Baxter

www.baxter.com

Baxter Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Baxter Chairman and CEO Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Pros
  • The company is flexible with your work/ life balance (in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary, flexibility is good but can be better (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of talk about "work/life balance" turns into a lot of *nothing* once you're in your job (in 17 reviews)

• Rinse and repeat and you'll make it to senior management in no time (in 16 reviews)

More Highlights

Good first experience

Engineer II (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsSome great and encouraging managers

ConsBad work-life balance, perks, and time-off policies

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate schedules that are not so imbalanced for newcomers

Good intentions, but ongoing org changes and misaligned incentives

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL (US)

ProsGreat mission in helping critically ill patients; high caliber colleagues; can be challenged and learn a lot and take on high responsibility despite title; ample training programs

ConsHigh responsibility, but compensation does not reflect that. Work-life balance tough to have. Ongoing org changes equate to continuous changes in leadership, therefore accountability in poor business decisions are not always tied to the appropriate parties (i.e. short term political decisions outweigh better long term business decisions)

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are unable to pay more (which is understandable given the changing economics of the healthcare industry and the company profitability), then you need to stop increasing work-load and responsibilities. Also, continue to communicate with teams rather than allowing the gossip chain relay news to team members of upcoming org changes.

Good Experience. Great learning opportunities. Not so great as far as work-life balance.

R&D Engineer (Former Employee) Round Lake Beach, IL (US)

ProsDepending on what project you are working on, you might get a chance to interact with a lot of different functions and gain great experience.

ConsNavigating the hierarchical structure might be challenging. This will of course depend on the team and who the management resources are.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep good resources that you have, as opposed to let them go.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Decent place to work but underpays technology specialist

ProsEasy environment, low stress, nice people

ConsSalary, Management communication, promises we're not met for hiring

Friendly working environment, but below market rate remuneration package

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsFriendly working environment, colleagues easy to work with, plenty of opportunity to learn

ConsRemuneration package way below market rate, management has no power to create meaningful changes to the overall package, no quality standards in work culture

Human Resources Driven Company

Senior Department Specialist (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL (US)

ProsGood benefits package. There are good people working there in the departments.

ConsCompany doesn't promote from within. The better worker you are the more they pile on you. Human Resources runs the company and decides who stays and goes based on budget with the departments having little say.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there were better people in Human Resources who understand how the business units work then maybe the management could be better.

Bad HR

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGood development opportunities.
    Nice people.
    MBA tuition

ConsHR, politics
    Too many "improvement" programs that nobody really care about

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote internally first, instead of hiring from outside

Quality intern

ProsThe company is very diverse. age wise and ethnic wise There were a lot of young people where i interned. The people were very nice. I am very thankful for this experience, it aught me that i don't want to work in quality in pharma because it is so rigid because of the standard work needed to keep up with regulations. They really stress their mission, to save and sustain lives. They are big on volunteerism. I would say they have a good work-life balance.

ConsThey kind of taught me only one thing and stuck me with that for the rest of the internship. Being apart of manufacturing it can be very busy and fast paced, so i guess i can understand why i couldn't learn anything else. So day in and day out if was a very standard work especially because it was pharma.

Sr Engineer

Senior Engineer (Current Employee) Daytona Beach, FL (US)

ProsVery nice, friendly working environment. no work pressures

ConsSo many acquires, and some upper mgmt giving hard time to employees, underpaid

Advice to Senior Managementalways be in touch with local employees, and pay right $ to right employees, they are underpaid. Nobody happy about this

No standards for anything

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSince there are no standardized processes, you can create your own and learn a lot. People in general are very helpful. You can get a third week of vacation from the start just by asking for it.

ConsIf you work for a micro-manager, who wants you to read their mind every day, you are in trouble. No standards make your life very difficult. Overtime is expected. Salary increase is a joke. Insurance policy is self-funded, so stay healthy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees. Remember, they work hard. If you see that they ar ein the office sick, send them home, don't make them suffer through the day full of meetings.

Worked for Baxter? Contribute to the Community!