Bed Bath & Beyond

Bed Bath & Beyond Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares

Steve Temares

Pros:
  • "Worked with cool people, learned a lot about customer service, great store manager"
    in 85 reviews
  • "You learn a lot of product knowledge in time in which will help you throughout you life"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "There is zero work life balance if you want to be successful there"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Getting hours, most of all getting full time hours seem impossible"
    in 41 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Excellent company to work with.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

ProsVery friendly staff and seniors

Consnothing as far as I know

Love working there and the people I work with

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Dartmouth, NS

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCustomers are great, fun to decorate rooms, for people, positive people and staff, creates great environment and team creation. General Manager knows her stuff, from creating a team to implementing process with successful results. Great organization. Everyone seems to work hard, and are proud of there store.

ConsGetting hours, most of all getting full time hours seem impossible

Good company for customers, not so much for employees

Whitby, ON

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than 3 years

Pros-preach customer service; you will never receive better service in the retail industry
-flexible hours for students
-meet some good people

Cons-store level employees are asked to do way more work than they are compensated for
-no job outline, responsibilities change as management sees fit
-voice is not heard as a store level employee, changes come from the top with no input from employees
-it appears many times that I (part-time employee and student) care more about the success of the company than management who treat it as a job and not a career
-poor hiring process leads to high employee turnover

Advice to Senior Management-improve the hiring process so that employee turnover is not so high and the company is not wasting time and money on training
-decrease the amount of responsibilities given to minimum wage employees, or pay them more
-listen to your employees and incorporate their ideas more into merchandising, operations, customer service, etc. The ones on the front line often know the ins and outs of the market they are working in

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Awesome, friendly staff and management that are close like a family and back each other up

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than 3 years

Pros-Awesome people and management
-Great Incentive Benefits (20% off all merchandise with offers on other products every month that are at vendor cost-company makes no profit)
-paid 15 minute breaks, non-paid 45 minute lunches (in an 8 hour shift: 2 15's and one lunch)
-Great training
-Managers and other associates always willing to help
-Company PREACHES customer service like it was the Bible, and they truly give their all to try and provide it.

ConsExpect too much of associates for what they are paid (Sales Associates also have to work the cash registers, clean the facilities and store, stock the shelves, work in the stock rooms)
Pay is awful for amount of work (Expect minimum wage or just above)
Company talks about employee empowerment, but they don't really provide it (no independency, everything must be cleared by a manager)

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the employees more or just hire extra people so the associates do not end up becoming jacks of all trades. When they are expected to do everything, it can take away from customer service, which is the mantra of your company.

It's ok...nothing to get too excited about

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

ProsGreat incentives and a great discount

ConsAll of my cons are specific to my store....

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring inappropriate people. You make the work environment gross.

What's left of my life at Bed Bath and Beyond

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI really enjoy working with most of my peers, and would have had a better experience if the company retained it's original customer service values.

ConsThe Obscene discrepancies in salaries of peers is really hard to get over.

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance is again on the decline, there should not exist a structure that allows for a department manager to make more than an assistant manager or an assistant manager to make more than a store manager.

This job taught me a lot of great customer service skills for an entry level position.

Customer Service and Bridal Consultant (Former Employee)
Santee, CA (US)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI had a lot of flexibility with my schedule, I started working here when I was 16 and they worked around my high school schedule, and did the same when I started college. Always things to be doing and working on, which was sometimes a con but staying busy made shifts go by quickly. I loved the huge focus on outstanding customer service, and it taught me a lot about dealing with any type of customer for future jobs I would have.

ConsNot a lot of room for growth. I went from working as a cashier, to working the "soft side" bedding and bath half of the store, to being a bridal consultant and after being there for 4 years it pretty much stopped there. The managers and higher-ups had all been in their positions for a while and unless they left there was nothing I could be promoted to and eventually felt stuck where I was at. Also the pay was not great, and everyone received pretty low raises at our reviews even though I always got perfect scores.

Sales Associate

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for less than a year

ProsThey have flexible Hours, clean working environment, and friendly customers.

ConsLower level managers were catty, at times. They would give false reports to the manager making some employees under them look badly, intentionally not reporting call-ins and saying they informed us of things which they did not.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your eyes and ears open to staff, and take into account that some staff members might be dishonest and it can hinder a positive working environment. It's fine for an assistant manger to not like you personally, but when you are a good worker, it is not good to business to attack someone for personal reasons when it is not job related.

Good but more for a person who is in school and needs flexibility.

Cashier (Current Employee)
Greeley, CO (US)

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for less than a year

ProsVery flexible hours and are very good with understanding certain situations that happen in everyday life.

ConsPoor communication towards employees about work schedules and days off.

Good job if you can learn on your feet

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

ProsGood benefits, discount on all products

ConsMust learn quickly and mostly learn on your own. No support to learn after onboarding process.

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bed Bath & Beyond reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bed Bath & Beyond CEO Steve Temares. All 646 reviews are posted anonymously by Bed Bath & Beyond employees.