Bottomline Technologies Reviews

Updated 26 August, 2014

2.5

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 7 reviews)

• Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Working at BT

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

a. Good benefits; b. Good salary; c. Outstanding U.S. locations; d. Good product lines, which support a variety of industries.

Cons

a. Too many lay offs; b. Management (at times) uses a knee jerk reaction to things. c. Don't even try to talk to the Office Supervisor in Alpharetta--runs the place like a Prison of War camp.

a. Trust and rely on employees--they have a lot to offer.

Stuck in the past, stalling in the present, scared of the future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

In many ways, working at Bottomline is just your average, monotonous office job. That’s one of the nicest things I can say about this company.

Fruit bowls in the office, although sometimes under-provisioned, are a welcome touch.

Employees are given free food each fortnight, alternately breakfast bacon/sausage rolls (under the sickly guise of ‘Happy Monday’) and pizza. All this, but no healthcare plan. Trying to kill us off?

Cons

Growing too quickly for its infrastructure. The company is trying to double revenue every three years, yet ploughs so little of that money back into its increasingly overstretched systems that the whole thing is likely to come tumbling down at any minute.

Growth is through acquisition and the process seems to be:
    1. buy company that’s turning over a decent profit by selling better software
    2. make majority of the acquired company’s staff redundant
    3. take over their customers in order to sell them Bottomline’s archaic software instead.

This is an American company and as such you can expect ‘mission statements’, motivational posters & regularly updated boiler plates, overbearing middle management requiring constant progress meetings, a total commitment to maximising short term profit and dictation from the US board regardless of your own local market.

It’s embarrassing to be involved with a company that claims to have fantastic customer service (there’s even a pitiful ‘customer service’ campaign with logos and mottos to convince people of this) but which has the highest ratio I’ve ever come across of unhappy to satisfied customers.

The fastest growing department is human resources. They need extra people to handle all the redundancies and resignations! Second is marketing, who are needed to create the motivational posters and customer service propaganda.

One part of the Reading office is bolted on to the Crown Prosecution Service building, with shallow airless work spaces. The other is an ex-warehouse office building with barely any natural light, with nowhere to go to escape the ‘work area’. In general the office atmosphere is muted and formal, making it a particularly unpleasant place to work.

Middle-senior management is a boys club. Not to say that it necessarily needs more women, but people in those positions should adjust their behaviour to lose some macho bravado and make some more level-headed decisions.

If you want to grow make sure you can handle it first. ‘Building houses on sand’ comes to mind.

The internet exists, embrace it. Other companies are miles ahead in ‘cloud’ products (i.e. they actually have one). Burying your heads in the sand isn’t going to make it go away, and competitors are taking away more of your core market each month. I suppose you could always just buy another company and bastardise their code instead of developing your own.

You’re clearly a software company but you’re scared of using the word ’software’ to describe your business activity. Make your minds up.

Senior management is not there to be worshipped, please cut back on the compulsory conferences where you expect our adulation for what you’ve been doing with your $3 million salary over the last few weeks.

Good place to work at

Former Employee - QA Engineer  in  Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location, upper management were very good. Quarterly meetings were typically fun.

Cons

Getting laid off due to business reasons

Look to keep good people internally if there is an opportunity for them to move internally to stay employed and contributing to the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be OK, but not now

Current Employee - Senior Manager
    Current Employee - Senior Manager

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

For the most part the non managerial people are good to work with, however there has been an exodus of good hard working people over the past few years. I can't say the same thing about senior management however. Health insurance is good. Basically if you are a junior level person and want to get some experience and can keep your head down and out of the way of senior management it's not too bad of a place. I wouldn't recommend that anyone stay longer than 5 years (get some experience and get out) or try to climb the ladder unless you are a good yes man and have a talet for stabbing your peers in the back.

Cons

The culture is really toxic at the higher levels - you need to constantly watch your back. The company motto is 'With and for each other' which could not be further from the truth. This all really stems from the CEO and flows down so until there is a change at the top I don't see the company culture changing.

