Baker Hughes

Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

Pros:
  • "Long standing oil tools company with good benefits"
    in 30 reviews
  • "Positive culture, freedom to be ethical in dealings, good work life balance"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "Not enough time at home, not a good work-life balance at all"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Upper Management is being told what sounds good not what is really going on"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

New & Overwhelmed

Prefer Not to Say (Current Employee)
Edmonton, AB

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat People, great company, great pay, very concerned with employees safety and seem to back it up with actions

ConsA lot of confusion, not the best onboarding, Problems with getting email etc. a lot of unclear processes in my group

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the HRSC in Houston sorted out. It's not working very efficiently

Baker Hughes

ILI Data Analyst (Current Employee)
Toronto, ON

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat atmosphere and team cohesion

ConsPreferential treatment to select few

Advice to Senior ManagementMore proactive in advancing current employees

Poor

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 10 years

ProsNice new bases well designed

ConsManagers consider people as objects to gain or loses

Working as a cementer

Operator (Former Employee)
Lloydminster, SK

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking out of lloydminister was a great family experience with a great atmosphere to work in.

ConsWages were lower that average and they have old equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop give the customers large discounts and cutting into the pay of the employees

I worked at Baker Hughes for almost 3 years and was willing to work more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time

ProsI started to work in a new group and was promised a lot in the beginning.

ConsWhat I never understood was how can someone be given a Gold employee appreciation award and then let go in a few months!!!!

Wireline Engineer

Field Engineer II (Former Employee)
Leduc, AB

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

ProsProduct lines other than wireline are good. BHI in general is a solid company and is why I put a higher rating on 'Culture & Values'.

ConsThere are more managers than there are field engineers and none of which communicate to one another properly to your detriment. You end up doing their job and they just go back to figuring out where they can place blame for failures stemming from the top. The managers word cannot be trusted, you MUST get anything and everything in writing or you are going to suffer severely in many ways, your manager will never back you up or stand up for you.

If there is an issue that arrises due to a systemic problem, more paperwork is simply dumped on the engineer like a bandaid and the root cause is never looked in to. It doesn't matter if you completely mess up a job, whether the fault of your own or otherwise, so long as your paperwork is complete. If paperwork is incomplete, or even has the slightest error, even after you've been awake for 40 hours you will never hear the end of it.

You are forced to work insane hours, not necessarily by the managers but simply because you have integrity and inner desire to do well for your customers. You are put in situations where you are set up by the managers for failure and the only way to succeed is to work yourself to death. I wish glassdoor didn't make it so you have to put even 1 star for the 'Work/Life Balance' rating, they should have minus stars.

Advice to Senior ManagementWireline used to have 3 managers running the whole operation and it was relatively smooth, now there is a nice club of over 20 that run around making peoples lives hell. There needs to be a complete wipe of the current circle of friends.

HR right through to the top thinks it's ok for the company to hemorrhage engineers at an astounding rate and are unwilling to look into highly unethical behaviour. The company puts hundreds of thousands of dollars into their engineers training just to see them walk out the door. They don't quite understand that these people will now go work for companies that hire service companies like Baker and will have a huge influence on whether they get the work or not.

Take some professional skills training, because there is nothing professional going on in the office.

Freedom

Senior Mechanical Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for more than 5 years

Prosfree to experiment. all the best equipment. good people

Consbad management. lower pay than competitors

Advice to Senior Managementget competent managers where needed

Great company to work with

MWD (Current Employee)
Calgary, AB

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for more than a year

ProsCareer Advancement is based on perfomance

ConsWorking on the Rig for a long period of time, no regular schedule

Advice to Senior ManagementJob security is importance for every employee

Micro managed by Houston head office

Administrative (Former Employee)
Calgary, AB

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people I worked with were great. The salary was acceptable. The benefits were average, nothing special. The location was central and easily accessible by public transit.

ConsHouston head office did not understand the working culture of Calgary especially around Stampede time. Forced to use very inefficient software that made simple tasks impossible to accomplish. Not provided training for said software despite asking numerous times. Working here would only be useful to keep you employed while you look elsewhere. HR is completely inefficient and unresponsive, and also based in Houston. I would NOT recommend this place to friends.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease place some value on your lower level employees, sometimes they can see the bigger picture and can see simple solutions to problems. Stop ignoring lower level employees when they make a complaint. Continually replacing your lower level staff is a very inefficient way to conduct business.

Field Engineer - LWD

Field Engineer I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time for less than a year

ProsReally nice engineer development program
Has a lot of opportunity to learn and meet different people around the world

ConsDrilling can be really slow sometimes. Management should recommend their employee to try other product line.
Not sitting at home

Advice to Senior ManagementCall the employee more often and let them know when things are slow...

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Baker Hughes reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Baker Hughes CEO Martin Craighead. All 526 reviews are posted anonymously by Baker Hughes employees.