Blue Cross (TX)

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Darren Rodgers

a Company that cares about their employees

Quality Supervisor (Current Employee) Abilene, TX (US)

ProsThis company will develop and set a person up for retirement - Additionally, the professional environment is a huge plus.

ConsThe only cons of this company - sometimes you may only promote to a limit and not be able to promote any higher depending on the area of expertise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis is a great company to work for to develop your management skills.

Mixed experiences at BCBSTX

Cliams Examiner III, Abilene TX (Former Employee) Abilene, TX (US)

ProsBCBS is extremely employee-friendly with regard to benefits and training. They seem to be most successful at cultivating talent on the lower-management level.

ConsThe management style of BCBS in Abilene, Texas, was a mix of micro-managing, destructive divisiveness, and selective privilege. While most of my supervisors and senior supervisors were great, upper management encouraged a very visible split between "us" and "them," using information or withholding information to make the separation clear. Often upper management was condescending, elite, and dishonest. Instead of utilizing the talent on the floor, they ignored their employees' ideas, concerns, and constructive criticism. The work environment fluctuated between demoralized apathy to sheer frustration, largely due to the breakdown in respect and communication on the level of mid- to upper-management.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employers, actually listen, and realize they have a better understanding of their jobs, including problems and ways to improve, than you do. Give them credit for intelligence and a desire to excel; stop assuming that only management is worth your time and attention.

developer

Developer (Current Employee) Dallas, TX (US)

Prosnothing much about the pros...good benefits

ConsNo knowledge improvement and most of the time without work...

Advice to Senior Managementtechnology competence is very out dated

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Actuarial Analyst

Actuarial Analyst (Current Employee) Richardson, TX (US)

ProsRotation Program
    Decent Work Life Balance
    Solid Study Program
    Interesting Projects
    Growth

ConsWould be nice if they offered salary increases with exams instead of just bonuses. BCBSTX's study program is still very competitive though.

Stressful and all about numbers

Customer Srevice Representative IIA (Current Employee)

ProsDecent 401k and pension. Co workers friendly

ConsMicro Managed ..open door policy is a joke. Workers stretched.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your people. We know exactly how to make the providers satisfied as well as what will make us happy. If we are happy BC will be happy....and finally be #1. You have yo work on the inside before stepping out to the massed.

Great benefits!

Applications Specialist (Former Employee) Richardson, TX (US)

ProsLots of new development. Some knowledgable people

ConsTesting process is complicated. Release process is very time consuming

Not worth the higher-end pay for local entry-level jobs in the area; redefined micromanagement!

Claims Processor (Former Employee) Abilene, TX (US)

ProsBenefits package and pay scale

ConsMangement and Corporate's heavy hand in even the minutia of your workday.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow outstanding performers, to perform. Increasing production is not achieved by calling meetings - you must let people produce.

One of the best jobs for Abilene

Quality Auditor (Current Employee) Abilene, TX (US)

ProsGreat flexiblity with your work schedule, and good performance can lead to the oppurtunity to work from home. The benefits are excellent, medical, dental, vision, 401(k), pension, 18+ days of paid time off plus holidays, and tutiton assistance of up to $5400 a year. The company puts a lot of money into training so they give you as many resources as they can to help you suceed. I haven't heard of any non-salaried employees being laid off.

ConsI'm not going to lie, the work is boring and very tedious, but you are well compensated for it. Salary and management positions do not come open often in the Abilene location, so the competetion is high for a promotion in that area. If you put in the time and effort you can easily move into some higher paying hourly positions though. Also, there is a lot of promotion oppurtunity if you are willing to move to another location. There can be quite a bit of required overtime in peak months.

Overall good experience.

(Current Employee)

ProsVery financially stable, non-investor owned, family-oriented, a leader in health care insurance innovations, generous benefits. The pay depends on the area.

ConsOne is the massive bureaucracy which really gets in the way of the speed of business. The other is it is painfully obvious that people who work in the Chicago HQ receive preferential treatment regarding promotions. Can be hard on morale in the 3 other Blues. Nobody dares to bring it up out of fear of sounding "negative."

BCBS of TX Job experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Benefits and pension plan, competetive salary, good team atmosphere.
    Employee bonuses given yearly.

ConsWork is very redundant, excessive time spent on phone with customers, environment is in production mode which is somewhat restrictive.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers are ok, some probably required more training, as sometimes staff had to problem solve among themselves. Managers also appeared to be overworked and overwhelmed most of the time.

Worked for Blue Cross (TX)? Contribute to the Community!