Bed Bath & Beyond

Updated 19 September, 2014
2.7

Bed Bath & Beyond CEO and Director Steve Temares
Steve Temares

Pros
  • Great customer service policy which keeps great customer retention (in 98 reviews)

• Pay is good compared to other retailers (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • If you were to mention work/life balance while interviewing - you would never be hired (in 24 reviews)

• You must work long hours to really excel in your position (in 48 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun but sometimes boring

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than a year

Pros

Mainly the other associates are the best reason to stay. You do get training on all product on the floor so helps out a lot when dealing with customers

Cons

Having to give 30 days notice for time off. Needing to bring in a doctors note when calling in sick.

I feel a doctors note is only necessary once an associate has called in more sick days than usual. I have never called in sick yet and therefore feel that you can trust that when I do I am sick and do not want to venture to a medicentre to waste valuable sleeping time trying to get a note. It should be at the discretion of management when someone calls in sick to advise them if they need a note or not.

Decent Job

Current Employee - Hard Side Associate  in  Brampton, ON
    Current Employee - Hard Side Associate in Brampton, ON

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good hours if you do the job correctly. They accommodate school schedules and full time work schedules. Good management team Coworkers are very helpful and friendly. Clean bathrooms

Cons

Not enough pay. Old database system. Customers can be childish, and can get any discount if they complain enough. When employees call off they aren't penalized. During slow periods there is a lack of hours. Christmas season the store is very understaffed.

Excellent company to work with.

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Very friendly staff and seniors

Cons

nothing as far as I know

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love working there and the people I work with

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Dartmouth, NS
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dartmouth, NS

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Customers are great, fun to decorate rooms, for people, positive people and staff, creates great environment and team creation. General Manager knows her stuff, from creating a team to implementing process with successful results. Great organization. Everyone seems to work hard, and are proud of there store.

Cons

Getting hours, most of all getting full time hours seem impossible

Good company for customers, not so much for employees

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Whitby, ON
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Whitby, ON

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-preach customer service; you will never receive better service in the retail industry
    -flexible hours for students
    -meet some good people

Cons

-store level employees are asked to do way more work than they are compensated for
    -no job outline, responsibilities change as management sees fit
    -voice is not heard as a store level employee, changes come from the top with no input from employees
    -it appears many times that I (part-time employee and student) care more about the success of the company than management who treat it as a job and not a career
    -poor hiring process leads to high employee turnover

-improve the hiring process so that employee turnover is not so high and the company is not wasting time and money on training
    -decrease the amount of responsibilities given to minimum wage employees, or pay them more
    -listen to your employees and incorporate their ideas more into merchandising, operations, customer service, etc. The ones on the front line often know the ins and outs of the market they are working in

Awesome, friendly staff and management that are close like a family and back each other up

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

-Awesome people and management
    -Great Incentive Benefits (20% off all merchandise with offers on other products every month that are at vendor cost-company makes no profit)
    -paid 15 minute breaks, non-paid 45 minute lunches (in an 8 hour shift: 2 15's and one lunch)
    -Great training
    -Managers and other associates always willing to help
    -Company PREACHES customer service like it was the Bible, and they truly give their all to try and provide it.

Cons

Expect too much of associates for what they are paid (Sales Associates also have to work the cash registers, clean the facilities and store, stock the shelves, work in the stock rooms)
    Pay is awful for amount of work (Expect minimum wage or just above)
    Company talks about employee empowerment, but they don't really provide it (no independency, everything must be cleared by a manager)

Pay the employees more or just hire extra people so the associates do not end up becoming jacks of all trades. When they are expected to do everything, it can take away from customer service, which is the mantra of your company.

It's ok...nothing to get too excited about

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

Great incentives and a great discount

Cons

All of my cons are specific to my store....

Stop hiring inappropriate people. You make the work environment gross.

Originally, the best company I've worked for in my extensive retail management career, but we are becoming jaded.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

By far, the best thing has always been and will hopefully continue to be, the idea of practicing what they preach when it comes to customer service. So much of what we are trained to do comes as a bit of shock when we are actually expected and encouraged to service customers well 'Beyond' their expectations every day. This remains the best most valuable part of their culture and success.

Cons

Especially in the small to medium-sized stores, the workload for management below store manager level is overwhelming and impossible to execute every day. Customer service is always first and most important, then you are left with a list that will only get accomplished on your own time. No personal/professional growth and development opportunities exist in this company. Anything of this nature you are interested in pursuing must be done outside of work. Numerous blackout periods when no vacations are allowed (and at the discretion of the store manager), which make it nearly impossible to get vacation time when you'd actually like to take it.

Be more active in monitoring the store managers' control over the assistant managers and department managers work-life balance (or lack thereof).

Working at Bed Bath and Beyond

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond part-time

Pros

- You get close with some of your coworkers
    - Fun environment

Cons

-The computer systems are from the 1990's
    -Very slim chances for promotion.
    -Slow working staff

Keep up with the yearly reviews, don't keep staff after hours, be more organized

You get to face and deal with new challenges everyday.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Bed Bath & Beyond

Pros

The company has a lot to offer. You get to learn new things every day and have the ability to get promoted when being recognized. Everyone is so nice and always willing to help one another.

Cons

Not enough employees to do what is expected.

Treat each other the way you want to be treated.

Worked for Bed Bath & Beyond? Contribute to the Community!