Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Updated 15 December, 2014
Updated 15 December, 2014
2.7

Rich Johnson

Pros
  • Good benefits,401k, work from home, customer service and call center excellent (in 8 reviews)

• Customer service is fantastic, even with all the added responsibilities they have (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Micro management to the nth degree so if you are considering this company do not believe them when they tell you they do not micro-manage (in 11 reviews)

• The upper management is closed minded and does not want to hear what the salesforce has to say (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

Real change needed...in leadership and technology.

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register

Pros

Flexible schedule, active and used network (despite the flaws) which keep things going, a good immediate manager, excellent 401K, and end of year break. New salaries are a plus and generally still good pay for what we do - good incentives.

Still help our customers be seen in the industry, get work, and be successful. The core premise of the company works in spite of the rest!

Cons

Leadership - hands down they are poor managers, poor leaders, don't know how to motivate people and are focused on the wrong things. Recently - there was the worst CEO led conference call I've ever sat on, and I have worked at both large and small companies and this was pathetic. We need to be a team, focused on working together on improving the company. Just blaming the sales team for every loss is not true leadership. How about doing root cause analysis on why customers are leaving the network and getting the real feedback. How about listening to the sales team and what we've been saying for years?! Where is the vision? where is the 5-10 year plant? The CEO should not be focused on a proview picture for success. And for the record, I am not a disgruntled underachiever - I actually exceeded quota etc.

With better leadership and attitudes, we'd be working together as a team. That end of year call: pointed fingers, blamed all on sales, deflected responsibility, threatened the entire sales force, was DE-MOTIVATING, and presented arbitrary numbers the sales team had not heard at the beginning of 2014 when expectations were set. That is NOT a way to move on to success or launch a successful 2015. We all realize it was a rough year overall compared to 2013.

The leadership also seems to want to ignore R&I - just focus on new. All the new people right out of training have sold new business. They are being hailed as heroes - but what about the millions of $ in R&I that actually support the company. They are the true backbone and keeping them happy is more difficult each year as products have failed us. Yes we agree that new sales are always needed and critical but so are the millions of existing customers. If we retained more - and helped them be more successful we'd have grown in 2014. Let's focus on that for more than a glossed-over, passed-over moment.

Products need innovation and improvement.

The leaders (CEO, National Sales Manager, etc.) really need to take some management training. Being passionate about the company and business are great qualities, but you also need to know how to manage and motivate your people. You also need to learn to surround yourself with the right people to be successful. We hear there are a lot of consultants helping the business. But either they are too afraid to tell you the truth or you are not listening to them. Get better consultants to help the leadership be better.

If you want sales to be more successful try:
    1. Motivate us with positive attitudes not blame and threats. Management by fear went out with the 80s. You really need to improve morale and threatening letters and micro-management are not the way to do it.
    2. Please make the products work. The technology is antiquated and hopefully the new purchased and changes will help solve this. Recognize that has a huge impact on customers and our success.
    3. Get a real accounting department. Most companies have accounts receivables and a team to work that. Asking the sales team to spend time chasing collections and credit card expiration dates is insane. In our market the collections problem has grown year over year and takes up more time than ever before. This directly impacts sales.
    4. Micro-management is out-of-control and that is not the way to improve results or morale.
    5. Keep the $$ incentives real. the 2014 comp plan was not achievable for most people so fixing that would be great.

I still think the company can be successful - not just by the 'numbers' but also to be a great place to work, feel like a team working to the same goals. After the recent end of year call - it came across as sales against the rest of the company, we are the let-down. The entire company needs to band together and move in the same direction together for true growth and success. I'd like to see the leadership bring that to the company instead of the miserable, fearful, threatening environment they have now created. That might work for new sales people but your really good successful seasoned sales professionals won't stick around long in that environment.

The Definition of Dead End Job

Current Employee - Headquarters in Jefferson Valley, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Headquarters in Jefferson Valley, NY (US)

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Snow Days
    -1/2 Day Summer Fridays
    -Health Insurance is good

Cons

-There is absolutely no room for growth with this company unless you want to sell or listen to people yell at you on the phone all day about how terrible our products are.
    -Too many products that are not properly supported/broken/confusing.
    -Awful communication. One hand does not know what the other is doing in this company.
    -A variety of executives who are never on site and seem to do nothing. Have no idea why they're even on the payroll.
    -Complaints about management that go nowhere. It doesn't matter how many people complain or how well documented the problem is, they look the other way. Employees are talked down to, or harassed until they quit and nothing is done.
    -Treated like idiots and children who are not entitled to their own ideas or opinions.
    -Forced to work overtime without compensation.
    -Absolutely no work/life balance or flexibility.
    -Company is overrun with nepotism and management plays favorites to a level that has caused it to become a company wide joke.
    -The company has been "restructured" a number of times in the past several years with no real results.
    -It doesn't matter how hard you work, you will not be compensated for it. Base salary is a joke and raises are pathetic.
    -Systems are outdated and behind the times.

