Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

Ok when Bob D used to run things. It has fallen apart after his departure.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood internal mobility
    Good international mobility

ConsTerrible pay
    People paying too much attention to how long you've been away from your desk

Advice to Senior ManagementLess of the "values" and "go-to bank", more about how to make money

Ehhhh.

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsMost of the people I have met are very helpful. Great health benefits, 401k match.

ConsPromotion process is unclear and completely different depending on the area of the bank you work in. There are seemingly people with titles who shouldn't have them as they don't do anything, or know what you would expect them to know for having that title. Executive management does not appear to have a pulse on all the negative sentiment that exists internally. Not a fun place to work. Direct mgmt seemingly doesn't care about it's staff. It's not a growing company, it's a shrinking one. No raises for years. Seemingly impossible to get an interview internally without knowing someone. HR is the worst. They are slow to respond: to queries, job submissions, etc. completely unhelpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a complete overhaul. All the money spent paying McKinnsey for the review has seemingly been wasted for the moment.

Overall review

Senior Manager (Current Employee) Pune (India)

ProsContinuous work opportunity and no downtime

ConsNo job rotation opportunity
    Need improvement in work environment

Advice to Senior ManagementOrg. keep changing sr. management and reshuffling of groups which may not be good from technology work streams.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Technology Analyst

Analyst, Information Technology (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsNice work-life balance.
    Definite opportunity for growth.
    Exposure to wide array of technologies.

ConsNot very tech-oriented.
    Management is set in their ways.
    Scope for innovation in technology is limited.

Okay to be in

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsCompensation & Benefits, Work/Life Balance

ConsCareer Opportunities and Culture & Values

Advice to Senior ManagementCareer Opportunities should taken care

Not typical IB bank

ProsWork life balance
    Relatively reasonable work hours as compared to other IB banks

ConsToo big
    Does not pay
    Used to promote, now the policy changed. No promotions anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many policy changes from manageement

Software Engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsChallenging work, intelligent colleagues, great benefits

ConsOutdated technology, limited developer control, unstable management and business units

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm obviously biased, but I think the banks should shift some of their focus away from traditional business units and look to excel technically. They risk losing talent otherwise.

The highs were great but the lows were dreadful.

Branch Manager (Former Employee) Redhill, South East England, England (UK)

ProsThe people I worked with were great, we had fantastic laughs, and supported each other through the tough times both personal and business related.
    If you wanted to move your career forward there were many opportunities, however you 'face had to fit' a lot of the time.

ConsThe demands that were put on you were often unrealistic. The focus on sales rather than service was the biggest problem. You often felt like middle and high level management had no idea what it was like to actually work in a branch and speak to real customers.
    While they went through the motions when there were people with health issues they were in fact very unaccommodating when it came down to actually helping people with disabilities (in my personal experience).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on taking care of your staff, happy staff with work harder for you to provide happy customers. Try actually working in a branch and meeting the customers that we deal with day in and day out for you.

Very political, moral is in the dumps

Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsLarge investment bank
    Looks good on the resume
    Good place to start
    Work/life balance

ConsVery political
    Moral is rough
    Hard to see your value (HUGE company)

Advice to Senior ManagementLess internal marketing/videos
    Less of a political environment

Not what it was!

Various (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWell it's a job but nothing like it was even 20 years ago. I left an organisation which I'd worked for for 35 years felling relieved to be out of it.

ConsThe bank still maintains a target driven culture that inadvertently encourages bad behaviours across the board. "Bonuses" at the branch / call centre level are unreliable and frankly subjective.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your older long serving staff. Ask them how the bank used to run for the benefit of customers, shareholders and staff.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!