Bridgepoint Education

Bridgepoint Education Reviews

Updated Apr 09, 2014

Bridgepoint Education CEO and Director Andrew S. Clark

Andrew S. Clark

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, awesome co-workers, and willing to help"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Good benefits, decent wage for the area, San Diego has a higher cost of living"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is not great at communicating"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The Admissions Counselor job is a rough one that is effectively a sales job with no incentive pay and a lot of turnover"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Telemarketing Company in Disguise

Military Admissions Counselor (Former Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, great working hours (M-F). You have your own cubical and can decorate it how every you choose. Good tuition program for employees.

ConsYou are a telemarketer, not a counselor. You have to meet a quota or you will get fired. Managers and Directors are having extramarital affairs, lots of favoritism-so those people get better treatment. Very difficult to transfer out of the Admissions Department.

Advice to Senior ManagementSet a better example. If you know that a counselor has great potential, give him/her a better opportunity by recommending them for other positions.

Garbage Place to Work For

Admissions Counselor/Student Advisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe environment and the people you work with can be great.

ConsSome managers suck at their job. Upper management never knows what they're doing. Constant change and inconsistency with policies can add stress to the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWake up because you are losing valuable employees. Andrew Clark stop being so greedy and give back to your employees who work hard to fill your pockets.

fun environment but shaky future

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education

ProsVacation time
cafeteria on site
fun co-workers

Conslow salary
decrease in employee engagement activities

Company is in turmoil.

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

ProsEducation benefit, healthcare benefits, people are great to work with

ConsCompany is in turmoil, silo mentality, departments do not share information, CEO and senior management are not visible, managers are inexperienced and not mentored.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on long term goals and culture of the organization. Show appreciation for employees and start communicating with all levels of staff. Be more visible.

Sad to see such a great place go downhill

BTS (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI worked for BPE for 5 years. The earlier years were amazing even if a bit dysfunctional at times. There was better community, camaraderie, team work, an air of cooperation, and a true desire to become better at all we did. We may not have always achieved doing a specific process better but we tried and were truly interested in improving. The team events in the department were phenomenal! We felt like a community and had events that encouraged that we be connected. I had true friends I will carry on into my other positions. We protected and looked out for each other. That all started to change when we went public.

ConsAfter going public, the senior management and C-level folks made the priority the shareholders, not doing the right thing for the company or the business. Because of that the company work environment went downhill. Morale took a hit. BTS in particular kept thinking the answer to fixing all our business problems was to keep reorganizing. They would wait 6 months, then reorganize again, never letting us settle into something constructive and productive. Our efficiency kept dropping as did the desire to work as a team. The only reason I stayed for the last year was my love of the people I worked with, and second was the desire to stay in a job I had verses going in search of one.

Then we had the first major layoff in January 2012. It was the single most horrible experience in over 20 years of working I have ever experienced. I wasn't laid off but many of my friends were. And they were treated so inhumanely it ended up being a traumatic experience rather than a manageable one. Not that it would have been easy no matter what, but seeing people treated as if they were a number, a criminal or simply didn't matter was just horrible. Then I saw about 100 people leave after the fact...just from BTS. It was hard to be motivated to work for a company that no longer had any desire to be loyal to its own people.

The benefits slowly are being whittled away so that more of the expense is picked up by the employee and the quality of the benefit is going down. Because BPE had to become more fiscally responsible (and they certainly needed to do so), the team events were cut back drastically. While that makes sense, they could have been replaced with less expensive things, like a day out at the park, potlucks, or other things like that. I didn't expect my employer to pick up the tab for everything. I can contribute. As a matter of fact, people tend to take ownership and have pride in what they directly contribute to.

And BTS' senior management does a very poor job with strategic planning. And there is no excuse for it. Planning and execution should have been their primary job. And they failed to do so every year. This last year was the closest and it was still poorly structured. And forget communicating it. What was thought about stayed in the management meetings and never went any further. Poor communication and poor execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementSee the cons...strategic planning, communication and execution. Take some classes and learn how to do that. Most of you are simply poor at it. I really think Andrew Clark is more interested in his bonus than in his company and what he started it for. $12 million in bonuses to date this year. I would have given it back given how many people have had to be cut. And we really couldn't afford to cut in BTS. And figure out how to encourage team work without spending a lot of money. It's possible to do. I did it while there and tried to do so as an example of what could be done. You're leaders...lead.

CEO running company into the ground

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 5 years

ProsIn general the employees are good people who you'd be happy to work/socialize with.

ConsThe CEO is making decisions just to save his job, and not helping the company move forward in any one of a dozen directions that it could be going in.

* 10% Annual RIF
* Budget cuts
* Training budgets removed

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the CEO and bring in someone who can give this company direction again.

It's been a great run

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat learning opportunity for me. The growth was incredible and sustained for a long period of time. I thoroughly enjoyed all the opportunities that were presented to me.

ConsIt's now a big corporation with some significant risk because of the accreditation status of Ashford University. The Admissions Counselor job is a rough one that is effectively a sales job with no incentive pay and a lot of turnover. The IT department has been behind for years. They just can't seem to stay up to pace with the business.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlan and communicate - that's where the opportunity is.

Pleasant

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education for more than a year

Prosit provides flexible work hours

ConsThe model they are using might take down turn

The worst/most stressful job I ever had.

Admissions Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than 3 years

ProsMy co-workers were fun, friendly and smart despite the overall negative vibe created by leads and managers.

ConsInexperienced managers who did not practice what they preached.
Highest turnover rate of any employer I have ever known.
Outing employees in group meetings for job performance -- who trained these people?
Harassment of employees and open discrimination.
There is no salary that can compensate for being treated as sub-human.
Salary in my department was low.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some leaders who have leadership skills and experience.
Treat employees as people and not machines.

Entry Level Haven

Student Inquiry Coordinator (Current Employee)
Poway, CA (US)

I have been working at Bridgepoint Education full-time for more than a year

ProsGoals are direct and understood from the top to the bottom

ConsOpportunity for growth is very limited

Worked for Bridgepoint Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bridgepoint Education reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bridgepoint Education CEO Andrew S. Clark. All 75 reviews are posted anonymously by Bridgepoint Education employees.