Boots

Boots Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts

Simon Roberts

Pros:
  • "Staff discount on Boots own brand merchandise is quite good"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Good pay increase after working for a year"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Lack of opportunity to progress"
    in 3 reviews
  • "One of my managers didn't allow us to have bottles of water on the shop floor (apparently it was unprofessional)"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Top heavy, wasteful company.

I have been working at Boots full-time for more than a year

ProsQuick progression if you are willing to work hard.

ConsPharmacy team members can be very clicky and self absorbed. Very wasteful practices regarding show material. Bit slow to embrace change. Not enough staff in medium sized stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to move on from rows of white shelves. Stop replacing whole cardboard stands when a sticker could update the offers.

Christmas Customer Assistant

Christmas Sales Assistant (Former Employee)
Birmingham, England (UK)

I worked at Boots part-time for less than a year

ProsVery busy environment, ability to work on your own after training.

ConsToo much new staff around this season making it difficult to get direction or find someone in charge.

Decent part time job

Healthcare Advisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI was happy with the starting pay for a part time job and my pay increased twice whilst I was there to the current rate of £7.50. The people there are nice and it feels like a pretty relaxed work environment. I've been able to get extra shifts when I've wanted them.

ConsCustomers can be a bit of a pain sometimes and managers do tend to slack off and leave us on the shop floor to deal with things. It can be a bit monotonous on the shop floor, especially when there aren't many customers and you are stuck with pulling forward the stock for hours on end. I also initially had issues with my pay as I was underpaid for lots of the extra time I did, but it was all sorted out in the end.

Great co workers

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than a year

ProsI work with a very good team on the shop floor. Part time hours at the weekend. The uniform provided is good, and training is good. I am currently training as a Healthcare Assistant which I find interesting. Staff discount ok.

ConsNothing extra for weekend working, and I consider my rate of pay after 15 months pretty poor (£6.64). Will be interested to see what the next pay review brings.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess sarcasm would be good. Less 'hovering' when someone i string their best. More trust in a person's ability.

Not bad!

Customer Assistant (Current Employee)
Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time

ProsFast paced in bigger stores. Good discount. Good pay increase after working for a year. Make some great friends with coworkers! Fairly interesting job, opportunity to contribute to different areas of the store.

ConsSometimes overworked and understaffed, to the point of making staff ill. Till systems and stock check is outdated.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrike a balance between protecting profits and looking after staff, because customer service will suffer.

Good

I have been working at Boots part-time for less than a year

Prosperfect environment. everyone is very nice and working in a team

ConsNOne. A very Good company. I haven't seen any cons yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore product to sell

Sales Assistant

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Boots

ProsDays when duties were varied were interesting

ConsCould feel repetitive serving at the till point all day

Worst place I have ever worked at HQ.

Anonymous (Current Employee)
Nottingham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time for less than a year

ProsThey pay a decent salary
Coworkers great bull all dissatisfied
Cakes everywhere

ConsYour life will be sucked out of you
They expect if you are on more than someone else you will be worked into the ground for it
They take highly skilled people and make you do menial jobs
The people in charge think they are perfect and you are less than them
Really bad at people management, they will expect you to come in, work like a slave and regardless of what your title says you are a skivvy, you will be fired to be replaced by someone who will simply churn out more.
You will be lied to, your work will not be varied or fun, but mundane and repetitive.
Attitude there is purile.
You will be told people stay there for a long time, not true there is a very high turnover in D19 / Technical Centre, if you do not believe me simply check out the linkedin profile timelines of current and former employees.
Getting off site at head office can take you an hour or more simply to get out of the site due to poor traffic management.
Really slow in paying what they promise you, takes 3 months to get a relocation bursary.
Worked since I was 16, worst job I have ever had due to extremely poor management, ridiculous expectations and the attitude that management is perfect and the purile and arrogant attitude of the line managers.
You may work longer hours, harder and meet all your targets and time plans, time keeping impeccable etc. Never once told that your work is good or valued.
Everyone else around you is job hunting - what does that say about the place?
Progression is slow - they expect you to work 5 years before you are considered to be promoted
Bonuses are non-existent due to the poor management.
Employees are not valued whatsoever, the high salary does not warrant the poor working conditions.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement staff need to be taught how to manage and treat people. The hiring process needs to be updated to be more honest and that the right person is employed for the right job, if menial then you need a school leaver to fill the position rather than a highly skilled person.

It is better to have one good commercially viable idea than push out thousands for the sake of it.

Terrible

I have been working at Boots

ProsNothing. Its mind numbingly terrible and filthy

ConsEverything. Hours, work, people, its rubbish

Advice to Senior ManagementTry managing

Good company depending on line manager

Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Boots full-time for more than a year

ProsGood Staff Discount and Career Progression

ConsLine Managers with no empathy.
Career Progression can depend on who you know more than individual merit.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not overload your employees with work if they are screaming that they do not have enough time to get things done.

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Boots reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Boots CEO Simon Roberts. All 71 reviews are posted anonymously by Boots employees.