Banana Republic

Updated 19 October, 2014
3.3

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun
Jack Calhoun

Pros
  • Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap) (in 105 reviews)

• Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies) (in 103 reviews)

Cons
  • Management heavily pushes the credit card because they have a quota too meet for each day (in 95 reviews)

• If you don't value your work/life balance then this is the perfect company for you (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

5 years on and off

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Calgary, AB

I worked at Banana Republic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First of all, the discount is great. It is fun working for a company that is on-trend but also is effortlessly Classic.

Cons

Working retail in a mall setting has its obvious challenges- when it's busy, it's BUSY. People get crazy in the malls especially nearing the holidays. But it comes with the territory.

Get to know the workings of your individual stores

I worked at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

nothing much to say, cheap labour.

Cons

nothing much to say, cheap labour.

Fantastic

Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, ON
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in London, ON

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great management, positive feedback, staff support, great team environment. Flexibility with work schedule, great product and awesome image..

Cons

I did not have any, but for some it could be weekend availability, evenings shift or sometimes shorter shifts.

Key for great employees is a great management team. Support, training and positive reinforcement.

good

Current Employee - Cashier Lead in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Cashier Lead in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

the store is very easy to work for. nothing too complicated. not too much fuss from upper management. would d

Cons

too many discount days which saturated the brand, repetitive. raises were very minimal.

A good place to work for a part time job

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (less than an year)

Pros

can obtain the first hand information on fashion trends

Cons

May spend more than you earn on new arrivals

Its been a great learning experience

Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Brand Ambassador in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time

Pros

Its a fast passed environment and all the workers are friendly. The leadership team are the best I have worked for, they have really high standards which they try to maintain. You get enough time off and the dress code is really good too

Cons

Few hours, Customers sometimes can be rude so you have to be calm all the time as you might lose your temper if you are one of those weak people. A bit of favouritism

They are doing an awesome job however more Feedback to employees would be welcome.

Great looking clothes and classy but very boring

I have been working at Banana Republic

Pros

Meeting some interesting customers and the discounts

Cons

very boring especially when there is no customers.

Great management but a draining working environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Management team is great, open, friendly, they know their business perfectly and training is very thorough. You get 50% discount on their products but considering the numerous times when the whole collection is 40% off for customers, is it really a perk? The good think though is that you don't have to wear BR clothes to work there.

Cons

Amongst the lowest salaries in retail and of course, no commission. The company is all about great customer service but how do you seriously deliver any quality service when there is never enough staff to assist the customers On a busy day, there are only 2 sales people at the same time to assist customers in the fitting rooms and grab sizes. I almost quit on my very first day: at some point, the fitting rooms were full, there was a line-up in front of the rooms, customers were asking for help or sizes all at the same time. On my way through the store to grab sizes, I was asked for help by at least 5 customers, same thing on my way back. When I finally get back to the rooms, it starts all over again and it's like this for 7 hours in row. I have never been so exhausted in my life and I worked 8 years in retail! I never experienced anything like it. I am all about customer service but what kind of service can we deliver in a context like this? I am very disappointed by the company...

The company should walk the talk... You want to deliver the best customer service, then HIRE STAFF and pay them decently to do their job. In a previous retail job, I was paid much more and we were always 3 to 4 sales people for a store one-third the size and we actually could and were motivated to deliver great customer service because we felt valued and because we were given the means to truly assist our customers. When you have to handle too many customers at once, there is no way you can deliver any service of any kind. focusing only one a couple of them is not a solution either because the others are not at all being taken care of... I find myself frustrated in a way I've never been before because I want to do a great job, and I can't beause it's all about making profit and the ones paying the price for it are the staff and ultimately the customers.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Vancouver, BC

I worked at Banana Republic part-time (more than an year)

Pros

At Banana republic in pacific centre was amazing atmosphere at the beginning.
    Great People to work with

Cons

Managers tend to not help you much
    managers are very picky and favour a lot

maybe more trained managers instead of loyal employees

Ok, just ok.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Halifax, NS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Halifax, NS

I worked at Banana Republic full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for, awesome discount, benefits and people are great.

Cons

Two cons I have is there's not a lot of room to move up in the company. If you have been working there for a while it'll be forever till you can get promoted, it took 4 years for me. Seems unfair to work so hard for nothing ; and there is little to no training your thrown into battle almost right away.

Give more feedback, positive and negative, promotions or employee benefits like prizes by doing contests or something