Black & Veatch

Updated 21 January, 2015
Updated 21 January, 2015
3.6

Steve Edwards

Pros
  • Decent work-life balance along with a vast array of training resources that complement your job development (in 13 reviews)

• B&V has good pay, a good bonus program and a good stock ownership program (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • B&V management and leadership is so diabolically bad that the entire company is one giant mismanaged disaster (in 10 reviews)

• You can go to foreign assignment only if you kiss up to upper management (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent experience, especially in work life balance.

Former Employee - Senior Geologist in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Geologist in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Growth potential, especially in the Kansas City area.

Cons

Company is still a bit Kansas City-centric, but getting better.

Employee owned, people focused, challenging environment.

Current Employee - Construction in Overland Park, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Construction in Overland Park, KS (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love the work flexibility and how quickly new professionals can "have a seat at the table." I have worked for companies in similar industries and they can be stuck in the past, set in their ways with the "due your time" mentality. Don't get me wrong, B&V is still pretty conservative but we have flexible work schedules and recognize that, to meet our aggressive growth initiatives, we have to be open to new and innovative ways of getting the job done. They do a good job of promoting internal job opportunities which I like as well.

Cons

It's a matrixed corporate environment so making decisions or getting the go ahead can be a lengthy process at times. Also, we are growing rapidly so there is naturally some pain involved with the process. Lots of new exciting programs but you have to be resilient to change.

Get on the ground level a bit more and familiarize yourself with the masses that feel the pain of the work and who have great ideas on how to make things better. Get creative in what constitutes a "benefit" i.e. health and wellness programs, remote work capabilities, casual Fridays, etc.

Excellent Place to work and grow

I have been working at Black & Veatch

Pros

Excellent Work culture, Diversified, proper work life balance

Cons

Can get stuck in one team

Try to train more professionals in six sigma

Gained some valuable experience in construction management

Former Employee - Project Controls Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Project Controls Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great management and working environment

Cons

Employment was temporary, project based.

Great people, good company but not for me.

Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Civil Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people here are great. In every group I worked with, the people were the best part. The management is good, in my opinion, allowing me to work on real projects from the start, who value and respect their employees. There is the ability to move around and try out new areas but you have to let it be known and work hard for it.

Cons

The work for me was very mundane and boring. The software can be old at times as they create their own software for many tasks.

Give it to the people you hire straight. You will probably be doing the same thing day in, and day out, for a long time.

PJC03

I have been working at Black & Veatch

Pros

I like the people I work with. The problem is almost 30% of our office was laid off. I'm running out of people to like.

Cons

Management is atrocious, both local and HQ. Telecom division is definitely the worst. They lack the ability to adapt, fear change, resist and even fight innovators, but still demand all those things of the employees.

Grow a sack, face your lack of vision for the future and get over your fears. Hire people that are smarter than you (not hard in most cases) and rely on them to take you to where you want to go.

First year of full time employment at Black and Veatch

Current Employee - Renewable Energy Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Renewable Energy Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Black & Veatch full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Black and Veatch has a long history in the renewable energy industry with a great reputation among developers and financial institutions. Very well educated and stable workforce with decades of experience withing the industry. Employee owned company. Good work/life balance. Good opportunities to grow your career in different technologies.

Cons

Each employee is responsible to find work within the company pipeline to fill their weekly time sheet. Any self improvement efforts must be approved in advance. There is no per diem for projects that require long term deployment.

Don't rely on your supervisors so much to determine if your employees are satisfied with their jobs.

Stability has some drawbacks

I have been working at Black & Veatch

Pros

Stable company that wants to do the right thing

Cons

Might be too big to change.

I worked in the Telecom division for Black and Veatch.

Former Employee - Construction Associate in San Ramon, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Construction Associate in San Ramon, CA (US)

I worked at Black & Veatch

Pros

My co workers were all very friendly and quick to help with processes or answering questions about processes. They did encourage employees to come up with ideas and ways to improve processes. The salary was very good.

Cons

Most of the leadership was not very approachable. They would sit in their offices with their doors closed. Also, It was not very clear how to move forward in the company.

Please give the proper training when bringing on a new employee based on what position they will be doing. People want to work and do a good job for the company and it would be great to start out with the right tools from the start.