Bridgepoint Education

Bridgepoint Education Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark

Andrew S. Clark

Pros:
  • "Good benefits, decent wage for the area, San Diego has a higher cost of living"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Great benefits, awesome co-workers, and willing to help"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management never knows what they're doing"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Admissions Counselor is the most misleading title ever"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The people are not the problem, the system is. Good people, broken system.

Legal (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI know I would love my co-workers if I spent time with them outside of work. However, the system makes me dislike some of them because of what they are asked to do, not who they are. The pay is decent, manageable. I love being an exempt employee, I probably would not work here is I was asked to not be.

ConsSince I have the job I do, I see all of the wrongs the university does as a whole, from a student's perspective. The system is definitely more valuable than the employee. I wish I would have worked here before it became a "public" company.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet new management. I cannot stand it when the system is put before the employee, not a recipe for success.

Great company!

Student Service Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat benefits, awesome co-workers, and willing to help.

ConsA large company, sometimes can make you feel like a number

A company that has values, but does not practice them.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits, pay (but only in some departments), and friendliness of most employees.

ConsLack of transparency, firings that do not make sense (I was not fired, but I saw many people who were), corporate greed, and bad upper level management (many people were promoted because they were just there, not because they were great leaders). If you work in a non-revenue generating department, you may be under paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive up to your values, and stop putting money ahead of the well-being of your staff.

Great intention, bad invention

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBridgepoint pays very generously, and the benefits are out of this world.

If you're not into accountability or feedback, this is the place for you. You can expect an automatic pay increase of between 2-5% every year, in exchange for losing the right to negotiate your salary.

Very casual environment, everyone just shows up whenever they feel like it, and no one keeps track of sick days or vacation time. We come and go as we please.

ConsThis company revels in its incompetence and covers it up with huge paychecks and benefits.

HR, training and development are a joke. The corporate culture there allows people to behave rudely without repercussion. There is no clear path for promotion or advancement. The few people who do get promoted tend to be friends of the executives.

If you need to get information or find someone to do something for you, good luck. It can take a whole day of emailing around to different departments before you find the right person, and the she'll tell you it's not her job.

Minor decisions and processes that should only take a day or two to get done will often get stretched out for weeks on end. It takes an act of Congress to get a project started, let alone finished.

There is no vision. No strategy. No long-term plan beyond "keep our accreditation, no matter what." As a result, the Legal department pretty much has veto power over every little decision.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being so insular and talk to us. Show your face, instead of hiding behind your office door or in your private seventh-floor gym. We've gone for months without seeing you. Give us some kind of strategy or vision. 90% of being a leader is just showing up.

HAPPY TO HAVE A JOB

AR Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou are guaranteed raise each year

ConsThey have no problems lowering your pay if you change positions. HR needs to be evaluated and replaced with competent staff with relative experience.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a standard practice to promote from within and start with members of your own team.

If you dont mind inside sales with outbound calling of their so called "warm leads" then its great.

Military Enrollment Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

Pros-Training
-Decent Pay for introductory/first time career
-Fun atmosphere until the micromanaging sets in
-Young corporate culture

Cons-Micromanaging
-They say you are an enrollment advisor-its pretty much telemarketing
-They only care about the numbers-couldnt care less of actual student success other than the academic advisors.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop micro managing!

A place of potential noble work falls greatly short on many levels

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent/competitive pay, nice building, clean bathrooms, nice cafeteria, supportive environment to foster education related goals, some very smart people, a few fair leaders with integrity

ConsWhere do you start? Ironically, being qualified, focused, or educated does not lead to success or career growth opportunities here. Its about playing the game here. This political place lacks focus from 'leaders' & transparency (& its getting worse), applies dysfunctional processes (even after $$$ spent on expert product development consulting to shake up the org. with agile processes), is governed by arrogant/short-sited management, w/ visions of improvement through constant changes/re-orgs. But the end result is high turn-over, demoralized staff, and uninspiring 'innovation'. Skills available not utilized, new titles/roles fail to reflect true expertise, and many feel insulted/invisible/under-valued.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey don't listen, but in the rare chance they do here it is: Management - If you really care about the future of education with the intent to be a leader in this field of innovation for educational technology & if you care about your employees developing solutions for you, then take an honest look at what processes/innovation-approaches are really being implemented & how. Don't assume new leadership is driving things for the better. Don't assume they are really the voice of those hired to innovate. Reach out to the talent that lacks a voice. Your turn-over is high. You are pushing out those who deserve to be respected & appreciated. Employees are frustrated. Your choices are leading to poor outcomes & low morale. You are missing an opportunity to make a difference. You have staff that cares about doing the right thing, but feels undervalued & deeply demoralized.

Great opertunity for growth!

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBridgepoint moves very fast. If you are excited by a very fast paced work environment, take a look at Bridgepoint. You will be able to grow as the company grows.

ConsIf you are not used to changing roles and responsibilities often, you might be frustrated with the company’s fast pace and constant state of change.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone.

Everything Depends on your Department

Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking at Bridgepoint varies a ton depending on what department you are in. I lucked out and had supportive managers and worked on a relaxed fun and exciting team. Hearing about the working environment in other parts of the company it was a completely different experience.

ConsOverall the company has some lame policies. There is so much they can do to improve student learning that they are just not investing in. The benefits are fine and are about level with other corporate mid sized companies in the area, nothing to write home about. There is a lack of carrear tracks in some areas and the only way to move up if you hit the senior level is to become a manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall my experience with direct and senior management in my division was great. It was just a few levels further up that we had problems with. You hired people who are smart and know what they are doing, listen to them sometimes don't just be a dictator.

Great Place to Work.

Student Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe work environment is family oriented.

ConsYou are not going to get rich, but you will make a comfortable living.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Worked for Bridgepoint Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bridgepoint Education reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bridgepoint Education CEO Andrew S. Clark. All 75 reviews are posted anonymously by Bridgepoint Education employees.