Banana Republic

Banana Republic Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Banana Republic President Jack Calhoun

Jack Calhoun

Pros:
  • "Great discount to use over 3 brands(Banana Republic, Old Navy & Gap)"
    in 96 reviews
  • "Employee discount is a nice perk (which applies or other Gap related companies)"
    in 88 reviews
Cons:
  • "Management heavily pushes the credit card because they have a quota too meet for each day"
    in 78 reviews
  • "Very competitive among sales associates fighting over potential card holders"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sales Associate

I have been working at Banana Republic

ProsGreat discounts. Friendly environment to work in. Provide great training.

ConsLow Salary, with minimal increase. Rarely promotes from within. Company directives keep changing.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave more competitive pay.

efficient interview result

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

Prostalk to manager in-store and got an interview on the next week,
the 2nd day after interview got the offer

Consnot sure if they have background check

Advice to Senior ManagementN/a

Fun, positive and organized.

Stock Associate (Former Employee)
Vancouver, BC

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for more than a year

ProsYour pay is based on your performance. In whatever role you do at BR, they will do a review every year and tell you where to improve and whether or not you get an increase in wages. for the most part they have tools to analytically measure your performance.

ConsIt can get quite competitive on the sales floor, and some of the targets and deadlines can be unreasonable. -especially rollouts and replens during holiday season.

Company with deep rooted values and great teams!

Brand Ambassador (Current Employee)
Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Management
Great people to work with
Open communication with staff
Fun place to work

ConsShort on hours sced done weekly

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work! They love there people and want them to be successful!

Management needs a reality check...

Vancouver, BC

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

ProsThere are probably only two good reasons to work at BR:
1. BR is owned by Gap Inc. which is a well recognized American company with stores all over the world. So if you were to move to another city, state/province or country and are looking for a new retail position you have a reasonably well-known employer on your résumé.
2. Working for Gap Inc. means you'll get a discount at all the companies owned by Gap Inc. including Old Navy and The Gap.

ConsCo-workers and I shared the same opinion that even though Banana Republic is an "AFFORDABLE luxury" retailer, management is very "snobby" across many locations. Many managers find it unnecessary to train or coach employees. BR was my first retail job after managing a fast food restaurant for two years and so approaching customers, knowing benefits and specs of clothes/fabrics, facing customer objections about fit and quality, etc... were foreign to me. It wasn't easy for me to make such an immediate and smooth transition in to retail and selling. Instead of being asked to shadow a more experienced sales associate or having a bit more guidance from management, after three weeks of working at BR my hours went hours went from 25/week to 10/week. After not improving lack to training and working the floor to find my "groove", my hours went from 10/week to 4-0/week. I eventually had to quit because I could not afford to work at BR anymore which is really unfortunate for them because with a little bit of encouragement and assistance, I could have been a really good sales person. However, it is their loss... At my current sales associate job I am the third highest seller out of 37 employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWish the management be more friendly and approachable so I could have asked questions and warmed up to the job and I wish the management had given me a fair chance as well as the proper training.
Also, too many people are hired so there is not a fair distribution of hours for employees... When I first started working at BR there was 110 employees and towards the end of my time there, there was 140 employees... That's a little excessive and ridiculous. The fast food restaurant that I had worked at previously didn't even have that many employees and we were open 24/7.

Customer Service Representative

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Montreal, QC

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

ProsYou will be working with wonderful people on the floor. As a matter of fact, a lot of them will become your friends. Much like you, they are only working at Banana Republic to make ends meet as they are going to school for bigger and better things. A lot of them take pride in their work much like you.

ConsManagement was comprised of "mean girls". I'm talking about completely classless managers who spoke down on certain employees when they saw fit. Again, this isn't all of them but those significantly higher on the upper echelon of that store are to blame. As a matter of fact, a few of them (not all) enjoyed talking about other customer service reps and sales reps behind their backs. I would avoid working at the store in Montreal in Sainte Catherine if management hasn't changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf the managers are the same from the ones in 2011, the store in Montreal will need a complete management overhaul.

Not much to do!

Sales Associate (Former Employee)

I worked at Banana Republic part-time for more than a year

ProsVery nice people to work with. Very Organized and staff appeared to be happy.

ConsNot very much to do as a new sales associate. Shifts were long.

Hit or miss

Brand Ambassador (Current Employee)

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeers provide positive work environment
Great chance to network
Flexibility in scheduling

ConsEmployee discount program not that great
Weak management staff

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust employees to perform to their potential with minimal supervision. Provide a warm, and supportive environment where employees can perform without worrying about management issues. When the store is underperforming please continue to be positive and give employees space to operate. There is no need to pressure employees and intervene, we as employees know the situations that the store faces day-to-day and we will work to improve it the best we can.

Great job and team!

Saskatoon, SK

I have been working at Banana Republic part-time for less than a year

Pros- Great management team
- A staff that has fun and likes their jobs
- Good training and communication between management and staff

Cons- Sometimes hard to get hours
- Schedules on short notice

Advice to Senior Management- Keep up the good work!
- Creating the schedules in advance may reduce employee anxiety

Pleasant but Challenging

I have been working at Banana Republic full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe product that we sell is generally great, and with the right staff it is a very positive environment.

ConsUpper management is very focussed on sales to the detriment of customer exerience. More focus is made on continually providing coupons and discounts to artificially drive sales instead of letting the product and the employees sell it based on the quality and the value it has been assigned.

Worked for Banana Republic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Banana Republic reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Banana Republic CEO Jack Calhoun. All 686 reviews are posted anonymously by Banana Republic employees.