Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

Great place to start a career in finance

Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsInvestment banking at Barclays provides a great learning experience for college graduates.

ConsCompensation is never above the street.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork-life balance could improve if not the compensation, early promotions could help to retain talent

Good package if you are a strong performer, but you have to give up your personal life to get it

Vice President - Risk (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsDynamic, fast paced, challenging, lots of scope to move around

ConsConstant threat of redundancy, extremely long hours, leadership levels have excessive amounts of politics and in fighting which gets in the way of them achieving the new vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a role model for the values rather than delegating down to others

Started off all right...

Project Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGot to try out a few roles when I started, got some good experience and training, and (while not relevant to me) they supposedly allowed for a good work-life balance for working mums.

ConsChange after change after change. Everyone was constantly ready for battle, knowing you'd be at risk every 6 months meant everyone was fighting against their colleagues, doing anything they can to make themselves look better. Projects regularly started and thrown aside, wasting time and money and killing motivation. Hoops to jump through at every stage.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Barclays is completely educational

Resourcing & Talent Manager (Former Employee) Cairo (Egypt)

ProsBarclays is very structural with a full set of policies and procedures. It is very helpful to find everything set and clear.

ConsEnvironment is very competitive with a prejudice for grades among employees. Fluctuations of salary among same level. Barclays expansion was not well studied with defects in infrastructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to take small steps that are well studies.

Very good personal experience in small team but overall organization needs a great deal of work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsDIrect managers are extremely caring and a joy to work for. Flexibility, boss is extremely understanding of all outside factors. Work/Life Balance provides opportunity to focus on family life. Down to earth colleagues make for a collegial environment. Independence to build, own and manage processes lets you make what you want of your role.

ConsVery bureaucratic, it takes forever to get an answer or an approval due to countless layers and endless mixed messaging. Extremely slow pace for anything.
    Compensation was flat out bad and promotion process is inconsistent. No focus improving, just a focus on cutting costs. Very volatile organization with no stability due to lots of layoffs and a revolving door of employees. Communication is lacking as folks make decisions in isolation. Directors sit with their doors closed and many colleagues ignore emails and do not return voicemails.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify, mitigate then eliminate the extreme bureaucracy.

Sad demise of Barclays

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsLocal to where I live,good part time hours,wonderful customers.

ConsCompany values have disappeared over the many years I worked for Barclays.I gave my all and they gave nothing back not even respect for my 38 years service.Not even a 'Happy retirement ' or 'Goodbye ' card.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome Human beings again and realise staff are Human beings too that have a life outside Barclays.Make Barclays a place to work that the staff can feel proud of and that is respected by customers.Put customer service first not sales like it used to be.

Not a friendly atmosphere. If you like no life and money, heres the job for you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe experience and knowledge was great to learn

ConsThe team never acted like a team. Don't get too friendly with the others just act professional

WonderFull!

Analyst (Former Employee) Noida (India)

ProsGood Learning Opportunities,Not good for freshers.

ConsHard to get those opportunities,not easy to crack IJP's.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust on your employees.

Contracting and culture not changing

Director (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsScale and opportunity to do different things

ConsActions do not match words when talk of values and changing culture. Workforce treated as resources in a short termist way rather than long term partners in achieving the corporate goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink beyond this budget in your planning and how you treat staff.

Ehhhh.

Operations Analyst (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsMost of the people I have met are very helpful. Great health benefits, 401k match.

ConsPromotion process is unclear and completely different depending on the area of the bank you work in. There are seemingly people with titles who shouldn't have them as they don't do anything, or know what you would expect them to know for having that title. Executive management does not appear to have a pulse on all the negative sentiment that exists internally. Not a fun place to work. Direct mgmt seemingly doesn't care about it's staff. It's not a growing company, it's a shrinking one. No raises for years. Seemingly impossible to get an interview internally without knowing someone. HR is the worst. They are slow to respond: to queries, job submissions, etc. completely unhelpful.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a complete overhaul. All the money spent paying McKinnsey for the review has seemingly been wasted for the moment.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!