Baxter

Baxter Reviews

Updated 20 November, 2014
Updated 20 November, 2014
3.3

Baxter Chairman and CEO Robert L. Parkinson Jr.
Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Pros
  • The company is flexible with your work/ life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary, flexibility is good but can be better (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Reluctant to change with the times (technology), work life balance is a struggle (in 23 reviews)

• upper management does not grasp the daily struggles that the frontline representatives go through (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

It was very pleasurable.

Current Employee - Research Associate II in Vienna (Austria)
    Current Employee - Research Associate II in Vienna (Austria)

I have been working at Baxter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great environment, and amazing community culture. I definitely recommend. It would be a great decision to work here. Really nice benefits and such.

Cons

The company has a tendency at times to engage in a manner that results in such a state in which the matter of affairs as they continue to develop due is in a way that is extra conservative and takes a long time to get anything done.

Sad decline of a once great company.

Current Employee - Quality Lab Associate II
    Current Employee - Quality Lab Associate II

I have been working at Baxter full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefit package offered is good.

Cons

No communication from Management. Quality is suffering, what matters is cutting staff,overworking employees, and treating employees like numbers. The company used to be a great place to work where contributions were recognized and employees valued. The company is having big regulatory issues because of the drive to increase profits and minimize staff. Work/life balance doesn't exist. Culture of do what we want, when we want, with no regard for product quality. Personnel who don't adhere to this philosophy are constantly intimidated by management. My facility is bleeding experienced talent because of these tactics. Most of us who have been with the company over 10 years have either retired, resigned, or are looking for other employment.

Stop treating your employees with such disregard. Stop the bully mentality. You're loosing such a tremendous amount of talent each year because of this. Replacing us with new grads is not the answer as it can take 2-5 years for new employees to understand our complex systems and regulatory environment.

Low pay. Expensive Benefits. Old products, low profit margins, lots of bureaucracy

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Deerfield, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Deerfield, IL (US)

I have been working at Baxter full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is not universal throughout the company, but some people get to work from home on fridays.

Great place to work if you went to Devry,U Phoenix, Columbia College, Eastern Illinois, Northeastern IL, McHenry Community College, etc. Not a great place if you went to a Big Ten school or other more prestigious university (i.e. Ivy League, Duke, Pac12, Georgetown, UChicago, Rice, etc.). You are better off working elsewhere.

Cons

Pay is terrible, and all of the benefits offered are very expensive. For example, I have one of the lowest quality healthcare plans which requires that I pay $200 out of my pocket each time I see the doctor; yet the net amount of money deposited into my bank account is half of what I earned (i.e. if I make $2000 in two weeks, I have $1000 deposited into my checking account); this just shows how expensive even the low quality "benefits" really are.

Company does a terrible job of promoting from within. Promotion process is slow as molasses and it causes people to become arrogant for being 1 level higher than you. If you really want to move up within the firm, take a lateral move to Hospira (or other rival firm) for a 25% pay bump, stay there for 12-18 months, then reapply to Baxter at a position 1-2 levels higher than where you were and receive another 20% pay bump. Or, quit your job to start your own consulting firm; Baxter will hire you to do the same job that you did previously, and they will pay you over twice as much.

My mentors (Director & VP level) have all told me to quit Baxter because it is terrible at career development. Go to work at Baxter if you're looking to retire and not have to worry about acquiring additional skills. We had Windows XP on our computers up until the point that Microsoft announced a discontinuation of support on Windows XP. Many people who come to Baxter from other firms need to re-learn how to use older versions of software.

Baxter is not a prestigious of a firm. Somehow we still sucker people from good schools like Northwestern to accept a job here (these people at NU must be dumb or desperate to fall for that trick).

Hire more consultants... you guys are idiots.

Stop talking about how women get unequal pay to men. If this truly is an issue at Baxter, then why don't you do something about it? Hypocritical bastards. Don't waste our time giving a speech about this topic if we aren't the ones who offered a woman inferior pay. If you offered a women inferior pay because of her gender then fix it!

You claim to champion of inclusion and diversity, but your campaigns exclude many demographics. Very ironic how you claim to get all views but your groups exclude many obvious demographics.

Bob Parkinson - start looking for another job, or start making retirement plans. You'll be on your way out within 12 months after Bioscience spins off into a separate company.

Not a bad place to work if you like below average salary and management who rule with intimidation

I worked at Baxter full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People that I work with, good teamwork. Most groups get along with each other and most of them work hard to achieve common goals.

Cons

No work/life balance and the salary is below industry average. The company push for cycle time without understanding of impact onquality. Senior management who are in charge lack understanding of people and are clueless about issues on the floor. Management use the "walk out" method to intimidate current employees. People who are promoted are yes man not necessarily the most competent people as the promotion process is inconsistent and biased.

Get rid of current senior management, especially ones that use verbal intimidation and "walk out" method as a tool of control. Replace current senior management with managers who cares about employees and believe in building quality into products

Quality intern

Former Employee - Quality Intern in Round Lake, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Intern in Round Lake, IL (US)

I worked at Baxter full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Diverse groups of people.
    Nice people.

Cons

over worked and underpaid in manufacturing environment.
    Takes a while to move up the ranks.
    They stick the intern on tasks no one wants to do but are necessary to keep the plant going.

Reliable company

Current Employee - Quality Associate in Deerfield, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Associate in Deerfield, IL (US)

I have been working at Baxter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-good job security
    -good benefits
    -great brand recognition

Cons

-chances for advancement are not good
    -work can be too simple
    -working schedules are not flexible enough

there needs to be more career development

inside sales

I have been working at Baxter

Pros

good pay, not the most challenging position

Cons

no growth potential, not a lot of respect

Provide more opportunities

Some things were ok, others could be better...

Former Employee - Marketing in Deerfield, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing in Deerfield, IL (US)

I worked at Baxter full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Global company that offers an opportunity to work with a diverse group of individuals. Lots of opportunities to learn new skills or participate on project teams.

Cons

Opportunities for growth or advancement were often limited by short-sighted leaders who either believed the exact experiences or career paths they had in their career were required of their subordinates. Additionally, saw a lot of "nepotism" type behavior in leaders who only advanced their "favorites" (regardless of those individual's actual capabilities).

The goal should always be to "train your replacement" so you can move up. Often, leaders were so concerned with their own advancement that they forgot to look out for those beneath them. Be an advocate for your people. Help them grow and give them opportunities to shine, it makes you a better, stronger leader.

A lot of work. Which means a lot of opportunities for some. However its difficult to maintain a high level of quality.

Current Employee - Quality Associate I in Hayward, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Associate I in Hayward, CA (US)

I have been working at Baxter full-time (more than an year)

Pros

create versatility on your resume

Cons

High workload. Culture is nonexistent.

Overworked and understaffed

Long term employee

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Baxter full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Global company with dedicated employees

Cons

Communication. Priorities. Silo mentality. Numerous processes to get a task completed

Employees have generally been unhappy. They need to really pay attention to the present culture and it's cultivation of negativity.