Biolife Plasma Services
www.biolifeplasma.com Deerfield, IL 1000 to 5000 Employees

Biolife Plasma Services Reviews

Updated Apr 01, 2014
Biolife Plasma Services – US – “Biolife Plasma Services”

Philanthropic work, Poor management

Senior Plasma Center Technician (Former Employee)
Muncie, IN (US)

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company values it's patients above all else. My coworkers were mostly really great, hardworking people who I still keep in touch with. The donors were also really great to talk to. We were able to pay for my wife's college with the paycheck, and it was really helpful when we needed it.

ConsIt is hard to work for a company that you feel like doesn't respect you as an employee. I have a very loyal personality, and I feel like I was taken advantage of and lied to because of it. I was passed up for promotions because of menial reasons that shouldn't have played a part as well as sexism; I was a better worker than over half of the workers they promoted and many of my coworkers agreed. Not a good situation for me and a few others that I worked with.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more respectful and kind to your employees. Don't promise promotions and not fulfill them. Do not lie outright to your employees.

Working at Biolife was a decent experience.

Senior Plasma Center Technician (Former Employee)
Mentor, OH (US)

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time

ProsAmazing benefits. The pay is decent for an untrained phlebotomist. Biolife loves to hire military veterans. The work is fast paced (if you are on the donor floor or in the lab). The management can be good. If you work hard, are good at your job, and to not partake in the ridiculous amount of gossip that goes on, you will climb the ladder.

ConsThere seems to be some favoritism that goes along with promotions. I saw less qualified personnel advanced over highly qualified, experienced phlebotomists. However, that does happen everywhere. You do not get much of a chance to stay hydrated while working (CLIA laboratory rules). The attendance policy is one of the strictest I've seen.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to eliminate the gossip, and create a better attendance policy.

Great entry level place for career development

Plasma Center Technician (Former Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat pay and benefits at entry level. Nice tuition reimbursement program.

ConsFMLA program needs to be better defined. Too many employees abuse the program causing shortages in staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementFMLA program needs to be better defined and managed. Too many employees abuse the program causing shortages in staff undue stress on remaining staff.

Dedication isn't enough

Center Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsHealth benefits and friendly co workers.

ConsProcesses constantly changing
Corporate management doesn't bother with everyday employees
No job security....if upper management doesn't like you they will jump at first chance to fire you rather than help you work thru issues. So no loyalty,trust or respect. One regional manager is Mormon so your job is secure in his region if you are too

Advice to Senior ManagementReligion should not play a factor in retaining employees. Don't dismiss valued employees who just need some help.

This is a great stepping stone if you can make it through the swamp of fecal matter

Greensboro, NC (US)

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBenefits are very good and affordable. Immediate availability of vacation time. You gain amazing skills in quality assurance and control. You have the opportunity to meet several personalities throughout the day.

ConsHours are awful and inconsistent. There are too many leaders who lack the skills to perform such a job. Its a constant battle to get proper direction or leadership. Management is dishonest, extremely prejudice, bias and self serving. They see you as profits first, a number second, and a human being third. The turn overrate is literally over 60% constantly and they are so desperate to hire new bodies they hire the most under-qualified personnel imaginable. They do not take security seriously and will keep important information from you. An example. A donor committed suicide, and kept a journal stating he was going to come and kill 3 specific named individuals and anyone else in his path. The center has received plenty of threats before. The assistant manager simply got scared and went home for the day leaving the rest of us there to work. Management will bully the hell out of you and will never ever behave professional unless it benefits them to do so. Expect them to take things very personal and retaliate against you. They display absolute cowardice and hold no integrity in keeping their word

Advice to Senior ManagementJust shut the center down or start from scratch.

It is good

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time

ProsThey do a great job accommodating to a persons schedules and the people there are so friendly.

ConsThey don't really give room for advancement until your first year in the company.

Pretty good, I have made some pretty great friends there.

Master Plasma Center Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are great, it's a fast pace environment, donors are friendly

ConsSome days are pretty hectic

Have to understand the buisness to acknowledge the great Job

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services

ProsHad a great mentor, the staff (the most of the time) was a good staff and didnt need much direction to do their job properly and efficiently

ConsUpper management could have used some work in talking and relating to employees, some employees were allowed a little to much leniency that shouldnt have been tolerated

Horrible place to work if your looking for a decent work/life balance

I have been working at Biolife Plasma Services

ProsI've worked with some great people.
Very high standards of quality.
Producing high quality plasma for thousands of people in need of life saving medicines.

ConsBiolife continues to open up it's hours of operation in order to collect more plasma, expecting its employees to work even more inconsistent schedules.
The pay doesn't reflect the job expectations, which is exactly why so many great people leave.

Rewarding

Fond du Lac, WI (US)

I worked at Biolife Plasma Services full-time for more than 5 years

Pros-Culture of continuous improvement
-Involve all employee levels in decision making
-Understand the importance of integrity when making decisions
-Actually making a difference in the lives of others who need our product

Cons-Extremely difficult to manage a work/life balance, specifically when the job expectations require quality at a high rate of production

Advice to Senior Management-Improve on reward and recognition..

Worked for Biolife Plasma Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Biolife Plasma Services reviews and ratings. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by Biolife Plasma Services employees.