Boy Scouts of America

Updated 23 September, 2014
3.3

Boy Scouts of America Chief Scout Executive Wayne Brock
Wayne Brock

Pros
  • As an employee, you can make a difference in the lives of scouts and leaders (in 10 reviews)

• You get to meet great people trying to better their community (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Hours can be real long and there are many nights and weekends (in 13 reviews)

• Ultimately I left to achieve a better work life balance for my family's sake (in 13 reviews)

More Highlights

From dawn to dusk what the volunteer doesn't the DE must.

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are several reasons to work for the Boy Scouts of America. I will list a few; satisfaction of giving back to your community, bettering the life of a youth that needs it, networking opportunities, working with youth, outdoor recreation, constantly changing work environment, set your own schedule, Insurance and benefits are some of the best, relocation to anywhere in the nation, choose who you want to work with, looked at as role model for the future leaders of the country, held to a higher standard, the ability to make a difference through the timeless values and morals of scouting and lots of opportunity for travel. It is a great way to gain valuable experience that you cannot achieve with any other organization. It is one of the most well known and reputable non-profit organizations in the world. It speaks tremendously for your character. I could go on and on about the value of some of the intrinsic benefits of working for the Boy Scouts of America.

Cons

There are several reasons to be weary of this position. If you are not willing to devote the majority of your time to the mission of this organization then this may not be the position for you. A District Executive has a very prestigious title, tremendous amounts of responsibility, and pay that is comparable being the assistant manager of a McDonald's. Be prepared to travel constantly. It is not unreasonable to travel 2-3 hours round trip for a 30 minute meeting or no meeting at all. The work life balance is very delicate and hard to achieve. You may find yourself working a few months without a full day away from scouting. While I believe the morals of Scouting are a keystone in society. It is very demanding and definitely not your typical 9-5. Everything else should take second place in order to be promoted. You are the vision and the direction of the movement. It is more of a calling or a mission than a job. You have to base your schedule around the schedule of the means to meet your goals and the schedules of the volunteers that you choose to work with. If you are not able to delegate tasks to the right volunteers you will fail or become burned out. Also, volunteers can and will be very difficult to work with in some situations. Some will throw you under the "Energy Bus" if you try to get off of their bus.Some volunteers resent you for being the paid professional and they think that they want your job. Your career will live and die by the volunteers. It is very important to place them wisely. The organization is very top heavy with management. The supervisory lines are sometimes unclear and counterproductive. The policies and paperwork are tremendous. Scouting as an organization is very effective at covering all of the bases to protect the brand. The database software is older than I am and not very user friendly. Change is a very slow and cumbersome process. Staff meetings are very repetitive and also seem counterproductive at times. You need to plan meetings to have other meetings to go to a conference to have more meetings. Also, you need paperwork for all of your paperwork. What I am saying is, the national business model is pretty effective and streamlined in theory. However, that theory may not translate effectively into the subcultures of the individual councils. At the end of the day it is the best job that you will ever love to hate. That is a quote that my district executive used to tell me when I asked him about the job. The high's are very high and short lived. The low's are very low and sometimes long lasting. You spend the majority of your time chasing high in the sky numbers and paperwork. It sometimes seems like the organization as a whole is losing sight of what really matters. To me what really matters is giving that youth an experience that he will take with him for the rest of his life and one day share the same experiences with his children through Scouting. Scouting is about creating a better america through timeless and tested values of the Scout oath and law. It is easy to lose sight of that in the membership projections and Fos campaigns. At the end of the day you couldn't pay me enough money in the world to do this job. That is why you cannot do it for the money or you might last 3 months. I do it because I believe in what the organization stands for and I wouldn't want to imagine a world without Scouting. Through the morals and values of the Scout Oath and Law my life has been forever changed for the better. I know what it has done for me. I know that it can do the same for someone else, for a youth in the community that needs it. It may not mean something to everyone, but to someone it means everything.

Innovation is key in today's ever changing "social media" society. Hire more field staff to better serve the youth of america. The "less is more" outlook on paid professional staff limits council efficiency and undermines maximum potential.

Great working environment

Former Employee - Waterfront Instructor  in  Avalon, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Waterfront Instructor in Avalon, CA (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun, meaningful interaction with scouts, lots of opportunity for promotion

Cons

Supervisor skill and competency level varied greatly

Make the interview process much more rigorous

Fun and enjoyable

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

Fun to deal with kids.

Cons

No promotional opportunities, not great pay

Come visit your councils. Stop asking for money

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Volunteers Poor Management

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time

Pros

Get to work with great volunteers and know that you are impacting the development of youth in community and community as a whole. The job is for a self-motivated individual and provides flexibility in scheduling.

