere else like Aegis!

Advice to Senior ManagementGo get some training on how to manage us minions!!

Not what it used to be! Sadly disappointed former Director.

Executive Director (Current Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsResidents were the best part.

ConsWhere do I begin!?! The company changed dramatically over the last two years. Staff was cut with directive to cut/lay off immediately. Regional staff told me to email them that afternoon of the staff positions I would cut to satisfy bottom line numbers. Not based on budget or resident needs-but some calculation that no one could explain where it came from. It was a culture of "gotcha" rather than support. We were compensated fairly, but conversely instructed to lay off care staff and servers. Forget the bonus and let us have staff. Glad I'm gone. Much less stress.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut the residents first! Practice servant leadership! Let communities be different and better without micromanaging. Stop trying to catch people making mistakes.

Title of Position was not even remotely accurate in describing the responsibilities.

Sales and Marketing (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsInteracting with and helping to care for Seniors. Helping them to improve their "Quality of Life".

ConsPoorly managed in every department, high employee turnover, lack of autonomy for any role to perform their duties without being "micro-managed".

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you got rid of half of the managers, the company would still run better than it is now. There are way too many Chiefs and not nearly enough Indians.
    Spend more time talking with your employees to pro-actively allow internal issues to be addressed.Do not just pop into a community for photo opportunities and Directors meetings.

none

Prosnone the job is good but it is a little confusing about job titles and what my job title actually is.

ConsI like working with people and the responsibilities I have taken on at brookdale senior living in lisle Illinois.

Sales Manager

Sales (Former Employee) Columbia, SC (US)

ProsGreat benefits, great management staff, good work environment

Conswatch your back, you just never know who is friend or who is foe

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen the enemy is relaxed, make them toil. When full, starve them. When settled, make them move.”

Brookdale has no value for human life unless they can make money off of it.

Marketing Director (Former Employee) Denver, CO (US)

ProsI worked for Brookdale for 9+ years... I loved it for a long time, but profit became the only focus.

ConsExpectations were ridiculous. Residents were never put first - only profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementResidents are NOT numbers - they are human beings who deserve respect and adequate care. Brookdale's continued practice of cutting staff and cutting hours is going to come back and literally, kill some one. The community I worked at was a high level of care Assisted Living... 85 residents and 3 staff from 10pm to 6am. Sometimes only 2. And only 5-6 care associates during the day. This type of staffing for people who need two-person transfers, help with feeding tubes, catheters, bathing, dressing and medications was insane. Brookdale is fully aware of this limited staffing - they actually promote it because it saves money and projections to Wall Street look better. It broke my heart to leave, but ethically I could not continue to work for a company who has so little value for human life. They only care about the bottom line.

Company does not value it's people.

Regional Position (Current Employee)

ProsThe residents are the best part of this job.

ConsMicromanaging employees does not bring value and results. This company only cares about being the largest and profits...not about putting the resident first. They do not empower people.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture has changed dramatically. This is NOT the same company it was 3 years ago. Faith, Family and Job are no longer the core values. They expect more and more without any rewards....just be thankful you have a job. The stress is overwhelming. Horrible, horrible company to now work for.

Worked for Brookdale Senior Living? Contribute to the Community!