Bemis

Bemis President and CEO Henry J. Theisen

Henry J. Theisen

Career Path

I worked at Bemis full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThere was no need to worry about advancement. All high level positons were filled by those from the outside.

ConsUnless you are in the Fox River Valley, you have little chance to advance. At the plant level, outsiders were constantly brought in to take higher level positions.

Its a paycheck

Department Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bemis full-time for more than a year

ProsBetter than unemployment
Large organization
More than 150 years of existence

ConsNo interest in input from employees
Very short-sighted strategic decisions
Very un-informed upper management

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time to learn your business before making strategic decisions

Bemis is truely a professional company with professional people

Supervisor I T Audit (Current Employee)
Oshkosh, WI (US)

I have been working at Bemis

ProsBemis treats employees with dignity, respect, and a professionalism unmatched in the country. Bemis finds, trains, and keeps excellent employees.

ConsIf you enjoy the northern states, like Minnesota or Wisconsin, then Bemis headquarters and location of employment may be a perfect fit for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the Good work. Your company is truely a wonderful environment to work and grow a career. Best wishes to your fine organization.

I loved most aspects of my job even during the stressful economic times that the company experienced in recent years.

I worked at Bemis

ProsI felt there was great interaction between departments to maintain a cutting edge within the industry. The manufacturing facility in Indiana managed to recover during economic challenges that required substantial downsizing.

ConsIt was very difficult finding opportunities for advancement. Most exempt employees worked very long hours on a regular basis, particularly during the economic hard times.

Excellent place to work.

I worked at Bemis

ProsPeople are great to work with.
Large company culture
Bemis' Products are located in every aisle of the grocery store

ConsLarge company culture
Human Resources department can be tough to deal with, too bureaucratic
Bemis doesn't understand their key assets are employees.\

very Educational

Mechanical Engineering Co-op (Former Employee)
Oshkosh, WI (US)

I worked at Bemis

ProsThe company supports personal growth and learning very well. Big company with small company feel which makes it an easy place to work.

ConsSome of the facilities use union labor, it make it hard to get work done because the negative attitude of union workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the unions out of the shop to keep a positive attitude in the work place and keep productivity up.

Exposed to opportunities to better my career

I worked at Bemis

ProsDifferent opportunities throughout the country and you are given the chance to explore these opportunities. Smalleer plants do give more of a personal job.

ConsLarge company, nothing is personal. Some jobs the pay isn't at where the competitors are paying for comparable jobs and positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds more focus on rewarding the production associates. This is where the money and buisiness opportunities are made or lossed.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Bemis

ProsWorldwide leader in plastics manufacturing. Very large company. Good benefits. I am glad to work for such a stable company.

ConsI believe there are times when the sales force and the rest of the company don't communicate as well as they should.

You could not work for a more company more hostile towards its lower level employees

Press Operator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bemis

ProsIts a pay check and has decent benefits. But they will never hire another full time employee only season help and temp workers.

ConsConstant policy changes designed to write up and fire as many hourly employees as possible.
Constant harassment from management.
Now matter what you do or how good you do it it is never enough.
Unequal treatment between employees.
They hire people to run departments that have no clue about the production process for the department.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit changing policies every week. When your employees tell there is a problem listen. Employee morale is important and right now it cant get much lower. Learn to cooperate with the bargaining unit. They are not your enemy but are there to help.

It's a family company, with all that comes with that

Shirley, MA (US)

I worked at Bemis

ProsFirst, the company is very important in the surrounding towns: it's a big employer locally, and the owners (the Howard Family) make a lot of local investments and coordinate a lot of volunteer work. The benefits include access to a small onsite gym, family healthplan with no premium, and a pension plan in addtion to a 401K plan.

ConsIf you've come from a larger corporate environment, you may be disappointed. The management is rather amateurish. My impression is that the current generation of family ownership is very civic minded, but lacks business experience. Middle-management especially is homegrown and very week. This could be an opportunity if you have a background in modern, metrics based management...you would be bringing religion to the wilderness here.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough it's worked well for you so far, you may be left behind unless you embrace modern management techniques. Senior-management would especially benefit from some more seasoned hands.

Worked for Bemis? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bemis reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bemis CEO Henry J. Theisen. All 22 reviews are posted anonymously by Bemis employees.