Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas

www.bcbstx.com
Employer Engaged

Best company`

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas

Pros

they realy do care about their employees

Cons

The hours are long. Too much over time

Blue Cross Blue Shield was a great company to work at.

Current Contractor - Credentialing Representative in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Contractor - Credentialing Representative in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

The location was close to my home.

Cons

Working directly with the doctors and their staff.

I think the company should increase the salary for their employees.

Great company for laid back work load and opportunity to learn and grow.

Current Employee - Applications Developer Analyst in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Applications Developer Analyst in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good management support. Relaxed work environment. Very professional and diverse employees with amazing training and learning opportunities and resources. Good benefits for higher education pursuing employees as they provide education assistance and excellent reference online materials.

Cons

Very slow promotion and low pay rate. Its better to get experience somewhere else, then apply and bargain for a good starting salary rather than waiting for raise and annual salary increase. So apparently new fresh graduates getting in will end up working in extreme low salary than comparable market companies possibly causing tendency to find jobs elsewhere.

Pay for IT professionals better or at least competitive as compared to other companies in market. Presumably targeting a low pay rate doesn't ultimately morally boost the employees to stay within the company for a long time.

Expected more from Blue Cross (TX)

Former Employee - Claims Examiner III in Richardson, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Claims Examiner III in Richardson, TX (US)

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are friendly and easy to work with.

Cons

Excessive micromanagement. Changes their protocol every week for three weeks in a row while counting your production is unfair. I asked for more training several times. Then asked from peers that helped me. I had a serious health issue and was hospitalized a week and after a week back at work was told they may or may not hold my position for me. Altho, they claimed the time off into my production.
    Then, after two months they let me go. Production was good my quality was at 2 errors, 1 same day same error and was to have coaching on it. Their training is the worst I have ever seen. I asked a trainer a question and was told we have already covered that. And she moved on. Very poor place to work. all grey walls, No talking even signs up no talking, no whispering...Sad I have seen happier funerals.

Spend more time training and less time micromanaging. Why have a supervisor with out claim experience? Makes no sense at all.

Six year employee during a period of tumultuous change.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX (US)

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers are generally very nice people. Very diverse work force. Work hours are often flexible. Benefits are generally competitive.

Cons

Hours can often be very long, depending on the department. Work load can be heavy. Change is constant and often at very upsetting levels resulting in frequent organization realignments. Some of the drastic change is brought about by government and regulatory burden, but some of it is unnecessarily self inflicted.

Make only the minimum necessary changes to departments, structures, processes and bosses due to unavoidable market force changes.Too often, the first strategy employed by management is: let's reorganize! This approach and the resulting chaos is highly stressful to employees and often, it just isn't necessary.

Mediocre Place to Work in Texas

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fairly good work life balance
    Nice work space

Cons

Old-school mentality regarding promotions
    Skewed view of what diversity means

Wellness coach

Current Employee - Wellness Coach in Richardson, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Wellness Coach in Richardson, TX (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Coworkers great people, high pay and benefits

Cons

Terrible program, terrible job since most of time spent trying to enroll people not coaching, way behind the competition in quality of program, managers and director have little knowledge or understanding of how to run wellness programs, almost everyone working more hours than paid

ITG-Not Impressive

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas as a contractor

Pros

Long term opportunities for part time employees

Cons

Not a good work environment.

Strict but fair

Former Employee - Customer Advocate
    Former Employee - Customer Advocate

I worked at Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Decent pay and lots of opportunities for overtime. Very good at training you and preparing you as much as possible.

Cons

Upper management makes a lot of changes for the "good of the company" without much regard to the employees.

a Company that cares about their employees

Current Employee - Quality Supervisor in Abilene, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Supervisor in Abilene, TX (US)

Pros

This company will develop and set a person up for retirement - Additionally, the professional environment is a huge plus.

Cons

The only cons of this company - sometimes you may only promote to a limit and not be able to promote any higher depending on the area of expertise.

This is a great company to work for to develop your management skills.