Realize that most of your employees are miserable and are searching for other jobs. Try to actually appreciate the talent you have and try to hold onto them. Reward the people who work hard, not just the people who have a certain last name. Put some pride in your products and focus on making them better instead of creating more. Focus on actually getting customers to pay rather than counting the money you're supposedly going to get as "growth".

This is not the place to work

Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are no pros to work at the The Blue Book . It use to be a great place to work

Cons

YOU CAN SUM IT UP ON ONE WORD MICRO MANAGEMENT AT ITS FINEST. UPPER MANAGEMENT HAS NO CLUE WHAT IS GOING ON IN THE CONSTRUCTION INDUSTRY. THEY NEED TO SELL AT ONCE

SELL THE COMPANY THE CEO HAS NO CLUE

What Once Was......May Be Gone.......

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Customer service is fantastic, even with all the added responsibilities they have.
    * Flexibility to work from home is a plus, though that does equate to working way more than a 9 hour day when your every move must be accounted for and documented.
    * Immediate manager has brought solid ideas to the table and is always available to assist.
    * Co-Workers that provide encouragement. Not looking to compete with each other but help one another. Protected sales territory

Cons

* Upper management not taking ownership that many of the companies issues are their doing. Examples are: an inferior lead generating system, multiple IT issues, no fear of consequences for them (they just move to another high level position.....must be nice)
    * A reputation that is being tainted in the industry makes the job more challenging. There is a cocky attitude of superiority that is no longer warranted.
    * For a company that is preaching change......we are still waiting.
    * Too many high level managers and consultants with large salaries and no substance (though Cody who created one of our new products, and Doug who is a manufacturers consultant and business economist, are a breath of fresh air and are the only higher management people that spends time interacting with our customers).
     * There is a simple lack of respect for our current account base, the customers that pay our salaries with their advertising dollars are nickeled and dimed to death. Where is their input, why don't we ask for it?
    * Lack of vacation time, when I was hired 10+ years ago, we had more. What company decreases your time off the longer you are with them?

Please look to yourselves and be honest. You have turned over more than 50% of your sales force in the past 5 years (remember, this is a 102 year old company) This isn't something to be proud of.
    * It's time to get input from our customers, even they ones that have cancelled...especially them.
    * Consider more vacation time, a sound mental state and balance in our lives would go a long way.

Is Change Coming...Too Late

Current Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Current Employee - Business Development Consultant

Pros

Good benefits,401k, work from home, customer service and call center excellent. Company is trying to initiate changes.

Cons

Bad decisions over product development and product launching have caused this 100 year old company to lose its foothold in the marketplace. Products are developed and launched without any field input or interest from customers, the end result has been a poor experience on the end user side, resulting in less logging in to the system! The arrogance of some of the leadership at the top levels is so great that as little as two years ago they would boastfully say we have no real competition in the marketplace. Guess what, it is competition if they are competing for and winning the limited $ of customers. Lots of issues to overcome most are stemming from the IT side and the ability to provide the complete and needed information in an easy to use format for our customers.
    Growth is extremely important and those at the top can not understand why it is so difficult. Consultants are hired and paid to determine this. Try talking to the thousands of customers who have left, they will give you an idea or better yet listening to what your reps in the field have been saying for the last eight years or so.
    No accountability at the top for the current problems. In a recent national sales call the overwhelming clear message was sell more or else. "this is what you signed up for." I actually thought I signed up for a top notch company and product that would help those in construction reach their goals, PLEASE DELIVER.

Take accountability for your actions. The same leadership team has been in place for a long time with a lot of poor decisions and unwillingness to initiate true change. I have not heard a fresh idea yet. Now trying to catch up to the competition which should have been happening years ago. I think change needs to happen at the top levels of this organization.

Solid Training & Sales Opportunity -- Although I believe that "print" advertising is a dying industry.

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Jefferson Valley, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Jefferson Valley, NY (US)

Pros

The company has great training and the people that work there really are great. Corporate is in upstate New York and the people are all very friendly and great. There is potential to make a lot of money and they also have some pretty cool perks when you hit presidents club.
    They are moving their business model to include a bunch of great internet/computer products.

Cons

They place a lot of emphasis on Print Advertising which I believe is a dying industry. However, they are ramping up their internet and computer based offerings and if they can get those flying -- there will be a huge opportunity for growth.
    The only way to promote above a Regional Manager position is to move to the corporate HQ.

Give more paid vacation -- its hard to plan all of my vacation around the holiday shut down.

Great Product - Company lacks professionalism and integrity

Former Employee - Business Development Consultant
    Former Employee - Business Development Consultant

I worked at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Promote themselves well with a great product line industry specific to construction and are growing the product line to meet industry needs.

