Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated 15 December, 2014
2.8

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • They train employees on product knowledge to help deliver better customer service (in 120 reviews)

• You will learn a lot about products you never even considered owning or even knew about before (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 28 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Best culture ever

Current Employee - Front End Lead
    Current Employee - Front End Lead

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time (less than an year)

Pros

No complaining, everyone is helpful and friendly, good benefits

Cons

No complaints really sometimes it can get a little hectic when it gets busy.

Non

Doesn`t worth your time

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

People do their best to be nice. 20% off everything in store.

Cons

You will slave. If you are a student and you have absolutely no other choice, go get it.
    But, if you are somebody who desires more, who finished you studies etc, forget about it because you will never be satisfied with the kind of job you will have to do. PLUS, you will never get enough hours.. I mean, you will get less than 20 hours a week. Management is not consistent at all. They work in a rotative management system and each manager wants things done in a different way. Absolutely stressful and disorganized.

Be consistent. Respect your employees ensuring a minimum of 20 hours/week.

Not Bad

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Teaches excellent work ethic (going above and beyond), being able to work in all parts of the store, and very understanding and supportive management.

Cons

Safety risks with climbing ladders.

Invest in better, safer ladders.

Employee Discount

Former Employee - Customer Representative in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Customer Representative in Calgary, AB

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I love this company you can get almost everything in this store what you need prices a little high but at the end of the day it worth it.

Cons

if your family members wants a discount the management gets upset I don't know Why but yes they treat the employee family with no respect when it comes to employee discount after you get your 2. Or 3 purchases you can tell that they are start getting upset .

Pls treat your employee and their family exactly like your family

WAY too many responsibilities for a stressful minimum wage retail job

Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Victoria, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Victoria, BC

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's nice to have 20% off the merchandise, but when you can download a 20% off coupon from the internet, or get them sent to you several times a year by email, and you see paperwork that shows 75%-85% markup on all merchandise, it's not really that much of a perk. Oh the mandatory 15 min breaks every 4 hours are nice I guess, but the job is so exhausting you need to sit down every 4 hours for sure!

Cons

They say from the start they are all about customer service, and that ONE customer standing in line is considered a lineup at the cashier, and they never want customers (a customer) to wait in line, but then managers cheap out and only schedule one worker on the Customer Service desk every am, ("it's not very busy" they say) so any time there is more than one person in line, she is on the walkie calling for backup help. When it would be totally fine to help one customer, then the other, rather than make it a whole big deal, have the walkie involved, someone else comes running, calls the 2nd customer to another till, has to log into the till, is out of breath, half a mind on what she was doing before she was interrupted. And by then the Customer Service girl is already done with the first customer and could have been halfway done helping this 2nd customer. Who now has to wait for me to log into my till and switch gears from floor to cashier to help them. It's a very weird policy. So if you are on the floor, like I was, and you inevitably hear the call for backup cashier, in the middle of helping a customer, you have to disengage, say on the walkie you're busy, and hope someone else goes. if nobody else does, and the girl at the front calls again, you have to leave your customer and RUN to the cashier, check out one, maybe two people, and then go back to the floor, where your customer has probably moved on, but you have no idea if they got what they were looking for. It's the WEIRDEST policy. Very stressful too, because you are constantly listening to the walkie, so not really present with your customers on the floor, and always being called away from what you are doing. Also in the morning, you have to restock the shelves. Another weird policy. if they sell ONE towel, someone in the stockroom pulls another one of those towels out, puts it in a shopping cart, and you in the morning, on the floor, have to put that one towel back on the top of the pile, so the store always looks super full. It's so inefficient though. So I am doing that, rather than walking around greeting customers and asking if I can help, if I can help them spend money? VERY often I had customers complaining to me that there is nobody to help them. That's cause a) management has decided morning isn't busy so they don't need to hire too many people b) my time is better spend restocking one towel here one towel there than helping them and c) I'm the backup cashier because I'm the only one on this 3,000 square foot side of the store so I'll have to run if I get called. Sorry Mr Customer! But Customer Service is our #1 priority, really!!! SO WEIRD!!! And the training is so extensive, it goes on for DAYS. For minimum wage retail job!!! Seriously? I have to do that TOO?! At the same time that I'm expected to do those other things? for minimum wage I just don't understand why they don't have another cashier on, for minimum wage, to stand there, relaxed, smiling, ready to help customers, so that I can remain on the floor relaxed, smiling, helping customers. There would be way more sales and way happier customers. SOOO often, I get called from the floor to the till, and I get there, and there are like 8 people standing around customer service, and ALL the tills are empty. It looks SO BAD ON THE STORE!! And the customers inevitably ask, after I've gone up to one and said, "I'll help you, come over to this till" then I run behind the till, log in with the like 10 clicks it takes, then started helping them, they ask, "Why is there nobody on cash?" It's embarrassing really. But BBB is still expanding, bringing in Bye Bye Baby apparently to Canada, so I doubt they'll change. So just don't work there!! It's a VERY stressful place to work. My manager also had no emotional intelligence or managerial skills, was one of those people who only ever pointed out what you were doing wrong, never complimented or gave positive feedback, (manager training BBB?) she was a totally different person in the interview with me (charming, lovely, told me 20 hours a week would be no problem) than she was in person. She was awful, so unkind, and I literally had so much performance anxiety from anticipating all her negative comments, after a few months there that one day I just phoned in (got another manager thank gawd) and resigned. I would never recommend anyone intelligent, sensitive, anyone who sincerely loves giving great customer service as I do, EVER apply to this horrible company.

