Best Buy

5,589 Reviews

Best Buy CEO Hubert Joly
Hubert Joly
1,750 Ratings

Pros
  • Finally the employee discount is one of the best I have ever seen or heard of (in 681 reviews)

• Most of the people know what they are talking about and fun to work with (in 108 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance only exists under quality General Management which is rare (in 165 reviews)

• The pay was low, even for full time employees that have been there for a long time (in 163 reviews)

More Highlights

97 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Best Buy Mobile

Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate  in  The Woodlands, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in The Woodlands, TX (US)

Pros

Good company,relaxed sometimes, easy, no real stress.

Cons

Horrible pay, no commission, 400 dollar paychecks every 2 weeks, not enough to live on.

Commission. Make it commission.

Long term sentence

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Get to work with good people in the stores. Company provides you with bonus potential. Company gives you earned time off. Get to work with new technology.

Cons

The goals are unreachable. The goals change from day to day. They continuously look for what you are doing wrong and not what you are doing right. If they are searching for Revenues and you make that, then they focus on your solutions or whatever you are not meeting the goals of. They give you vacation time, but never any time to take it. Do not expect to have a good work life balance at Best Buy as a salary manager of any type. They opportunity for promotions are continually shrinking seeming every 12-18 months and have been for the past 5-6 years at least. Your best bet is to be recruited. (they pay people from outside the company with no knowledge of BBY much higher salaries than the internal talent that they have). Finally it's extreme retail. Don't expect time off during any holiday or drive time that they have....and they have a drive time all of the time. From 2nd week in october until about the end of the first week in January say good bye to your family and there are a lot of politics at the company. If you can't play that game don't expect to move up with in the company.

Low Paying, Nice Student Job

Former Employee - Geek Squad, Counter-Operations Agent (COA)  in  The Woodlands, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Geek Squad, Counter-Operations Agent (COA) in The Woodlands, TX (US)

Pros

This company will work around your school schedule, and has a very small incentive while you're with them.

Cons

Low pay, huge corporate ladder, management doesn't communicate with its employees.

Fire half of the management, this company has too much red tape.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rating Overall

Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent  in  League City, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Advanced Repair Agent in League City, TX (US)

Pros

Good Benefit Package, 401k, Medical, Dental plans
    Fellow Employees in Geek Squad are nice to work with. Most of the Best Buy Employees however are lazy.

Cons

Lazy Best Buy Managers, Lazy Best Buy Coworkers,

Lowest Tech Pay in any company I have seen in quite sometime. The pay sucks for what your job entails as far as a Advanced Repair Agent. Been with the company for over 5 years with Geek Squad and .25 cents a year raise is like a spit in the face. I bust my tail for that place regularly and I don't feel I am getting paid what I am worth.

Step up to the plate and pay your Techs what they are worth.
    Work harder on training employees correctly on the sales floor.
    Actually Manage your employees.

Great employees, Management only looks out for themselves

Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Best Buy Mobile Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Decent pay if its your first job

Cons

Raises are anywhere from 10-30cents a year

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

I survived Best Buy

Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile SAS Lead Sales Consultant  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Best Buy Mobile SAS Lead Sales Consultant in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

The people I worked with were awesome and made the job fun and rewarding.

The bonus was based on how the store did as a whole- I liked that better. It gave everyone a level playing field and the opportunity to motivate the team instead of just individuals.

The discount was always nice.

I worked in the Galleria in Houston and I got to meet different people everyday from around the world. It was a great experience.

Always room for advancement-if you work for it!

Cons

Two words:customer service. It will never be an easy going job, but it makes you stronger. We dealt with our fair share of crap customers (we all know those people exist) but it's manageable.

Best Buy now opens on Thanksgiving night, which I completely disagree with. Luckily, I left in Nov. 2012 when that started.

Store Managers often came and went.

More, More, More

Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Home Theater Sales Associate in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

I enjoy the diversity and cultural acceptance. I take advantage of the insurance and 401k

Cons

The only thing that matters is getting more. More GSP, more revenue, higher margin. I understand being profitable but at what cost? As an employee we are not commissioned but all I hear every day is how we have to make bonus. That means nothing to the people actually doing the work. I feel like I am padding the supervisors and managers pockets with nothing in return.

Appreciate your employees with adequate compensation.

Ok Job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Flexible hours and free shirts. Co workers were very respectful at all times and managers seemed to be nice.

Cons

Constant pressure to sell sell sell garbage service protection plans that were way too expensive

Good beginning job

Former Employee - SWAT Specialist  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - SWAT Specialist in Houston, TX (US)

Pros

Great benefits. Good incentives. Strong desire to make sales

Cons

Hard to earn promotion. No appreciation for inventory staff

Place more stringent standards and hold people accountable to their actions

Great Starting Point, Move on if you want to move up in the company.

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist  in  The Woodlands, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in The Woodlands, TX (US)

Pros

Depending on your Leadership the training is great, Hours depending on what type of store you are at are good also

Cons

Lowest paid employees in retail next to walmart, If you want to move up in the company you need to join the local Good ole boys club. Its about who you know and not what you know.

Worked for Best Buy? Contribute to the Community!