Booz Allen Hamilton

3.4 2,040 reviews

Booz Allen Hamilton Chairman and CEO Ralph W. Shrader

Ralph W. Shrader

(1,250 ratings)

Pros
  • Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support(in 283 reviews)

• High opportunity ceiling; great benefits; worthwhile challenges; ability to influence work that matters(in 99 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of relatively large changes over the past two years have impacted benefits and work-life balance(in 103 reviews)

• lack of work opportunities for personal growth and promotion, too many staffing levels(in 44 reviews)

2,040 Employee Reviews

Just OK.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros--Good training ops.
    --Salary/Benefits/Social activities that are swanky.

Cons--Top-heavy whereby too many managers are doing admin and not the actual work of the "practice" (Booz-speak for the individual tech team or group of teams which serve one client or one sector such as the US Navy).
    --The company is overally "balkanized." It's harder than expected to move from one practice to another. It's almost like there are several small B-A&Hs instead of one company.

Advice to Senior Management--Lose some of the bureaucracy and operate with more agile teams.

Still a Good Place to Work

Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsExcellent Work/Life balance.
    Benefits are very good.
    Career advancement is clearly defined.
    Up to $5,000/year in training allowance.

ConsMay need to relocate to find a new project, that is the nature of contracting work.
    After 30-years they have done away with their 10% bonus plan. Now it is a 401k with matching up to 6%.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more attention to offices outside the DC area.

Great managers

Associate (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsGreat tuition assistance, front line management really heard my voice and pushed for me, whether it was on a project or I needed something internally from corporate. It was very mom-friendly/family friendly, and I enjoyed attending diversity organization events and company efforts for community causes. Management really wants you to be happy and champions your requests.

ConsA lot of unpaid overtime for company/personal-related administrative tasks that must be completed. As a billable employee you always have to make sure you hit your numbers. Can be pretty stressful, especially if you have administrative duties on a project which you cannot bill to the client.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate the "why" of initiatives to the workforce.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very rewarding

ProsNice place to work. Large corporate structure that does a lot of community work. Most of the client base is the government.

ConsWhen your contract the contract is up you are working on and it's not renewed with the client, you need to look for other opportunities. Sometimes they can be found, and sometimes they cannot.

Advice to Senior Managementthey are doing the best they can.

Where the going gets tough and the tough get promoted

Associate (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGreat teams, challenging assignments, great benefits, great salaries

ConsVery demanding clients, challenges of government/military clients

Excellent company with a comprehensive approach to mission support and execution.

Joint Forces Exercise Integrator (Former Employee) Norfolk, VA (US)

ProsBAH has a deep concern for their employees sense of welfare and an acute sense of mission as well. A highly promoted aspect of working with BAH was the ability to openly resource and research needed information from all professional on the staff when researching requirements for the company as well as the client. Training within BAH is a requirement that promotes professionalism for both the company and the employee, staying on track (i.e., security training, information sharing, consulting, self assessment, all came in handy when working with BAH.

ConsThe title of "consultant" vs "right-seat-ride (working with the client)" has the potential of putting the employee in an awkward position when working with the client on mission needs and also adhering to BAH guide lines to seek business development opportunities. The company has very high values and fully supports individual growth for both personal reasons and professional effectiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementAt this time the comments in the PRO's portion of this review will suffice.

Good work/life balance, can be competitive

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) McLean, VA (US)

ProsThe company offers a good work/life balance by offering flex time and core hours. Performance reviews are conducted once per year, and raises and promotions are merit-based.

ConsSince changing to "satellite" offices, some of the team atmosphere has been lost. Also, it can be competitive between colleagues. Additionally, because they are a large company, they can get stuck in a rut of "this is just how we do things."

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer overhead/admin hours for training, instead of making employees do their required training on their own time.

Good company for launching career

ProsBAH has a pretty decent reputation and is a great place to establish your career. Competitive salary. Work-life balance is generally pretty good but also depends on the client you support. Good bench if contracts terminate. During the government shutdown BAH continued to pay employees who were not able to work. This is virtually unheard of as many others in the same field were forced to take leave if they had it or were furloughed. I love that I am not micro managed and have quite a bit of autonomy. This depends greatly upon your job manager, career manager and client. Fortunately, I have been very lucky to have great ones. Mine are very flexible.

ConsThe culture since going public again is a challenge. Aside from company parties not being the same, more and more bureaucracy seems to be added. Things seem to change every year. There is too much reorganization. Just when I thought I was getting somewhere in the company they add another level in order to move upward.

It is impossible to advance within Booz without being a part of winning proposals and focusing on business roles. Expect to work late in the evenings and on weekends to do this. Also, these opportunities to be a part of proposal teams can be difficult to come by as those aspiring at levels above you take them. Sometimes pushing business roles comes at the expense of client support which is unfortunate.

Also, while health benefits are decent, the retirement benefits are not close to what they once were. They have transitioned to a match that vests over a lengthy period of time. Very disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementI wish career managers were more involved in helping create opportunities for upward mobility for those beneath them. I also wish that there were less focus on all the new development tasks and allow me to focus on my client support instead. I wonder how the company will change under a new CEO when Shrader retires in December.

The company is amazing with great benefits, but your client will determine your success.

Systems Analyst (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsBenefits, great co-workers, felixible hours.

ConsYou really don't work for Booz Allen, you work for a client.....the client is who determines your success.

Internship Program

Intern - Hourly (Former Employee) Alexandria, VA (US)

ProsAwesome benefits and salary as an intern and great resources. They always encourage you to learn, they have great networking strategies and events as well.

ConsSome employees did not have an interest in listening to the interns or considering their ideas or work.

Worked for Booz Allen Hamilton? Contribute to the Community!