Barclays

Updated 28 January, 2015
Updated 28 January, 2015

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins
Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance (in 60 reviews)

• Work environment is average, it's comparable to other large banks (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • We had to do overtime everyday so work/life balance was no so good (in 20 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall a good company to work for

Current Employee - Contractor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Contractor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Repeat contracts during my time at Barclays

Cons

A large turnover of staff during my time at Barclays

Investment Bank would like to see the return of Bob Diamond or an Investment Banker at the head

Good training

Former Employee - Summer Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Summer Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at Barclays as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Strong values, above standard training, friendly co-workers

Cons

canteen can sometimes be expensive

Assimilate interns to teams aligned with their skills and interests and not just to available teams

A respectful organization

I worked at Barclays full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Barclays provides you with a complete mix of experience, whether on the personal level or the technical one. What hou get from working there is far beyond your monthly salary and benefits.

Cons

Barclays is a very competitive environment, you be good, you get rewarded, you slow down, you miss the train. Some of their 3rd world countries branches might be suffering a bit from the lack of proper and fair management.

Keep an insider eye on your branches around the globe, sometimes general reports don't reveal the real hidden problems.

Rubbish

Current Employee - Customer Services Officer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Services Officer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

No Pros at all as everything is Cons

Cons

Everything is Cons and no pros at all

Look out for some other jobs as Barclays' ship is sinking.

AVP - Middleware Specialist

Current Employee - Middleware Specialist in Knutsford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Middleware Specialist in Knutsford, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A competitive pay and very good benefits. I often get positive feedback from colleagues and customers, they acknowledge your skills and experience. Internal jobs available in case you get bored in your current role. I want to highlight the benefits, these are really good, lots of great benefits, support and employee discount.

Cons

There is a PD-game every year; just recently noticed management does not really care about what you achieve if they already decided your grade. This is not a great motivation. Same applies for carrier development. If you are looking for a relaxing job, you can get into a very stressing one where always there is a pressure on you to deliver service without any mistake. Making processes even more complicated and our (technical staff) life more difficult in the BAU work.

In Cons

Senior analyst

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

Great reputation and global company

Cons

Long working hour no other cons

Consultant

Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Consultant in London, England (UK)

I worked at Barclays as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent work environment. Both challenging and rewarding. Best of breed with technology and talent.

Cons

Somewhat uppidy up and the IT often must interrelate with at least 3-4 different time zones. It can be combersome to coordinate Chicago - London - Singapore meetings.

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Barclays full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Compensatation....
    Work Life Balance....
    Remote Working...

Cons

Stability Issue..... Strategy changes frequently!!!

Low Morale, Very below average meritocracy

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

Great work life balance and easy environment.

Cons

Unintelligent people, many without university degrees. No interest in financial markets, no ambition to grow. Lots of politics.

Work on talent retention, upskill graduates instead of rusting them and their careers. Get rid of 10-3pm, lazy, unintelligent, unamibitious, unenthusiastic oldies....please.....they are probably the biggest drag on your equity. take employee opinion seriously!

Barclays Woolwich Branch Work/Life ratio and working environment.

Current Employee - Moment Banker in Ashford, Kent, South East England, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays

Pros

Only reason I chose to work for with them was as it was easy to get job with them and the transport commuting is easy as it is near a station and bus. Also parkiing permit given.

Cons

Managements spying on staff to the extent that they will come into the TOILET to tell you to hurry up as the customer queue is getting big!!! Even when ones just gone in, is this not bullying in the work place?. Management has a habit of picking on selected certain staff also. When it comes to emergency childcare management tells staff "get your finances in order so that you can afford a proper child career or get a bigger mortgage from Barclays to help you. Others get away with more than simple wrong doings and attitudes. When a complaint is made about this the management hide their favourites by making statements similar to "each person is dealt with on individual circumstances", "confidentiality" or "they will be spoken to". They still continue to do the wrongs. Management get transfers as "They find it too busy a branch from my old one....I can't take this." Other staff can't get transfers as "there's too much going on" as being the answer. Well if they find things "too much going on" then they are not worthy of being managers. Managers stick up for each other even when they are wrong. When challenged to many things the reply is "It's down to managers discretion", this even applies to getting time off for child sickness and doctors appointments etc.. Even cash differance are taken likely when made by certain staff and management come down hard on others who don't even make often or great value errors- favouritism. This is then paraded between themselves as an example setter...just to get marks and say "I have done my jobs" but they have done more wrong by NOT doing their job where it counts, both to company and colleagues. Customers are persuaded to take insurance and package account even when it is obviously not suitable for them. Management encourage this for the income for the branch.
    No work life understanding by management, they just want to look at company. There attitude an behaviour is having a negative effect on staff and moral and also work productivity.

Open your eyes and be fair to all.

Barclays Photos