Bloomingdale's

Updated 11 September, 2014
2.8

Bloomingdale's CEO Tony Spring
Tony Spring

Pros
  • Employee Discount if you can afford to buy anything on your meager poverty-level salary (in 62 reviews)

• Great discount and Bloomingdale's looks great on your resume (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • Huge disconnect between salaried management and commissioned sales associates (in 40 reviews)

• Reviews are primarily based on credit card applications taken and not on actual service (in 29 reviews)

More Highlights

great discount

Current Employee - Sales Professional  in  Costa Mesa, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Professional in Costa Mesa, CA (US)

I have been working at Bloomingdale's part-time for less than a year

Pros

great employee discount,
    nice coworker if you work non draw,
    flexible schedule,
    nice day off policy,

Cons

if work draw, high pressure. other coworker may steal your sale.
    if work non-draw, commission is very low, base is low too,
    no room to growth,
    client book has to be improved,
    schedule is flexible, but not stable. it changes every week. For part timer, baby shift is a pain. You have drive 30 mins to work for only 3 hours.

For part timers, it is better to give them a long shift and less work days, rather than give them so many work days only for working 3 hours.

Unorganized

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's part-time for less than a year

Pros

-Good Salary
    -Good Training
    -Friendly managers
    -Comission
    -friendly coworkers

Cons

-Unorganized
    -Low morale
    -Slow business
    -rude customers
    -long hours

great experience

Former Employee - Cosmetic Sales  in  Hackensack, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Cosmetic Sales in Hackensack, NJ (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

the employee discount and commission and working in the fashion world

Cons

the low pay if you don't have a job with commision.. working weekends and evenings. standing all day.

treat all employees with respect

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work. They offer competitive pay, benefits and discounts. Professional environment.

Former Employee - Manager  in  Newport Coast, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager in Newport Coast, CA (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good communication between management team. Supportive, healthy interaction between management team on all levels. All team members seemed to be invested in the company.

Cons

A lot of restructuring from year to year. Could use a technology and applications update, some reporting systems are very outdated.

Overall good experience and culture. Make managers jobs easier by investing in reporting software and local store operators. It can be difficult to reach people when calling into the store. Also would benefit the company to place greater emphasis on service.

Perfect for Part-time

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Great as a part time job, flexible hours for part time along with having to deal with less drama. Possibility to make commission in a draw vs. commission department.

Cons

A lot of rivalry due to sales ownership, and stealing of other associates sales. A lot of stress and drama if working full time. Goals are often unreasonable. Not very busy throughout the year making it difficult to make numbers.

Make reasonable goals for your associates.

No regrets. Live and learn. For retail, it wasn't bad.

I worked at Bloomingdale's

Pros

I have worked retail for a long time and this was my favorite team I have ever worked with. I miss them so much.

For retail, it was pretty good. Great vendor seminars and sometimes even free product.

I actually respect how unlike other retailers, Bloomingdales values a college education enough to only promote from within if you have a bachelors.

Great assortment, great discount, and most managers in the downtown San Francisco store are high quality experienced people.

Cons

Very political back door politics. My divisional was notorious for firing anyone just because he didn't like them as a person and didn't want to work with them anymore. That is not respectable, and it should never have employers in fear,

Draw vs commission is beneficial to them, but very horrifying for employees who slave away making a 2500 sale and then having their hard work ripped out of their wallet when they finally have a day off. All of their competitors pay that way though, so that one will unfortunately never change. I finally left retail altogether and I work for an amazing fashion startup that provides lunch, holiday parties on yahts and sporting events! And unlike Bloomingdales and other retailers, they invest in their people and promote from within. They love upward climb and they are all about trusting their employees to be supervisors before burning out from 800 years of experience. I get every Sunday off. Leaving was a great choice .

Invest and you will not have turnover. Make it a place people refuse to leave or else they will always seek to do better.

Good Pay to start out and a family vibe for employees

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Intimate co worker relations, meaning its like a family, lots of charity work and great discounts, good vacation time

Cons

They pay well up front but then don't give room for greater growth in raises

There needs to be more room for pay raises with promotions

it was a good experience I sold fur so it was quite different than a regular sales position.

I have been working at Bloomingdale's

Pros

Great Money With Commission.
    Great discounts and specials given to employees.

Cons

Many factors influence the fur industry weather being a main component.
    I worked part-time and the requirements that I witnessed of the full-time employees were very very high.

Great People at Bloomingdale's

Former Employee - Sku Set-up Analyst  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sku Set-up Analyst in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Full Benefits, Good Salary, Good People. I had a good time with Bloomingdale's. This famous company allowed me to build lasting personal relationships.

Cons

My only little gripe was that is was very politically correct. That is not like me, I am much too independent minded an slightly old fashioned, conservative if you please!

I would say there is little advice to management. They do an excellent job overall. They pay great attention to benefits, work-life balance and company values. No complaints here.

Terrific

Former Employee - Recovery  in  Short Hills, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Recovery in Short Hills, NJ (US)

I worked at Bloomingdale's full-time for more than a year

Pros

My co-workers were great, I loved the discounts and getting paid every week. Paid vacations and most of my co-workers were very professional. The vendors were always very nice and gave sales associates free gifts.

Cons

Very limited room for growth in some departments. That is really the only con in my opinion working for Bloomingdales and that all depends on which department you work for.

My advice for management would be to keep up the good work

Bloomingdale's Photos

Outside of the Flagship store for Bloomingdale's department store, located on Lexington Avenue in New York City. (Photo by Coolcaesar - available under under CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0 & GFDL, v1.2)
The Fortress that is the Beverly Center
Magnolia Bakery at Bloomingdale's

+ Add Photo

Worked for Bloomingdale's? Contribute to the Community!