Bechtel

Bechtel Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Bechtel Chairman Riley P. Bechtel

Riley P. Bechtel

Pros:
  • "9/80 schedule (off every other Friday) with flex scheduling (can come in any time between 6:30-8:30a"
    in 14 reviews
  • "multicultural, exposure to different work environment, get to learn a lot"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "No such thing as work life balance while on an international assignment"
    in 16 reviews
  • "no work life balance, over work you"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A leading company in the EPC Industry...

Mechanical Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat company for engineers and commerce graduates, strong processes compared to competitors, senior managers display leadership mindset, private company with strong financials, place high value on ethics and Bechtel covenant behaviour...

ConsMust be flexible to relocate if you want to advance in career, networking with peers and managers is a must to secure potential assignments, large contingent of Senior Managers with old school beliefs and arrogance, general low tolerance for exploring options that are not in line with traditional ways of working, IT systems and in-house tools are not up to speed with changing technologies, hiring processes can be extremely slow....

Advice to Senior ManagementExplore options with new clients and take risks in negotiating lower bids to secure more work. The company has the processes, mindset and attitude to do the work better than most competitors. This may translate into more opportunities for employees and help the bottom line.

Good pay for Montreal standards

Montreal, QC

I have been working at Bechtel full-time

ProsGood pay
Free coffee
Downtown
Donuts on Fridays
Cool IT people

ConsIT is chaos
No best practices
Lack of communication
Still don't understand what it takes to get promoted
Very corporate environment. Don't always expect a "hi" back or a "good morning".

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote people\give them responsibilities based on their skills, hard work and attitude.Not hard to figure that one out.

Bechtel Metals and Mining, Canada

Procurement (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than a year

ProsGood work environment. Friendly management.

ConsLegacy systems. Slow to change or evolve.

Bechtel no work/life balance but a great career

Cost Engineer (Current Employee)
Kitimat, BC

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTravelling, experience great teams on major projects

Consno work life balance, over work you

Boring and torturous

ESH Lead (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than 5 years

ProsOpportunities to travel and see the world, stable job with opportunities to save money if you are a graduate.

ConsAlmlost obsolete processes. Beaurocracy. Discrimination based on origin, nationality and gender. Top heavy and filled with self promoting managers unwilling to retire, leaving few opportunities for younger talent to rise to positions of authority and influence or effect much needed change. All the above combine to create a limiting and toxic environment. Ethics are paid lip service and otherwise tossed out the window. HR exists to serve management and save the company money by cutting benefits of the 'little people'. Some good managers do exist but they are a dime a dozen. Three out of five of my line managers have been slave driving sadists.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management should listen to ittle people. Cut through middle management and HR and set up channels whereby employees can give anonymous, objective feedback without fear of repercussions. The company needs to swallow the bitter pill and adapt in order to become a better place to work.

Nothing wrong with Bechtel.

Field Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bechtel

ProsThere are international opportunities and some very knowledgeable staff.

ConsJob locations are sometimes not too desirable. Organization structure is vertical like that of the military.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to increase international employee retirement plan.

Bechtel will move fast if you give your best

Training Coordinator (Current Employee)
Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for less than a year

ProsBechtel is a company that has the capability to move fast if leadership recognizes skill sets that will contribute to the long term future of the company. There are also many opportunities to move into other areas of interest if available and onto other units within the business.

ConsAs a relatively new starter with the business you may be left to your own devices to a large degree and you may need to actively seek consultation with leadership and peers to define and scope out your role.

Good company

Contracts Manager (Current Employee)
Santiago (Chile)

I have been working at Bechtel full-time for more than a year

ProsWell organized company, have more than 100 years of procedures.

Good ethics background.

Good for those ones who like to travel a lot. Every project is other city, country or continent.

Family can work in the same company (it is good when you work in projects).

ConsCompany organization, in despite that the money comes from the development of project, it is a vertical organization, where the living together between a project and a corporate organization is hard. It moves slowly and there is no bias to innovation.

As per the innovation is not one of their values, promotions are based on years on experience rather than results.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to rejuvenate the organization, nowadays experience is still a key factor but a bit of innovation in the technical and business areas are mandatory to survive.

I recommend to hire and keep into their lines well trained personnel, 100 years of experience is not enough, younger management personnel need to lead the next 100 years of the Company.

Compared to other Companies...

I have been working at Bechtel

ProsI've read so many negative reviews from other companies on glassdoor.com and it compelled me to write a gratuitous review on Bechtel.

I am young professional that has been in the "working world" since 2010. I don't know if Bechtel is where I want to be for the rest of my life, but what I do know is the position my life is in at this very moment is because of this company. I am able to pay my bills, travel, live comfortably, and be relatively stress free. I've received a yearly raise since I've worked here, multiple awards accompanied with gift cards up to $500 that you can use just about anywhere, I get every other Friday off, Flex-hours Monday - Friday, great people to work with, casual Fridays, relaxed work environment, and did I mention I receive a holiday bonus every year?

I was able to travel to Washington D.C. this year to go to a young professional’s conference. Everything was paid for by the company.

Not only that, but if ever I have an issue, I am able to talk to my supervisor without feeling intimated. I am able to take vacation time anytime I need it.

Do I have to work overtime some days? Yes. But not every week or everyday.

The company culture is that of a family. I can't speak for other departments, or units of Bechtel, but I am thankful, at my age, to be a part of a company that allows me to put my degree to excellent use as well as let me live my life.

ConsLike I said, I am not sure how far I can go with Bechtel, but for the time being I have no complaints. And if I did, it would only be with certain individuals and not the company itself.

Best company ever!

Manager (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Bechtel full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis company cares for its employees like none I have seen before. It's no wonder that most employees have been there since they entered the job market!

ConsNone I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Worked for Bechtel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bechtel reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bechtel CEO Riley P. Bechtel. All 293 reviews are posted anonymously by Bechtel employees.