Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros:
  • "Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Work from home (Looks like pros but in reality it is con :)"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "the work environment is not supportive and very stressful, no work life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "senior management tend to lack experience in the department they manage"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than a year

ProsLess demanding and Generous leave policy (30 annual leaves + sick leave). People agenda, Recommend for people looking for retired lifestyle

ConsLow on values and talent. Lack of responsibility flows from the top. Projects get delayed every time and no one is responsible. Slow paced. Frequent changes at management level which reflects in regular changes to vision and strategy. This is not the place for ambitious people it could be very frustrating. Terrible work culture and no openness to learn from other banks. Too much importance for people agenda

Advice to Senior ManagementTake initiative, have clear vision and strategy, lead from the front, recognize talent and give importance to genuine contribution, veterans suck

On-going redundancies at Barclays seriously affecting morale

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople at the firm are generally cooperative and helpful.

ConsNo job security due to current focus on cutting costs and shifting staff headcounts to offshore centers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to better manage budgets and costs without excessive job cuts. Offshoring has its limits will directly affect the company's reputation and overall competitiveness.

A horrendous place to work, both professionally and personally

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

Pros[Depending on your role] you can be reasonably well-paid (caveat: if your management chain wants you to be - see cons)

Cons1. Total absence of senior-level leadership, none.
2. Seemingly no collaboration between senior managers - often blatant hostility. As a result more junior team members have to force cooperation and results from other teams without senior management buy-in and often will be openly blocked.
3. The culture at Barclays is driven by job retention, earnings, and fear of exposure among the senior executives, meaning that cronyism, patronage, and bias is rampant.
4. Ability, impact, and quality of work is irrelevant. All that matters is how your management decides your face fits during the notorious consistency meetings.
5. If your face doesn't fit you can expect to be managed out (by lack of patronage, zero career development support, slashed bonus).
6. Bullying is pandemic and brutal - and can be shockingly open. Instances of whistleblowing being openly discouraged and warned against by senior managers. HR not trusted.
7. Staff dissatisfaction and turnover is massive - everyone in my team, and many others who I worked closely with, were looking for jobs elsewhere all the time. We celebrated those who succeeded.
8. Air of total depression among middle management (B5-B7).
9. Everyone acknowledges the total stagnation which has come about through the impenetrable defensiveness and politics within the business - so many good ideas and beneficial strategic decisions are blocked due to senior politics and personalities, along with constant 'playing with the numbers' to twist reports to meet the desired conclusion, even if factually untrue.

Advice to Senior Management1. Lead. Do some work - actually engage with each other professionally, agree on strategic issues and create conditions where your respective teams can then collaborate and execute, without having to spend months arguing over what each other's managers want.
2. Have a look at the cons and decide firstly whether you think they can be fixed - then whether you want them fixed.

Pathetic!!!!

I have been working at Barclays

ProsNo pros at all. You will learn how to survive thats it.

ConsNo vision. Management doesnt value talent. They are all self centered with no appreciation for humans. Its only about cost.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome human!

Poor management

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than a year

Proswork from home capability... when you're sick

Consmanagement, hours, pay, terrible bonus

Decent work place but not a pay master

Vice President (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFlexible working hours. Able to manage work from home very regularly. Good pay which may be in line with companies like Citi or Morgan.

ConsSenior management is not too strong. You don't get too much paid even if you work 15 hours a day. Simply they will add 7 to 10k bonus more for your extra efforts. so its not really worth to spend too much of time for less than 1000$ amount every month perhaps do what you can in your 8 hours. Very conservative management and company is not a pay master but you will get good pay but not too good or excellent pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementSr management should treat hard working staff properly not with extra 5k more bonus.

Typical investment bank.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
Pune (India)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAlways will have work on hand (at least in groups I know). As long as you work hard and keep things in control no one will touch you.

ConsCan be hectic. Depends on type of work but usually required to put long hours based on type of job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep good control on compliance issues.

Good place but unchallenging work

Technology Intern (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Barclays as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe work place is intense, dynamic and with approachable colleagues. With main offices in Canary Wharf there is a brilliant area for lunch as well as nights out.

Consalthough proclaimed as a company with flat structure it is one of the most corporate bureaucracy overloaded places I have ever seen. Response times from management are slow, review processes are just a copy-paste procedures from the other banks in the industry.

I have been working here for the past 4 years

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)
Wilmington, DE (US)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrowing company - part of global bank; salaries high with respect to peers; good work life balance

Conscareer advancement opportunities limited - stagnation at middle management level (AVP)

Advice to Senior Managementgive adequate opportunities for employee career advancement;try to look beyond one-partner dependencies (organic growth, M&A etc.)

A good bank still struggling to sort itself out

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Barclays

Pros-Very good employee benefits - healthcare, discount programs, pay, time off
-The firm gives its employees the resources they need to succeed. There learning management system and career education resources are helpful.

Cons-There's a lot of bureaucracy. Trying to fix a simple IT issue takes a lot of calls and waiting to get in touch with someone that can actually help. Managing projects across the firm is tough...there's a big disconnect between London and New York.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Barclays CEO Antony Jenkins. All 427 reviews are posted anonymously by Barclays employees.