The atmosphere is really driving good people away which is too bad - the strength of the company could really be improved if there was a shift towards listening to differing opinions instead of rewarding those who parrot the same ideas senior managment has already decided on.

Refreshing!

Current Employee - Technical Consultant  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Consultant in Reading, England (UK)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great salary. Free massages. Pizza Friday. Car allowance. Friendly team. Reliable products and a friendly attitude. Annual holiday entitlement that increases yearly. Good bonus scheme.

Cons

Need to realise that they do encroach on the home/work balance sometimes too much. Staff need tolearn to map ready better when booking jobs. Very little quality control.

Listen to your employees ideas more.

Fabulous place to work in every aspect!

Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist  in  Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Enrollment Specialist in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I look forward to coming to work every day. Why? Because Bottomline really cares about its employees. I have the feeling that my opinion matters from the CEO, to Vice Presidents and Managers as well as my co-workers. The culture is built around "working with and for each other" and I have seen this consistently throughout my time here. The message I hear from the senior staff is that I am doing a good job and that I am a valued employee. Who doesn't like recognitiion for a job well done? Moreover, it's clear that there is room for growth here--when a talent is recognized, management acts on it. In other words the focus is on the strengths of our skill set, rather than our shortcomings and then they run with that which makes it fun and rewarding. Employees share a strong work ethic--I always feel like it's team work and that we're moving toward a goal together. Managers are approachable, colleagues are a pleasure, the benefits are very generous--"think Matching 401K" and the environment is well--beautiful! If it's important to you to work hard, feel a part of and to feel satisfied at the end of the day, then this is the place for you.

Cons

From where I sit? None.

Good to Learn At, Quick to Plateau and Become Stifled

Former Employee - Digital Designer, Front-End Developer  in  Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Digital Designer, Front-End Developer in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

Location
    Benefit package
    Bonuses
    Potential for company growth
    Strong UI/UX team

Cons

The company is bogged down by an overbearing network of bureaucracy. For being a tech company, it is ironically slow to adopt new and forward thinking platforms and standards - their corporate website is a glaring example of this sort of backwards thinking.

Numbers and illusion of company gains are valued more than clear and honest communication with prospects and customers. Expect to have processes ignored and overstepped by management. The company does a good job at squashing any initiative or enthusiasm one would otherwise have for their position.

Resign. The company needs less of you and more of those in specialized fields.

VP Development

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

None what so ever! Oh Yes, if you can say "Yes Sir!" you will be a star.

Cons

No Vision or Goals. Very tactical no strategy. Treat workforce like an accordion. The CEO behavior is deplorable.

Understand software development 101 or remove the name "Technologies" from the name.

As short sighted as they come...

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I cannot think of any upside to working at Bottomline other than the potential to fade into the mix so much that you can pretty much just exist and take home your salary in many cases...mainly in Senior and Exec Management.

Cons

Innovation (product or market) is NOT a strength, even though it's often talked about.
    Strategic thinking is NOT something that is practised.
    Enabling employees to be successful is NOT a focus, not matter what field or geography.
    Micro management is rife.
    Absolutely no appetite to stay the course to achieve success in new or emerging markets.
    BT is STRICTLY, almost cripplingly so, a 90 day revenue focussed business and it doesn't care how or where it comes from.

Take a look outside the 4 walls and see how the REAL world, along with your competitors, is evolving.
    The business world is passing you by because you arrogantly refuse to keep up.

Worst company that I've ever worked for!

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Great location, co-workers are great!

Cons

Culture is purely toxic. Non revenue generating departments such as human resources have way too much influence on the "producers." Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management. Part of that issue is because no one is empowered at BT. The dysfunction here will eventually bring the company crashing down.

Communication must be improved. Since they are organized by product lines and verticals, communication between the silos is non-existent and very frustrating. You might also want to reduce the power in those non-revenue generating departments STAT. To have a VP in software development report to a VP in HR is ludicrous.

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!