Read above VERY carefully. Also, be clearer about the fact that you can't even guarantee the 15 or 20 hours part-time people expect. That it will change every week, but you don't do the schedule until a few days before, so hopefully the applicant has A SECOND part time job that they can call at the last minute and they'll give you hours, cause BBB can't guarantee it and they have no idea what it will be week to week, and it's all done last minute, depending on sales revenue I can only guess. Also, maybe let people get comfortable with one thing (working the floor and helping customers) before piling on the paperwork and online ordering and stocking and all the other things. Maybe don't do ALL the training at once, day after day. It's exhausting, stressful, and without practicing and gaining experience and confidence, you will just create anxious, hesitant employees who will be unable to help customers in a relaxed, pleasant, informed way. Also, teach your managers that before they criticize, they should compliment. As in, "Great job how you stocked the towels today, it looks great! I'd love to work on your online ordering, could we spend some time doing that today?" You know, basic stuff. Your managers could really use it.

Fun but sometimes boring

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Mainly the other associates are the best reason to stay. You do get training on all product on the floor so helps out a lot when dealing with customers

Cons

Having to give 30 days notice for time off. Needing to bring in a doctors note when calling in sick.

I feel a doctors note is only necessary once an associate has called in more sick days than usual. I have never called in sick yet and therefore feel that you can trust that when I do I am sick and do not want to venture to a medicentre to waste valuable sleeping time trying to get a note. It should be at the discretion of management when someone calls in sick to advise them if they need a note or not.

Decent Job

Current Employee - Hard Side Associate in Brampton, ON
    Current Employee - Hard Side Associate in Brampton, ON

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good hours if you do the job correctly. They accommodate school schedules and full time work schedules. Good management team Coworkers are very helpful and friendly. Clean bathrooms

Cons

Not enough pay. Old database system. Customers can be childish, and can get any discount if they complain enough. When employees call off they aren't penalized. During slow periods there is a lack of hours. Christmas season the store is very understaffed.

Excellent company to work with.

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Very friendly staff and seniors

Cons

nothing as far as I know

Love working there and the people I work with

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dartmouth, NS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dartmouth, NS

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are great, fun to decorate rooms, for people, positive people and staff, creates great environment and team creation. General Manager knows her stuff, from creating a team to implementing process with successful results. Great organization. Everyone seems to work hard, and are proud of there store.

Cons

Getting hours, most of all getting full time hours seem impossible

Good company for customers, not so much for employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitby, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitby, ON

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-preach customer service; you will never receive better service in the retail industry
    -flexible hours for students
    -meet some good people

Cons

-store level employees are asked to do way more work than they are compensated for
    -no job outline, responsibilities change as management sees fit
    -voice is not heard as a store level employee, changes come from the top with no input from employees
    -it appears many times that I (part-time employee and student) care more about the success of the company than management who treat it as a job and not a career
    -poor hiring process leads to high employee turnover

-improve the hiring process so that employee turnover is not so high and the company is not wasting time and money on training
    -decrease the amount of responsibilities given to minimum wage employees, or pay them more
    -listen to your employees and incorporate their ideas more into merchandising, operations, customer service, etc. The ones on the front line often know the ins and outs of the market they are working in