Barclays

Barclays Reviews

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Barclays Group CEO Antony Jenkins

Antony Jenkins

Pros
  • Some good people amidst a sea of people who've checked out; good work life balance(in 50 reviews)

• Flexible work from home, multiple network of mentors(in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Transfers are very rarely given to help staff in work/life balance unless you are management(in 18 reviews)

• There have been increased senior management changes in recent years(in 24 reviews)

Corporate VP Front Office

ProsGood benefits and career prospects. Below market average pay. Good culture and peer support. Continuous professional development supported and encouraged.

ConsHierarchical. Can be political and internally focussed. Very heavy governance and compliance requirements. Numerous reputation and legacy issues remain unresolved.

A good place to work if your face fits or if you don't want to develop your career.

ProsA steady work environment with some really good people. Benefits are reasonable with an excellent pension. A great name to have on your CV as people recognise that if you can work at Barclays you can work anywhere.

ConsCareer advancement depends more on who you drink with than your ability. The importance of company values is emphasised by senior management but their behaviour does not display them. Prospects for career development are very poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop measuring success by revenue... Measure profit. Don't just talk about values, display them.

Trying to improve but struggling to get passed its silo-ed mentality

Customer Experience Designer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWillingness to look at new ways of doing things to improve the customer offering with some bright and dedicated people

ConsSilo-ed thinking and departmental politics slow down and frustrate the ability to make a difference with new ideas and ways of working

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to ensure departments are working and collaborating on shared objectives that advance the customer proposition and avoid silo-ed behaviours

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Head of Latin American Interest Rate and FX Valuations

Vice President (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsYou're pretty much left alone to direct your own career

ConsExtremely limited opportunities within the firm. Can't keep its name out of the news

Good package if you are a strong performer, but you have to give up your personal life to get it

Vice President - Risk (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsDynamic, fast paced, challenging, lots of scope to move around

ConsConstant threat of redundancy, extremely long hours, leadership levels have excessive amounts of politics and in fighting which gets in the way of them achieving the new vision.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a role model for the values rather than delegating down to others

Started off all right...

Project Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGot to try out a few roles when I started, got some good experience and training, and (while not relevant to me) they supposedly allowed for a good work-life balance for working mums.

ConsChange after change after change. Everyone was constantly ready for battle, knowing you'd be at risk every 6 months meant everyone was fighting against their colleagues, doing anything they can to make themselves look better. Projects regularly started and thrown aside, wasting time and money and killing motivation. Hoops to jump through at every stage.

Working at Barclays is completely educational

Resourcing & Talent Manager (Former Employee) Cairo (Egypt)

ProsBarclays is very structural with a full set of policies and procedures. It is very helpful to find everything set and clear.

ConsEnvironment is very competitive with a prejudice for grades among employees. Fluctuations of salary among same level. Barclays expansion was not well studied with defects in infrastructure.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to take small steps that are well studies.

Very good personal experience in small team but overall organization needs a great deal of work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsDIrect managers are extremely caring and a joy to work for. Flexibility, boss is extremely understanding of all outside factors. Work/Life Balance provides opportunity to focus on family life. Down to earth colleagues make for a collegial environment. Independence to build, own and manage processes lets you make what you want of your role.

ConsVery bureaucratic, it takes forever to get an answer or an approval due to countless layers and endless mixed messaging. Extremely slow pace for anything.
    Compensation was flat out bad and promotion process is inconsistent. No focus improving, just a focus on cutting costs. Very volatile organization with no stability due to lots of layoffs and a revolving door of employees. Communication is lacking as folks make decisions in isolation. Directors sit with their doors closed and many colleagues ignore emails and do not return voicemails.

Advice to Senior ManagementIdentify, mitigate then eliminate the extreme bureaucracy.

Not a friendly atmosphere. If you like no life and money, heres the job for you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe experience and knowledge was great to learn

ConsThe team never acted like a team. Don't get too friendly with the others just act professional

Sad demise of Barclays

Personal Banker (Former Employee) Birmingham, England (UK)

ProsLocal to where I live,good part time hours,wonderful customers.

ConsCompany values have disappeared over the many years I worked for Barclays.I gave my all and they gave nothing back not even respect for my 38 years service.Not even a 'Happy retirement ' or 'Goodbye ' card.

Advice to Senior ManagementBecome Human beings again and realise staff are Human beings too that have a life outside Barclays.Make Barclays a place to work that the staff can feel proud of and that is respected by customers.Put customer service first not sales like it used to be.

Worked for Barclays? Contribute to the Community!