Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

Worst management

Event Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIf you are a consultant, great place to work

ConsTerrible management. Unrealistic expectations for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementOf you rate employees on expectations, management should live up to those expectations themselves

A truly awful culture; political, blame, "jobs for the boys/girls" - avoid at all costs

Director, Operations (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsMoney - they have to pay high end to get anyone to work there
    Benefits - the pension, insurance and stock options are pretty good
    mmmm that's it

ConsSenior Management know they are fighting a losing cause so surround themselves with "yes" people and pull up the drawbridge.
    Presentee-ism culture - and backward looking - they block the use of Social media in this day and age!!!
    Execution driven and cant stick to a plan, strategy...analysis and forward thinking are non existent
    Huge distrust between Management and middle ranks
    There own self defined definition of "Talent" is "The top 200" or "SLG" - nothing else matters and forget the notion of talent rising through the ranks - they just buy in at the top. Even supported by what is well known to be the worst HR Management in FTSE.
    CEO is slowly smothering the cash cow Investment Bank rather that re-structure the company properly.
    The "culture change" programme has been a flop - C suite think by "sheep dipping" 100,000 employees through a 2 hour culture session it will change the company's culture!!!
    Have a look at the Salz Review and see how Barclays has missed nearly every target set for sustainable change

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a vision that isn't just about appeasing regulators and stick to it!
    Value and understand your people - you just don't and the current HR are incapable of this.
    Change your HRLT; they are a laughing stock in the City and climbing over each other to curry favour with C suite rather than attract, retain, develop and reward Talent.

Overall review

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsContinuous work opportunity and no downtime

ConsNo job rotation opportunity
    Need improvement in work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementOrg. keep changing sr. management and reshuffling of groups which may not be good from technology work streams.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technology Analyst

Analyst, Information Technology (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsNice work-life balance.
    Definite opportunity for growth.
    Exposure to wide array of technologies.

ConsNot very tech-oriented.
    Management is set in their ways.
    Scope for innovation in technology is limited.

Okay to be in

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsCompensation & Benefits, Work/Life Balance

ConsCareer Opportunities and Culture & Values

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer Opportunities should taken care

Not typical IB bank

ProsWork life balance
    Relatively reasonable work hours as compared to other IB banks

ConsToo big
    Does not pay
    Used to promote, now the policy changed. No promotions anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many policy changes from manageement

The highs were great but the lows were dreadful.

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Redhill, South East England, England (UK)

ProsThe people I worked with were great, we had fantastic laughs, and supported each other through the tough times both personal and business related.
    If you wanted to move your career forward there were many opportunities, however you 'face had to fit' a lot of the time.

ConsThe demands that were put on you were often unrealistic. The focus on sales rather than service was the biggest problem. You often felt like middle and high level management had no idea what it was like to actually work in a branch and speak to real customers.
    While they went through the motions when there were people with health issues they were in fact very unaccommodating when it came down to actually helping people with disabilities (in my personal experience).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on taking care of your staff, happy staff with work harder for you to provide happy customers. Try actually working in a branch and meeting the customers that we deal with day in and day out for you.

Very political, moral is in the dumps

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsLarge investment bank
    Looks good on the resume
    Good place to start
    Work/life balance

ConsVery political
    Moral is rough
    Hard to see your value (HUGE company)

Advice to Senior ManagementLess internal marketing/videos
    Less of a political environment

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsChallenging work, intelligent colleagues, great benefits

ConsOutdated technology, limited developer control, unstable management and business units

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm obviously biased, but I think the banks should shift some of their focus away from traditional business units and look to excel technically. They risk losing talent otherwise.

Not what it was!

Various (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWell it's a job but nothing like it was even 20 years ago. I left an organisation which I'd worked for for 35 years felling relieved to be out of it.

ConsThe bank still maintains a target driven culture that inadvertently encourages bad behaviours across the board. "Bonuses" at the branch / call centre level are unreliable and frankly subjective.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your older long serving staff. Ask them how the bank used to run for the benefit of customers, shareholders and staff.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!