Boots Reviews

Updated 26 August, 2014

3.4

Boots Managing Director Simon Roberts
Simon Roberts

Pros
  • Staff discount was good and always felt appreciated as an employe (in 18 reviews)

• that never see you stuck, good discount compared to other retail stores (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • The long hours culture that is just expected (in 7 reviews)

• Training was computer based but trying to find time away from the shop floor to do this was difficult (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Top heavy, wasteful company.

I have been working at Boots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Quick progression if you are willing to work hard.

Cons

Pharmacy team members can be very clicky and self absorbed. Very wasteful practices regarding show material. Bit slow to embrace change. Not enough staff in medium sized stores.

Need to move on from rows of white shelves. Stop replacing whole cardboard stands when a sticker could update the offers.

Great atmosphere, positive vibe, questionable pay vs. expectations

Former Employee - Customer Assistant
    Former Employee - Customer Assistant

I worked at Boots part-time for less than a year

Pros

If you enjoy helping people then the vibe is great, customers are usually on board, people attracted to the position (colleagues) are typically good people. Lots of tasks and variety in jobs undertaken. Decent enough progression prospects.

Cons

As with all retail the slightly above minimum wage sometimes isn't enough for the extra duties, extra hours or the customers you have to deal with.

Better compensation packages for the customer assistants and lower-on-the-rung staff members.

It was really pride to work for one of those standard companies

Former Employee - Team Manager III  in  Wrexham, Wales (UK)
    Former Employee - Team Manager III in Wrexham, Wales (UK)

I worked at Boots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It has rich corporate values equipped with great standards of workplace. The environment was so friendly to work with and definitely / highly recommended place to work.

Cons

I am sorry, I could not find any cons during my work with Boots.

Remunerations needs to be considered and should be on par with the standard of the company.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser  in  Bournemouth, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pharmacy Dispenser in Bournemouth, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very supportive company, I started as a customer assistant and within two years I have trained up to a healthcare advisor and now a dispenser and will go on to pharmacy technician and further.

Cons

The only things I can think are that because the company is so big it feels like you are just a figure not a person and the pay isn't great, other pharmacies pay much better for the same job. Also, the bonus wasn't good this year.

See everyone as a person rather than someone who will help the company reach targets.

Customer assistant

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than a year

Pros

e-learning is good; free staff uniform; staff discount

Cons

uniform can be too hot in a store without air-conditioning especially if you're putting out new stock. Lots of emphasis by management on 'feel good moments' submitted by customers. Problem is the surveys are randomly issued, unlike on the Pharmacy where they are given to virtually every customer, and how likely is a customer who gets one if they've only bought a sandwich to complete it? It adds pressure when you're working on the till to explain to busy customers about the benefits of completing a survey. With the launch of the Boots app perhaps randomly generated surveys could be delivered to customers here rather than at the tills? and our time would be better spent telling customers about the app?! Also recently lots of customers came into store to use their vouchers before they ran out: unfortunately the store ran out of lots of items and customers were left disappointed that they were unable to use their vouchers. Hmmm wonder how many 'feel good moments' this produced.....

Customer Assistant

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Durham, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Durham, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with a brilliant staff team in the Arnison Centre retail park store in Durham, Serving new customers all through the day and making customers happy, Enjoy working there, I am aged 17 and male and my pay rate per hour for my age is very good, Lots of overtime is given to staff during busy periods such as summer and christmas, Brilliant atmosphere to work in. Overall i am overly satisfied with my part time job as a customer assistant at boots at the present moment in time.

Cons

Personal growth and developing my future potential is currently unknown due to being only 17 years old. I would take any opportunity given to me to develop into a promotion. It can be challenging dealing with customers who are not happy no matter how much effort you try to put into it, but never the less it is very few customers who are like that. Budgets can be very hard to control and can be cut short.

One point i would like to improve within Boots is the Advantage card system. (Loyalty card). I believe that the physical form of putting the advantage card through the machine at the moment is not good enough due to it being chip faced upwards on the card and with there being two separate types of ad cards, The majority of customers will always assume that the card goes logo faced upwards whereas it is actually the card faced backwards with the magnetic chip facing upwards towards the till. It can be tiring to have to inform every customer the same information.

I like my career, but not my job. Overly stressful and demanding with not much reward or appreciation

Current Employee - Pharmacist  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Pharmacist in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Secure job with lots of potential for progression. Excellent training and a great network within the company

Cons

Appreciation of employees and people skills. More explanation and designation of roles within each job, rather than expecting everyone to assume a role without proper guidance

Look after the people and they will look after your business

Worked as Temp for 6 months, was glad to leave... Very Cliquey, Overstaffed and Terrible Working Environment

I worked at Boots as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The positives about working here is that it was flexible (more due to frequent overstaffing), always gave the opportunity to put in extra hours to earn extra money. The clientele for the store i worked in were very nice and generally polite, never had any problems with engaging with customers and there were little problems with rude people. Some of the team I worked with were very nice

Cons

Working as a Temp automatically meant you were treated badly at the store I worked at - you were automatically given the worst jobs for the whole day and were criticised by the management heavily. For example, I once stopped to talk to a co-worker for a minute or so due to the shop being dead for most of the day and I had tidied the shelves several times (permanent employees would do this for more than 20 mins even when busy) and got threatened with the sack by my manager. Also, management will make you ask the same customers several times whether they need help... which clearly irritates the customer.
    If you want to work in a busy environment, don't work at Boots (The London/Shopping Centre jobs are probably different). Except for the 5 days before Christmas, it's completely dead and you're expected to 'look busy' for the most part of your shift - a task that gets tedious after the first week. I spent most of my employment there pacing up and down and tidying shelves.

My particular line manager was clearly only given the job because she devoted her life to Boots, not because she was actually competent or qualified to be a manger - all failures by her were blamed on lower down staff. Permanent staff were very cliquey, some were very unfriendly and when I was 'buddied up' with someone to train me she acted very condescending towards me.

Make training more worthwhile, treat temporary employees with more respect, serious issues with either understaffing/understaffing (can never seen to get the right balance) and some stores waste resources doing the 'advantage card' events, in the store I worked at it would have probably be more cost-effective not to open.
    Employ management who are actually academically qualified to run a business.

interesting, and exhilarating

Current Employee - Customer Assistant  in  Fowey, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Fowey, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots part-time for less than a year

Pros

really friendly staff, and a lovely company to work for

Cons

dealing with arrogant and rude customers

keep with how your going, team management is great!!

Friendly place to work

Current Employee - Sales Assistant  in  Bracknell, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Sales Assistant in Bracknell, England (UK)

I have been working at Boots full-time for more than a year

Pros

I like the people I work with. Although I work in operations I am also working on my healthcare training so there is always room to improve. Every day is different, you never know what you are going to face and that makes it more interesting and fun

Cons

Working in a shop in a shopping centre we have no fresh air coming into the shop. The air conditioning is not great and air temperatures can run as high as 30C in the summer. Not good when you are putting out delivery.

Listen to the shop floor staff on matters more. We all have valid opinions and often feel they are not appreciated or even heard in the majority of cases

Worked for Boots? Contribute to the Community!