Bottomline Technologies

Updated 14 September, 2014
2.7

Bottomline Technologies President, CEO, and Director Rob Eberle
Rob Eberle

Pros
  • There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, free fruit in the summer, free ice cream (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk (in 7 reviews)

• Too many VP's and not strong enough middle management (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company for A players

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies for more than 5 years

Pros

Very much client delight focused, compensates well if you are making an impact.

Cons

if you are not good, does not take long to get fired

Great Company/Great Experience!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel fortunate to have been a part of the college hire program at Bottomline Technologies. I have been there just over a year and have had a very positive experience. Through this program, I have had the opportunity not only to meet with senior management but have also received a promotion. Bottomline Technologies has been both an advocate for my career and supportive monetarily. I look forward to many more years at Bottomline.

Cons

I do not have any complaints regarding Bottomline Technologies.

great place to start your career as a college hire

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

- 5-week training program with students from other schools; gain visibility to all business functions and vision
    - great leaders in the work place that nurture you
    - energetic people, open to questions and conversations
    - innovative business initiatives
    - work from home, depending on your job/day
    - great employment benefits
    - shower, espresso machine, keurigs, fruit baskets, ice cream on fridays, other fun things

Cons

- no cafeteria (but there's one in 1-min walking distance) or gym

- doing great!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dissapointing Experience

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Great pay, good benefits, stable and growing, I learned a lot and gained skills I wouldn't have had I not worked here.

Cons

very long hours - often with no lunch breaks, not enough resources to get the required work done, unprofessional HR department, dishonest leader

Listen to and develop your employees. Hire resources necessary to handle workload. Show some integrity. Practice what you preach. I do not feel this is a company that "works with and for each other" as they tout it to be.

Great example of how NOT to run a company.

Former Employee - Sales  in  Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Former Employee - Sales in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Bottomline has a pretty good benefits plan for a company of its size.

Cons

CEO does an all employee call each quarter to discuss company financials - complete with cow bells, bad jokes, and laugh tracks. Something similar to a very bad vaudeville act. CEO likes to talk about how well the company is doing..... then cancels bonus payouts at will, even when the company achieves its financial targets.

Create a real growth strategy that is strategic - and not one that focuses on buying poor performing companies in adjacent markets at a discount - just to prop up near term quarterly earnings.

Bottomline Technologies, The Grass is Not Greener

Current Employee - Product Specialist
    Current Employee - Product Specialist

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

There are great people to work with and the benefits are top notch.

Cons

The upper management Push, Push, Push to get everything done. Most employees seem to be overworked and under appreciated. There also seems to be a habit of cutting the workforce just prior to quarterly results so the "books" look more tenable to the Public Stock Holders.

Be more transparent and actually hire the staff necessary to carry the work load you expect to need.

Great start, but glad to be out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

pizza friday's and 'party in the carpark'
    Good banter and people

Cons

- Management and Execs don't know their own solutions, value prop or the market
    - They don't invest money in their existing solutions and find out what their customers want
    - They take advantage of people who care a lot and work long hours for little pay
    - Sales people are paid too much for doing far too little
    - Far too money orientated - quantity over quality
    - Personal development plans are ticks in boxes - no feedback is ever taken on board let alone any changes are made

I would get replace near enough all of them as they are far too comfy and don't innovate - they are loosing big customers due to their lack of vision and innovation.

Why do they keep Rob Eberle?

I worked at Bottomline Technologies

Pros

Some really nice people and nice work environment. They try to make it family friendly, but often this is in word not deed.

Cons

The CEO creates a hostile and demeaning atmosphere that is counterproductive to a healthy work environment. The pay is so-so and the benefits are average. The top management gets all the perks. The CEO drives a Porsche, naturally. There are no "free massages", so whoever wrote that is a bot.

It is time for Rob Eberle to go. What kind of strategy is it to denigrate your employees? Will this keep people here or attract the best people in the future? There are a lot of good people at Bottomline, but Eberle is a total fail. He blames others for his own mistakes, and instead of offering employees any constructive criticism so they might learn from a mistake he will send a scathing email copied to dozens of employees (guaranteed to embarrass) or shout at the poor person in front of half the office. I got out of this place fast because I have too much self-respect to put up with his crap.

Nice Company and people, but..

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Portsmouth, NH (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH (US)

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great corporate philosophy, great ethic of working 'with and for' each other, good pride in their work.

Cons

It's a sweatshop. No other way to put it. They talk of 'work-life balance', but they do not walk the walk. Very long hours are frequently expected.

If you say you believe in work life balance, practice that.

EMEA Growth by acquisition, not focused on clients

I have been working at Bottomline Technologies full-time

Pros

Their cash rich status will ensure stability in your career here. EMEA region is well established, with a managerial team that has grown steadily through acquisition

Cons

There's a lot of internal positioning that politics which will suck your time up in whatever role you take at this company. Their growth by acquisition approach typically results in throwing the valuable people away and adding products to their offering that they don't necessarily understand or know how to sell. Over time, the main area that suffers is the customer experience, ironically one of the main areas they spend their marketing budget on. Saying is not doing.

Stop working in silos and understand your processes from start to finish before assuming that your operations are in good working order. Give value to the client before bringing money into the equation.

Worked for Bottomline Technologies? Contribute to the Community!