BlackBerry

BlackBerry Reviews in Canada

Updated Jul 30, 2014

BlackBerry CEO & Executive Chair John Chen

John Chen

Pros
  • Great work life balance, standard benefits, good company name to have on your resume (in 70 reviews)

• Flexible working hours; Good employee benefit (in 42 reviews)

Cons
  • While work life balance was preached a lot at BlackBerry it was never really very fair (in 25 reviews)

• Senior management is still looking for or defining the way back to glory (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights
622 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Director

Director (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON

ProsThis company had some very fantastic people that were very loyal and motivated to succeed. The company paid very well and had very good benefits.

ConsThe downsizing over the last few years was definitely the worst part of the job. Seeing good friends let go and having to let very good employees go was not fun.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to keep talented people and in the current situation it is usually the most talented people that leave. Find ways to keep the talent in the organization.

Lots of experience to garner

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosa company that has a good culture, very good people

ConsTakes time to get things done

Great internship, learned a lot but saw the scars of interdepartment politics

Hardware Test Engineer (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON

Pros- lots of opportunity to pursue projects you're interested in
    - some very experienced, highly educated employees
    - lots of high-tech toys
    - good work-life balance

Cons- interdepartment politics
    - disinterested, tired employees
    - some employees and departments are filled with people with toxic personalities

Conclusion: I couldn't see myself having a career in this environment, not a very effective catalyst for promoting ground-breaking work, really researching the heart of the problems to discover what is going on.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that the relationships between various is department more so than competitive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

N/A

Prosperks, leadership, training, good, bad

Consgood, bad, life balance, office culture, compensation

Great team, variety of work, bad decision at top level management

Manufacturing Software Developer (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON

ProsBest in class benefits and compensation, fun team-building events, great variety of challenging projects and amazing team atmosphere.

Compensation package after the layoff last year was above expectations. This company really takes care of its employees - even when it lets them go.

ConsManufacturing Software Development is "guilty until proven otherwise" - even though the cause may be in a difference department. Whenever there is a problem in production - Mfg Software Dev gets the blame and has through the cycle of clearing its name.

Some of the decisions in top level management caused company to lose fight against iPhone and Samsung - resulting in huge layoffs last year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better marketing. The product BlackBerry makes is the best in class - but few people know that.

Great Flexible Place to work

Senior Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON

Pros- Smart people to work with made for a great environment.
    - Great learning experience. Learned more in 5 years there than any other job.
    - Autonomy was key, and appreciated.
    - Everyone was driving toward the same goal, which made the team, a team.

Cons- Communication was difficult throughout a highly matrixed organization
    - R&D lead company

Great place to work. Enjoyed every minute of it.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBenefits, salary and work culture. Chance to work with the best in the industry.

ConsSome of the employees in senior positions are "oldies" who don't have leadership quality but are there because they joined the company early on.

BlackBerry Security - A great place to work and learn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA great leadership team
    Market leading security researchers and product managers
    Lots of opportunities to work with security-sensitive clients

Conswork-life balance may be tough
    The overall situation with the company didn't help in improving the morale of the teams. Job security was an issue.

Great experience but VP's are frustrating to work for

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Waterloo, ON

ProsGood pay and great benefits
    Exciting opportunities

ConsFrustrating to work for many of the VP's there
    The HR department is a joke they just hire and fire. There is no development structure

Advice to Senior ManagementGet alignment from top to bottom. Most of the VP's are terrible and there are too many of them
    The entire HR team needs to have a career development program. The terrible courses they make available is a joke.

overall, pretty good

Prosgood team, learned a lot from the job

Conscompany is sinking, lay off for the team

Worked for BlackBerry? Contribute to the Community!