Cons

Where do I start? Training managers drank excessively and were so hung over in the morning they were ill. Every pay check was a struggle to get paid correctly. No market research done in region to support sales teams. Micro management to the nth degree so if you are considering this company do not believe them when they tell you they do not micro-manage.

Stop talking out of both sides of your mouth. i.e. "you're working too hard - you need some time with your family - but don't do that during working hours - save that for after hours in your downtime." Really listen to your sales team - don't just pay them lip service.

Not even a glimmer of hope

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager

I have been working at Blue Book Network Contractors Register full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Constant support from some of the BEST in customer service!
    We still have some amazing people left in this company, but they are dwindling
    Ability to work from a home office
    benefits

Cons

LEADERSHIP...specifically in NEW YORK. If we are going to restructure, we should not simply move one high level management position to another. We need IMMEDIATE change in these poitions. These are the same people that have made the same bad decisions. In any other company...they would be gone! We need to clean house and get educated management with real leadership skills that innovate and inspire change. We have way too many managers collecting too many big hefty salaries that are NOT EARNED!

Management is always blaming sales for loss of revenue and never enough growth. They never own their own mistakes. We have been asking for more leads, awarded information, and planning information for MANY years, well aware the competiion was closing in on us fast...now that the competition is ALL OVER US...they finally start the process...is it too late

This is an ESOP on paper only. In reality it is one person who makes the final decision and maybe a couple others. Sales has never had the chance to have any real input on decisions made. If we did, we would not be in this current sinking ship position.

The market has changed and we need to leave our BIG ego behind. Our products on the IT side have worked half of the time online. Many sales presentations this year turned into the dance of disaster with unexpected problems occuring while either trying to sell a new prospect or trying to renew a customer. By the way, our company email was down just today. Do you get the picture? THIS IS THE REAL!

Lack of disclosure to employee owners of revenue spent on sales projects and fees to conultants. Purchase price for Jobsite 123 and also management stock options. Poor communication.

You never needed to hire conultants for hundreds of thousands of dollars. The answer is with the custmer that cancelled. Why did all of them cancel? Some have been with us over 20 years! Did you ask? Most of your effort should have been focused on this group. You don't need consultants to figure this out.

Maybe you should read about the top 10 turnaround CEO's like I did. Their are 10 inspirational leaders that turned around their companies. In case you think you have it all figured out, here are a few facts.

The computer CEO reduced the 350 projects the company had in development to 50 and then to as little as 10. He mainly focused on the next big thing...I think we know what they are...one is used in the field. The stock rose more than 9000 percent. Buy the book.

Cell phone CEO...In 2008 this phone carrier lost 5.1million subscribers. He created a new rate plan and recognized they were last in customer satisfaction surveys.

Soup CEO 2001-2011 Recognized sales were falling due to management raising prices. He believed success was employee engagement. He replaced 300 of the 350 top level management staff to assist with his 10 year goal plan.

What is our 1,5, and 10 year plan? We will not be here if we don't have a plan and find the BEST PEOPLE in management to make the decisions. You have not given us any reason to trust and believe that you are capable of making the right decisions. We are running out of time. It's not about friendships at the top any longer. It's who can do the job the best! The past owner deserves more! Do him a favor and resign.

We need superior products again. We fail in this department except for print. Why can't we have the best BB BID and focus on the job leads and of course our book and online exposure. The rest is not gaining us any ground.

Stop the dishonesty on this site. DO NOT have management do these bogus posts that mislead the reader into believing this company is not having these huge problems. If we had no problems you would not have the overpaid consultants on our payroll. Stop this nonsense!

The bonus/pay structure that was in place this year saved the company tons of money at the expense of the sales team. Do not complain about not getting your bonus when the sales team has taken a drastic pay cut. Sleep well...

BDC

Current Employee - BDC in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - BDC in Boston, MA (US)

Pros

Working from Home. Setting own Calander

Cons

Working 65 to 70 hrs a week. Not enough money for what we are asked to do for it.

Have less High paid Managers. Way too many managers

Nothing like disgruntled EX employees....

Current Employee - BDC
    Current Employee - BDC

Pros

Unparalleled Customer Service. Unparalleled back office support. Aggressive with technology. Super aggressive industry leader. The Blue Book Network is envied and unafraid to introduce new products. They don't always work, but they never totally fail. Truly the industry leader keeping up with our technical world.

Cons

Micromanaging when not necessary from the Area Manager level. Why have a Regional Manager that knows us guys (full of sarcasm if unsure)? If I were the RM I'd be PO'ed.

Listen to the middle performers as well as the upper performing superstars. You're missing the majority of your Reps' value.

Blue Book Network Contractors Register Photos