Blue Cross (MI) Reviews

Updated 22 August, 2014

3.3

Blue Cross (MI) President and CEO Daniel J. Loepp
Daniel J. Loepp

Pros
  • Large company with great benefits and salaries (in 14 reviews)

• Competitive pay, good benefits after being hired in as a full time employee (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • No opportunities for advancement unless you get buddy-buddy with management and discuss your personal life with leadership (in 3 reviews)

• Upper management gives the impression they are too good for lower level employees (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience, but stressful and frustrating. Better leadership is needed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Southfield, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI) full-time

Pros

The benefit package is great, and there is always something to do (never bored). There is a lot to learn and plenty of projects to work on to build your skills. The facilities are nice as well, with security, a fitness area, and a cafeteria. Employees work hard to get their jobs done and do the best they can do with the resources they are provided. Most people seem to have a real desire to do their jobs well.

Cons

Management is everything at every company. Just like at any company, if the leadership is bad, the experience will be bad. There is a lot of additional work and hours being asked of employees due to NHCR, and only BU employees are paid over-time... the salaried workers are forced to put in extra hours with no additional compensation or even appreciation. Management also doesn't communicate well with employees, everything is a secret, and they are often too busy to pay attention to anything going wrong until the problem grows to the point where they can no longer ignore it... then they wonder why it got so out of control. There is also poor treatment from certain C-level people (i.e. yelling and berating employees in front of others without taking the time to understand what is going on). It's not like that throughout the entire company though, so it really depends on who you work for and what department you are in. It can also change unexpectedly since there has been so much change in management. You could have a great department and great management team one day, then a horrible team the next if they bring in the wrong people. HR seems to be a bit political as well, being selective of certain people in certain positions and not offering equal opportunities for advancement. Finally, technology and processes are extremely behind the times. Everyone is so busy trying to keep up with the work by using outdated technology that no one has time to improve anything.

C-level down needs to respect and appreciate all of their employees at every level for the work that they do, and recognize when employees are giving up personal time so that they can meet their goals. Yelling and berating employees is completely unacceptable, whether its in private or in front of others. No one should fear coming to work or having to interact with their management team. Management also needs to be more open with communication, allowing employees to be involved in how the company operates, giving them the sense that they are really contributing and not just along for the ride. Project management is needed, without a doubt. With all of the different projects going on, and everyone in the company affected by these projects, each project needs to have a point person that makes sure that all of the objectives are carried out. Too often, things are missed and never completed, so when the project goes live, there are multiple problems that keep it from being successfully implemented. Getting feedback from affected departments and employees on projects is also important. If you don't understand how new processes will affect all parts of your organization, how can you properly implement them? It just causes undue frustration with employees and creates more work when they have to fix things that go wrong because the projects were not properly planned.

Handled member and provider appeals. Great workload, but even greater management to assist.

Former Employee - Grievance and Appeals Coordinator  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Grievance and Appeals Coordinator in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Blue Cross (MI) as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Corporate culture is incredible. No cons.

Cons

Not much interdepartmental personal communication. But training opportunities really facilitate the meeting of members from other departments.

Keep doing what you are doing. Blue Cross employees are generally very satisfied.

Great company, great atmosphere

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Blue Cross (MI) full-time for less than a year

Pros

Focused on employee development and serving customers. Work within the community was a great focus as well.

Cons

None that I can think of

Keep up the good work and keep focusing on developing associates.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Compliance Analyst

Former Employee - Compliance Analyst  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Compliance Analyst in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Blue Cross (MI) as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

This is great place to put some good experience under your belt and learn the business. Downtown is a decent place to work and taxes aren't bad.

Cons

I don't know where to begin. The culture is toxic. I actually made some really good friends, learned a lot and really built up my resume. But it cost me - mind body and spirit! If you have another option - take the other. You have been warned.

Hire people who understand strategy, not just "round peg into round hole" mentality.

