Borders

www.bordersgroupinc.com

Borders Reviews in Chicago, IL US

Borders President and CEO Michael J. Edwards

Michael J. Edwards

Pros
  • Coworkers were fabulous people, love of books and music(in 24 reviews)

• They had a nice employee discount(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management didn't have a grasp on the stores as a whole(in 27 reviews)

• Borders kept around 40 employees on Part-Time status to avoid giving their employees benefits(in 13 reviews)

22 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Staff, Great Supervisor, Troubled Company

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe company wasn't doing well, but the people that worked alongside me turned what could have been an entirely negative experience into a mostly positive one.

My Supervisor, who was the District Manager of the Chicago Market, was a strong leader. He was honest and fair. I learned a lot from him and my time spent w/ him has helped in my post-Borders career.

My staff and colleagues, meanwhile, were equally strong. I learned as much from my subordinates as I did from my supervisors. We were in a sinking ship, and we knew it, and we worked together to keep it afloat as long as we could.

I worked in three separate stores while I was with Borders, and each experience was similar to the one before it; great staff, great supervisor, troubled company.

ConsFrom the onset of my employment, the company was in financial crisis. E-books were killing brick and mortar book retailers, and making our store monetary goals became more and more challenging as time went on. Everyone on staff knew that the book industry was in trouble. This made for some stressful situations. Company-wide conference calls were disheartening. Corporate management was panicked, and focuses were changing weekly in a desperate attempt to find something -anything- that would reverse the trends of the business. It was hard. And, ultimately, nothing worked. The company eventually closed its doors and we all lost our jobs.

Later, much...

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Wilmette, IL (US)

ProsWorking at Borders was perfect and frustrating.

ConsGone. Broke. Extinct. Not to worry.

not too bad, not too great either

Bookseller/Barista (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsBeing surrounded by books is always nice!

ConsHours and pay are not great!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A soulless piece of meat

Bookseller (Former Employee) Bolingbrook, IL (US)

ProsFun to work around books.

ConsManagement by humiliation
    Smokers allowed more breaks than non-smokers
    After 1 year of great service I was given a 00.17 raise
    Employees expected to prepare special events off the clock

Advice to Senior ManagementGoing on the "warpath" is not inspiring --

A Place To Be Missed

General Manager (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe People. The product. The customers.

ConsCould be stressful at times due to the uncertainty of the compaies fate.

Advice to Senior ManagementWish they could have saved her.

A good one

Bookseller (Current Employee) Griffith, IN (US)

ProsThe flexible schedule, the people, love of books and being appreciated.

ConsNo pay raises. Pushing us to books for donations to locale charities. This went on for way too long.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou needed to come down and do undercover boss and see exactly how things really were in the book selling trenches. But I guess your lack of concern in this area (our area), shows since you let the company go under.

I miss it....

Cafe Seller (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsGreat team
    Great customers
    Pay was ok

ConsLack of hours
    Lack of growth
    Snobby customers
    Store closing

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe yall should pay attention to more of the employee concerns if you are worried about numbers in the store. Most of our customers were returning customers so that whole Border Rewards percentage calculation was bs!

Run. Run very far away and don't look back!

Bookseller (Former Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

Prosmerchandise discount
    some great co-workers
    getting to see all the new book titles first
    flexible hours for the most part

Consincompetent management
    hostile work environment
    no chance for advancement
    no recognition for a job well done
    constantly changing displays, themes, sections
    no communication from management

Advice to Senior ManagementGive it up. Borders died years ago, even before Greg J. (former CEO) finished destroying it. Leave the rotting carcass like the vultures you are, and take your golden parachutes with you!

Don't follow health standards because they don't care about employees or customers.

Cafe Seller (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

ProsIt's hard to find a positive about this company and store, if you're a reader than employees are allowed to rent books from the store (yes, the same ones you as a customer end up buying "new".) Employees get a 33% off discount of books and media (the bad part of this is that Borders is usually so expensive that the discount usually just brings it near the range you'd buy it on Amazon, and if you're over the age of 16 then you're probably hoping for the best benefit of your job to be something other than a store discount.)

ConsShifts can last all day for a salary that's below minimum wage. Some employees have been romantically involved with each other in chaotic and unprofessional work enviorenment. Terrible HR department-employess have been sexually harassed by customers and sometimes by other employees. Customers can be extremely rude to employees. No opportunities to advance in the company and if there were then it's likely to another position that pays close to minimum wage. "Benefits" like medical and dental are as expensive as if you were to buy insurance on your own. Cafe doesn't have enough employees working at one time to follow health code at all and often do things like handle food with their bear hands, poorly wash dishes, hand customers regular coffee instead of decaf so they don't have to brew it.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to fix their HR department-Out of all the jobs I've worked at in my life, only at this company has sexual harassment been so tolerated. Customers are allowed to say nearly whatever they want to employees, and rarely does the HR department do anything about it. Customers have been known to practically stalk the girls that work in this store in and out of work and almost nothing is done about it. Also, too much in house flirting, dating, cliques, and MTV-esque drama for it to be called a professional work place.

Good

Cashier (Current Employee) Gurnee, IL (US)

ProsGood environment, fun atmosphere, books and discounts are nice

ConsCustomers, hours, computer systems/rewards system/coupons errors.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

Worked for Borders? Contribute to the Community!