Blockbuster

Blockbuster Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Blockbuster President Michael Kelly

Michael Kelly

Pros
  • Great weekly benefits with 10 free rentals a week(in 182 reviews)

• We got ten free movies per week which was a great perk(in 152 reviews)

Cons
  • Unrealistic expectations, upper management out of touch with what the customer wanted(in 46 reviews)

• unrealistic sales goals, upper management micro managed too much(in 31 reviews)

Good pay, they care about the employees. Definitely a good college student job. Flexible hours, sad to see it slow down.

Cashier (Former Employee) Leamington, ON

ProsA lot of good hours, benefits not so much. Could have been a suitable employer for students but the company no longer operates as it used to.

ConsEmployees always felt restricted to different positions, it was decent for temporary work, but it's too mind numbing. Boring and does not include enough opportunities for employees.

Fun part time job

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Peterborough, ON

ProsGreat discount, 10 free rentals a week. Nice staff to work with, easy job. Be nice to people, recommend movies. I miss this job.

ConsStore manager was causing more work than they completed. Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementYour training is good. There needs to be more training for advancement. Perks are good but need to keep an eye on store managers.

Good while it lasted.

District Manager (Former Employee)

ProsPretty good work/life balance. People were great and really passionate about movies.

ConsDeclining business model tough for sales.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic until the end, customers knew more about BBV Canada closing than the employees did.

Store Manager (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsThe staff, the customers, the movies and games

ConsLack of direction from senior management when BBV Canada was going through bankruptcy. Not being able to receive extra copies of movies because the store didnt make money before I took over.

Key Holder

FT Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsMovies before they were available to the public.

ConsThe company was managed horribly and in the end they treated their staff like crap.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue the employees working for you.

Good for entry into workforce and some basic experience.

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsGreat people. Free movie rental and some basic business/customer service training.

ConsIneffective business practices and inability to adapt let to their closure.

Advice to Senior ManagementSinking ship unfortunately.

The people were wonderful, but head office didn't understand which films were valuable

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Windsor, ON

ProsFree rentals and lenient schedule

ConsMore work with minimal staff

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the frontline

A great over all experience at Blockbuster Canada!!!!

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Hamilton, ON

ProsThe staff were amazing the customers were amazing. Lots of opportunity for growth. Great perks!! Always keeping staff fully trained in all areas. Very flexible scheduling.

ConsThat it went bankrupt because of the American parent company having Canada co-sign a loan. Really old POS system and a failure to be innovative.

Stagnant

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsGreat employee programs, early access to movies, games, etc..., and the corporate culture is good. I really feel like I learned a lot about sales while I worked here, although your mileage may vary.

ConsThe management is highly incompetent, but ordinarily, the staff are able to keep the ship sailing at a normal rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people to be store managers who know what they are doing.

OK student job

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee) Montreal, QC

ProsPretty good job for a student. 10 free movie rentals per week, 10% discount on most merchandise, flexible schedules, interesting motivational contests, customers were generally nice.

ConsThe pay was quite low, the evening shifts finished around midnight,many employees were dishonest, and shoplifting happened much too frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should hire managers that are more disciplined and hire less teenagers. With a more controlled and structured work environment, my job would have easier.

Worked for Blockbuster? Contribute to the Community!