Cons

Not comfortable sharing the cons

Fulfilling if you don't mind being overworked and under paid

Former Employee - Executive Staff  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Executive Staff in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Make a difference in kids lives

Cons

Major cultural issues. Upper management focus is on next career opportunity and not about improving the program.

Focus on the program and the growth will take care of itself.

Overall an enjoyable time.

Current Employee - District Executive  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - District Executive in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than a year

Pros

The job is a lot of fun, you meet a ton of interesting volunteers. You are typically sent to one training a year to further your knowledge of the company and management styles. You receive a far amount of management training within the first few months of being hired. The professional staff is very personable.

Cons

Strange and long hours, lots of nights and weekends! Management is very task focused during parts of the years. A lot of pressure on quotas. You do make your own schedule but maintaining a work-life balance is difficult, based on many night and weekend commitments.

If you're community-oriented, this is your home.

Former Employee - Para Professional  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Para Professional in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible and close-knit, family like workplace. Work-life balance is very easy to maintain. Little complaints.

Cons

Travel and office culture - which I wouldn't consider a con, but definitely something new and different than what I had been used to.

Worked at a summer camp; It sucked.

Former Employee - Aquatics Director  in  Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Aquatics Director in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Boy Scouts of America as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Working outside, good co-workers, nice weather

Cons

A lot of bureaucracy, frustrating to get anything done, boss was rude and talked down to employees

Mostly good seasonal employment, needs lots of improvement

Current Employee - First Aid Counselor
    Current Employee - First Aid Counselor

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America part-time for less than a year

Pros

-the camaraderie: All the members of camp staff are very supportive and willing to assist you in every way they can. I got to know people outside my area in ways that I couldn't in other work environments.
    -the mentorship: My Area Director supported me in every way she could and guided me to become a better teacher. Also, she taught the cooking merit badge, I often ate free food before lunch and during the afternoon.
    -the mission: I taught First Aid, and I felt that I was enriching the lives of the Scouts by teaching them to treat basic injuries, and if need be, save lives.
    -teaching independence: I had a great amount (but by no means unlimited) autonomy to teach the class in the way I thought best.
    -free room and board: Staying in an cabin with air conditioning is a nice perk, especially during the hot summer months. The food, however, is mediocre (see "Cons" below)
    -beautiful environment: I worked at a beautiful camp with lots of trees and lakes. The sunsets were unbeatable.
    -leadership: Although there were a few issues, the senior staff did a great job implementing the program and we received numerous complements.
    -the Scouts: The best Scouts will make your day and remind you why you chose to staff camp.

Cons

-low pay: as a first year staffer, I received less than $100 a week when paycheck time came around. I could have worked the same number of hours at a minimum wage job and made much than at camp, even after accounting for the room and board I received.
    -the food: the menu was the same every week. Enough said.
    -disregard of previous experience: I had two years of experience staffing other Boy Scout summer camps, but I was paid like a first-year staffer.
    -communication: there weren't any pre-departure emails or remainders sent out before camp. As a result, I forgot my physical and had to get it faxed to camp. Also, staff were not given a written schedule of events during camp, which resulted in some awkward moments with Scouts and adult leaders when I could not answer their questions.
    -the gossip: I will admit that I enjoyed the gossip at camp, but it can destroy the morale of a camp environment. My experience as a staffer at camp would have been diminished if I became the center of gossip.
    -limited exposure: With one exception, I only taught First Aid and CPR for five weeks straight. A greater variety of teaching duties would have been nice.
    -class sizes: For two weeks, my average class size hovered around 30 Scouts For a hands-on class like First Aid, the class size should be at least half that. Also, discipline is a greater issue in larger classes.

-communication: Be more forthright about issues important to the staff, including sensitive topics such as layoffs and staff discipline issues. Don't leave people guessing. Also, sent out pre-departure emails so everyone is on the same page when they get to camp.
    -pay: It's hard to keep staff motivated if they are not paid competitive wages. At the bare minimum, a 50% increase in salary is warranted, especially considering the long hours all staff members put in to keep the camp running.
    -class sizes: Encourage troops to enroll in later weeks during the summer. That way, class sizes are more evenly spread out.

BSA

Current Employee - District Executive BSA  in  Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - District Executive BSA in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Boy Scouts of America full-time for less than a year

Pros

good job, pays decent for small town

Cons

bad job, everyone wants in your business

free time please

Worked for Boy Scouts of America? Contribute to the Community!