Baxter

www.baxter.com

Baxter Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Baxter Chairman and CEO Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Robert L. Parkinson Jr.

Pros
  • The company is flexible with your work/ life balance(in 23 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary, flexibility is good but can be better(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • A lot of talk about "work/life balance" turns into a lot of *nothing* once you're in your job(in 16 reviews)

• Rinse and repeat and you'll make it to senior management in no time(in 16 reviews)

Good intentions, but ongoing org changes and misaligned incentives

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL (US)

ProsGreat mission in helping critically ill patients; high caliber colleagues; can be challenged and learn a lot and take on high responsibility despite title; ample training programs

ConsHigh responsibility, but compensation does not reflect that. Work-life balance tough to have. Ongoing org changes equate to continuous changes in leadership, therefore accountability in poor business decisions are not always tied to the appropriate parties (i.e. short term political decisions outweigh better long term business decisions)

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are unable to pay more (which is understandable given the changing economics of the healthcare industry and the company profitability), then you need to stop increasing work-load and responsibilities. Also, continue to communicate with teams rather than allowing the gossip chain relay news to team members of upcoming org changes.

Decent place to work but underpays technology specialist

ProsEasy environment, low stress, nice people

ConsSalary, Management communication, promises we're not met for hiring

Friendly working environment, but below market rate remuneration package

Manufacturing Engineer (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsFriendly working environment, colleagues easy to work with, plenty of opportunity to learn

ConsRemuneration package way below market rate, management has no power to create meaningful changes to the overall package, no quality standards in work culture

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Human Resources Driven Company

Senior Department Specialist (Former Employee) Deerfield, IL (US)

ProsGood benefits package. There are good people working there in the departments.

ConsCompany doesn't promote from within. The better worker you are the more they pile on you. Human Resources runs the company and decides who stays and goes based on budget with the departments having little say.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf there were better people in Human Resources who understand how the business units work then maybe the management could be better.

Bad HR

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGood development opportunities.
    Nice people.
    MBA tuition

ConsHR, politics
    Too many "improvement" programs that nobody really care about

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote internally first, instead of hiring from outside

Always something new to learn

Senior Marketing Communications (Current Employee) Deerfield, IL (US)

ProsWith Baxter you get to see the difference you make in patient's lives through knowledge based training.

ConsJob descriptions can be very generic. Benefits could always be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture typically depends on the group you work with. Opportunities for advancement are very possible as long as you have a degree.

Quality intern

ProsThe company is very diverse. age wise and ethnic wise There were a lot of young people where i interned. The people were very nice. I am very thankful for this experience, it aught me that i don't want to work in quality in pharma because it is so rigid because of the standard work needed to keep up with regulations. They really stress their mission, to save and sustain lives. They are big on volunteerism. I would say they have a good work-life balance.

ConsThey kind of taught me only one thing and stuck me with that for the rest of the internship. Being apart of manufacturing it can be very busy and fast paced, so i guess i can understand why i couldn't learn anything else. So day in and day out if was a very standard work especially because it was pharma.

No standards for anything

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsSince there are no standardized processes, you can create your own and learn a lot. People in general are very helpful. You can get a third week of vacation from the start just by asking for it.

ConsIf you work for a micro-manager, who wants you to read their mind every day, you are in trouble. No standards make your life very difficult. Overtime is expected. Salary increase is a joke. Insurance policy is self-funded, so stay healthy.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your employees. Remember, they work hard. If you see that they ar ein the office sick, send them home, don't make them suffer through the day full of meetings.

Fantastic Company

Procurement II (Former Employee) Seattle, WA (US)

ProsGood place to work diversity practices account for success

Consnone that I can think of

Poor treatment of temp workers

Quality Assurance Specialist (Former Employee) Cherry Hill, NJ (US)

ProsOverall good pay, good people.

ConsTreatment of temporary employees was mediocre. Co workers not very helpful. Too much attitude and gossip.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop allowing senior QA Specialists to waste time, lie and throw all the work on the res of the QA staff.

Worked for Baxter? Contribute to the Community!