Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

Good Employer

Vice President (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood experienced staff, reasonable focus on L&D and excellent share incentive scheme for the employees.

ConsA bit old school, people in same roles for a number of years - lacks innovations.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more brave and less bureaucratic - There are more directors and MD's than required. Can easily do with loosing at least 20% of the work force in the back ops.

Although I had a rocky start, overall a good company to work for with good values and ethics

Cashier (Former Employee) Harlow, England (UK)

ProsThe possibility of career progression, good training systems and good benefits. Majority of people I worked with were friendly, helpful and supportive.

ConsFrequent branch moves, no progression for me although I passed a personal banker assessment. Uncertainty of job security due to job cuts moving into self service branches etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow assessments to happen if they're aren't specific job roles to move into, or lengthen the timescale to find a specific job after passing an assessment.

Respect the person and not the job role

Analyst, Information Technology (Current Employee) Knutsford, England (UK)

ProsWorking with a global workforce
    Potential for training
    Potential for progression
    Lots to learn

ConsToo much politics
    Issues (widespread) take too long to get resolved due to the amount of teams normally needed to be involved.
    Unable to accommodate flexible working
    Inconsistent following of policies
    Get fobbed off when you actually have an issue
    Inability to commit to long term plans.
    Very over managed within the role
    Push back on following processes correctly.
    Too much to learn about - makes it difficult to easily share knowledge in team and external to team

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that a colleague doesn't need to be subjected to

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awful, do not come here

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsMoney is good, Canary Wharf is pleasant, there are some good individuals

ConsThe worst kind of investment bankers, especially in IT... Team work is unheard of

Advice to Senior ManagementShut down... The place is toxic

Absolutely terrible

Customer Advisor (Former Employee) Middlesbrough, England (UK)

ProsIt's nice to say you work for a top bank

ConsThey almost seem to target Managers for sacking people. Terrible environment. Charge people for a cup of tea. No flexibility regarding sickness - 3 strikes and you're out. Use of poor recruitment agencies, so people coming onboard were useless.... where should I end this list - I could keep going for hours?

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Firstsource - your customers are your income stream, and they are mismanaging their accounts. Your Managers leave confidential documents lying around the building. Your employees live under constant threat of redundancy.

A great experience and enjoyed the team and technical work environment.

ETL Backend Tester (Current Employee) Wilmington, DE (US)

ProsGot well together, amazing infrastructure and amazing team support. Flexibility in timings. Wonderful learning experience. Great platform to exhibit self ingrained skills.

Conssome challenges i have encountered here is I took a little of time for me to first catch hold of the financial sector and its intricacies.

Corporate Relationship Manager

ProsGreat support and work environment
    Great corporate mentality and ethics

ConsLimited progression opportunities
    can be overlooked in favour of graduate newcomers

awesome

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosamazing place to work, fun environment

Consnone that i could possibly thing of

The worst experience I have ever had in my life

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Liverpool, England (UK)

ProsThe paid me on time and sometimes early if it was a weekend but the staff incentives for having accounts had been lowered over the years.

ConsBullying managers at branch level.I almost had a breakdown due to the pressure put on me.Targets and profits is all they are interested in.Even when it was raised as high as I could go nothing changed.I met some great people who had suffered at the hand of this this "go to bank."variation management" is another word for measuring your sales targets. The new moral high ground which was supposed to change the whole bank has not changed a thing.My friends who still work there are the people I feel really bad for.

Advice to Senior ManagementCall sales targets what they are, consider rooting out the bad sales type mangers who have little or no management skills other then threatening to put you on an improvement plan if you don't sell more, Treat your staff better and the staff would be more productive.There is an underlying culture of fear and the behinds the scenes back patting is evident to everybody who works there.You tend to hire people based on who you like and the politics involved.The new moral code you have will be useless if you don't root out the large percentage of the management who seek to protect themselves.

Worst management

Event Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIf you are a consultant, great place to work

ConsTerrible management. Unrealistic expectations for employees

Advice to Senior ManagementOf you rate employees on expectations, management should live up to those expectations themselves

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!