A Great Place to Grow

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI) full-time for more than a year

Pros

Vacation/PTO is good, benefits are great especially if you complete the Health Assessment items, work-schedule for the most part is flexible as long as you get 40 hrs in the week, many departments allow their workers to work-from-home when necessary and also semi-regularly, average employment length is 12 years so you shouldn't have to stress about losing your job, many company-sponsored perks are available for businesses throughout Michigan, salary ranges are very large so you could be a lower level employee with a very high salary, & comped gym membership.

Cons

Contractors typically get the more interesting projects, as it is a very large company change can be difficult, documentation of processes can get so difficult because of politics whole departments have been created simply for this function, & managers are typically hired from outside the company so the best chance lower-level employees have is to leave for a couple years and then come back to apply for managerial positions.

Lower-level employees can always tell when managers are keeping all the projects and news close to their chest. Delegation and communication are very important for employees to feel as though they are connected to their jobs and they are growing.

Facilitates growth and creativity but do not respect contractors.

I worked at Blue Cross (MI)

Pros

The environment at BCBSM facilitates creativity, team work and growth. I really liked working there and on different projects. I was given space to work and put in processes that made a difference.

Cons

I was a contractor and they give contractor's less respect. I was a project manager/delivery lead and I brought projects in on-time with no quality issues as well as under budget and I yet I was put down in front of team members by my manager. He even made comments about my looks and called me darling one time.

Why do you have managers in place who made derogatory comments to employees and abuse power. Apart from the manager, all team member and other teams I worked for were great to work for and with.

No growth here for hard work

Current Employee - Project Manager  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI) full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Security & stability, mediocre growth

Cons

red tape , politics , discrimination , tough to grow in the org, growth depends on who you know & whether your immediate manager knows you well on personal level

Please update your employee performance review process

Satisfactory for an intern

Current Employee - Diversity and Inclusion  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Diversity and Inclusion in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI) as an intern for more than a year

Pros

Very easy and relaxed hours. Slow paced.

Cons

Lots of office politics. Diversity is not valued as much as other companies

Great

I have been working at Blue Cross (MI)

Pros

Everything...salary, benefits, career advancement, location..I love it

Cons

I can't find anything negative to say

Old Fashioned, but First Class Benefits

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Detroit, MI (US)

I worked at Blue Cross (MI) full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BCBSM still offers pensions and, as you would expect, full benefits to its employees. They also have cash incentives for completing health and wellness activities. There are some wonderful people working here. Lots of diversity, depending on the department. We had potlucks and parties for holidays. Despite the fact that I don't approve of CEO Dan Loepp's political agenda and strategy in terms of BCBSM's relationship with the city of Detroit, he is great at communicating with employees. You always feel in the know on the latest company news and impacts of healthcare reform on BCBSM.

Cons

I worked in an IT area, and it constantly seemed like we were just fighting the next fire. The review process is kind of a joke. Managers don't have or make time to develop their people, even if they'd like to. They're too busy doing damage control. My department burned out even the brightest people before within a few years. In an environment like this, the lazy/ mediocre people really thrive, because management has its "go-to" people who do the lions' share of work. The lazy people can float along doing the bare minimum, and counting the years 'til they retire and get that pension.

There is a preference for staff augmentation in IT, and many of the consultants are young Indians looking for a start. I think that's great, but they are often contracted through companies like Strategic Staffing Solutions. I worked for S3 for awhile, and all they do for you is write a check and take a huge chunk of your bill rate. Dan Loepp calls this "development" and "putting Detroit to work." It's not. Because of S3's deal with BCBSM, their screening process is non-existent (there is no incentive to staff well, since BCBSM has to give preference to S3 employees). This means that if you're a legit employee, you're surrounded by a lot of incompetent people. If you're a hiring manager, your hands are tied and a lot of time is wasted interviewing and hiring and firing unqualified people.

If you're going to work here, get an internal position or come in as a consultant with a very reputable company.

Stop promoting your best "doers" to management. Let the managers manage--- they can't develop people if they are carrying the workload of 5 employees.

Worked for Blue Cross (MI)? Contribute to the Community!