Banana Republic

Banana Republic Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun

Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap)(in 101 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies)(in 93 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing credit cards is the only thing corporate is worried about(in 87 reviews)

• Employee raises were given once a year, but they cap sales associates in the Factory Stores at(in 38 reviews)

Sales associate

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsAt Banana republic in pacific centre was amazing atmosphere at the beginning.
    Great People to work with

ConsManagers tend to not help you much
    managers are very picky and favour a lot

Advice to Senior Managementmaybe more trained managers instead of loyal employees

Great management but a draining working environment

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

ProsManagement team is great, open, friendly, they know their business perfectly and training is very thorough. You get 50% discount on their products but considering the numerous times when the whole collection is 40% off for customers, is it really a perk? The good think though is that you don't have to wear BR clothes to work there.

ConsAmongst the lowest salaries in retail and of course, no commission. The company is all about great customer service but how do you seriously deliver any quality service when there is never enough staff to assist the customers On a busy day, there are only 2 sales people at the same time to assist customers in the fitting rooms and grab sizes. I almost quit on my very first day: at some point, the fitting rooms were full, there was a line-up in front of the rooms, customers were asking for help or sizes all at the same time. On my way through the store to grab sizes, I was asked for help by at least 5 customers, same thing on my way back. When I finally get back to the rooms, it starts all over again and it's like this for 7 hours in row. I have never been so exhausted in my life and I worked 8 years in retail! I never experienced anything like it. I am all about customer service but what kind of service can we deliver in a context like this? I am very disappointed by the company...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company should walk the talk... You want to deliver the best customer service, then HIRE STAFF and pay them decently to do their job. In a previous retail job, I was paid much more and we were always 3 to 4 sales people for a store one-third the size and we actually could and were motivated to deliver great customer service because we felt valued and because we were given the means to truly assist our customers. When you have to handle too many customers at once, there is no way you can deliver any service of any kind. focusing only one a couple of them is not a solution either because the others are not at all being taken care of... I find myself frustrated in a way I've never been before because I want to do a great job, and I can't beause it's all about making profit and the ones paying the price for it are the staff and ultimately the customers.

Ok, just ok.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Halifax, NS

ProsGreat company to work for, awesome discount, benefits and people are great.

ConsTwo cons I have is there's not a lot of room to move up in the company. If you have been working there for a while it'll be forever till you can get promoted, it took 4 years for me. Seems unfair to work so hard for nothing ; and there is little to no training your thrown into battle almost right away.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more feedback, positive and negative, promotions or employee benefits like prizes by doing contests or something

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Positive

ProsTraining is thorough, they show appreciation for employees that work hard - in the from of prizes, recognition during the service forum, and a bonus if monthly goals are met, they also listen to your needs as an employee

ConsIn my store it is difficult to move up, the team is kept very small and they don't take on lead positions to support the supervisor and manager positions unless one leaves - whereas some stores have multiple leads and supervisors positions for the same work centre

Great experience

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

Pros- Coworkers and managers are very friendly
    - Always updated on new promotions and products before every shift
    - Great environment to work in
    - Opportunities for promotions, as well as volunteer activities!
    - Great training

Cons- Pay isn't high enough for me to continue working here

pretty good

General Manager (Current Employee) Vancouver, BC

Prospeople, discount, training,exposure, career growth

Consschedule, impossible standards, type A bosses, workload, stress

Advice to Senior Managementhey you're the ones making the big bucks. you don't need advice from me.

overall okay

Prosgreat benefit for gap as well

Consbasic pay that never raise

stylish company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsStaff discount is a nice incentive to grow your own closet

ConsSome tasks can be very tedious

A very simple and engaging job in a structured, well managed company

Sales Support Associate (Current Employee)

ProsGood work environment. Repetitive tasks allow you to excel expectations after some time. Knowledge of the fashion industry is expected to be develop. Employee discount is amazing and includes other stores in the holding: Gap and Old Navy.

ConsSalary: this is a minimum wage job and, as it happens most of the time in retail business, payment doesn´t compensate the effort.

Happy worker

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Moncton, NB

Pros-Management is absolutely great!
    -All staff is like one big group of friends
    -Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap)
    -Employee rewards program

Cons-Not a lot of hours to go around
    -Not the best music to listen to all day

Advice to Senior ManagementI know at my location there are a lot of workers for a small location so many of us are wishing for more hours. However the main reason why we don't have many hours is because we don't always reach our daily goal. I personally believe that this could be helped with advertising. We have a small store in a new shopping center and we have been open for about 6 months now and we still get the occasional person who comes in that didn't know we had opened. We don't have flyers, adds or posters...nothing.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!