Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Apr 05, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros:
  • "Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance"
    in 38 reviews
  • "Work from home (Looks like pros but in reality it is con :)"
    in 10 reviews
Cons:
  • "the work environment is not supportive and very stressful, no work life balance"
    in 12 reviews
  • "senior management tend to lack experience in the department they manage"
    in 19 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Pathetic

Collector (Current Employee)
Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Barclays part-time for less than a year

ProsSome great people.
Good pay initially but limited opportunities for bonus.
Some excellent managers and colleagues, overshadowed by incompetence elsewhere.

ConsDisorganised, disintegrated, disempowered...
Treated as just another payroll number.
Supposedly cost-conscious but hugely wasteful organisation.
Continual communication about 'business change, values' etc with lack of input and ownership by all levels of management.
Top down approach results in demotivated colleagues.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on getting the basics right.

Initially it was excellent but you soon realise you are just a number and their 'values' count for nothing. T

Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people in the Branches and they really want to help customers. They are trying hard under extremely difficult circumstances. They are being replaced by machine's and having to work harder each day. It was a great environment but slowly that is eroding.

ConsSenior Management have no concern for the actual people and they think they can do whatever they like. They consistently want staff to work longer and longer under extreme circumstances. Retail Banking is a dying industry and Branches will be closing even though they have denied it to the media.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to really look at your 'Values' and decide whether you are living by them. To often if you have an option they definitely goes against you. You need to a be a 'yes' person and do as you are told.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than a year

ProsLess demanding and Generous leave policy (30 annual leaves + sick leave). People agenda, Recommend for people looking for retired lifestyle

ConsLow on values and talent. Lack of responsibility flows from the top. Projects get delayed every time and no one is responsible. Slow paced. Frequent changes at management level which reflects in regular changes to vision and strategy. This is not the place for ambitious people it could be very frustrating. Terrible work culture and no openness to learn from other banks. Too much importance for people agenda

Advice to Senior ManagementTake initiative, have clear vision and strategy, lead from the front, recognize talent and give importance to genuine contribution, veterans suck

Too big too fast

Assistant Vice President (Current Employee)
Jersey City, NJ (US)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSome good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance

ConsToo many systems and the compensation system is flawed

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the incompetent. Pay your good people

On-going redundancies at Barclays seriously affecting morale

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople at the firm are generally cooperative and helpful.

ConsNo job security due to current focus on cutting costs and shifting staff headcounts to offshore centers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to better manage budgets and costs without excessive job cuts. Offshoring has its limits will directly affect the company's reputation and overall competitiveness.

Political Jungle a bank which is doing well and will improve its performance as strong long term strategy in place

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood solid bank, numerous business areas to work in (if you get the chance), people especially at junior levels friendly, most managers are positive (mid level), International reputation,

ConsVirtually impossible to move across business areas e.g. business to wealth etc, salary bands very unclear, face needs to fit to progress, cost saving tends to massively impact low to mid level grades and very rarely touches senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementLive the values rather than hiding behind them

Typical investment bank.

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)
Pune (India)

I worked at Barclays full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAlways will have work on hand (at least in groups I know). As long as you work hard and keep things in control no one will touch you.

ConsCan be hectic. Depends on type of work but usually required to put long hours based on type of job.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to keep good control on compliance issues.

Good place but unchallenging work

Technology Intern (Former Employee)
London, England (UK)

I worked at Barclays as an intern for less than a year

ProsThe work place is intense, dynamic and with approachable colleagues. With main offices in Canary Wharf there is a brilliant area for lunch as well as nights out.

Consalthough proclaimed as a company with flat structure it is one of the most corporate bureaucracy overloaded places I have ever seen. Response times from management are slow, review processes are just a copy-paste procedures from the other banks in the industry.

OK place to work to get mobile application development experience.

Assistant Vice President Developer (Current Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I have been working at Barclays full-time for less than a year

ProsI work in the technology center in Plano, TX. If you want Mobile development experience on android and iOS phone/tablet, this is the place to go. Be aware that 90% of the development staff and 100% of the management staff are Indian, as Shygan brought over his entire management team from Verizon when he got the job as CTO at Barclays, and they brought over all their friends.

ConsNo promotion potential if you work in the technology center in Plano, TX. If you have a burning need to feel that you are part of a team, this is not the place to be. The Indian management team has their favorites, and most meetings are conducted in their native language (not English). But if you are OK working solo, and you are agressive enough to get your questions answered so you can do your job, the mobile dev experience will help you move up in terms of your career path with another company. Also, be aware that the CTO Shygan recently departed, and their are rumors that the US tech center may be shut down by the parent company in England.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you intend to keep the Plano Technology center open in the US, take a hard look at replacing some of the management team that Shygan brought over with a few American's. Meetings and technical discussions should be conducted in English, and time allowed for translation to those team members who may not have as good an understanding of English. Conducting technical meetings in another language makes it hard for those non-Indian team members to participate and to do their jobs.

goof place to work

I have been working at Barclays

Proslots of opportunities and constant changes

Consold systems and constant changes

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Barclays reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Barclays CEO Antony Jenkins. All 423 reviews are posted anonymously by Barclays employees.