www.bakerhughes.com

Baker Hughes Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Baker Hughes President and CEO Martin Craighead

Martin Craighead

Pros
  • Depending on superior, work life balance is reasonable (in 19 reviews)

• Long standing oil tools company with good benefits (in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees (in 17 reviews)

• Upper management is doesn't understand the impact of their decisions (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights

New & Overwhelmed

Prefer Not to Say (Current Employee) Edmonton, AB

ProsGreat People, great company, great pay, very concerned with employees safety and seem to back it up with actions

ConsA lot of confusion, not the best onboarding, Problems with getting email etc. a lot of unclear processes in my group

Advice to Senior ManagementGet the HRSC in Houston sorted out. It's not working very efficiently

It was satisfactory

ProsI have Got oil field tickets

Consit was a contract and they lay off me before completion.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should not give false hopes.

Uninspired organization with no value on corporate culture or employees.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExperience in Oil & Gas

ConsLeadership can not get out of immediate reaction mode and organization lacks inspiration. No work-life balance as there is little regard for employees.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good safety culture

ConsNo rotation
    Low salary
    Need to improve communication

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate & involve workers in suggestions & decision & yes we are low paid

Baker Hughes Pipeline Services, calgary

Tech (Former Employee) Calgary, AB

ProsVery nice people. Helpful and friendly.

ConsDisorganized chaos. Different departments don't share info & expertise or collaborate.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of "cost centers". Everyone in all areas of the company should be encouraged to cooperate & collaborate for the good of the company as a whole.

ILI Data Analyst (Current Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat atmosphere and team cohesion

ConsPreferential treatment to select few

Advice to Senior ManagementMore proactive in advancing current employees

Poor

ProsNice new bases well designed

ConsManagers consider people as objects to gain or loses

Working as a cementer

Operator (Former Employee) Lloydminster, SK

ProsWorking out of lloydminister was a great family experience with a great atmosphere to work in.

ConsWages were lower that average and they have old equipment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop give the customers large discounts and cutting into the pay of the employees

I worked at Baker Hughes for almost 3 years and was willing to work more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI started to work in a new group and was promised a lot in the beginning.

ConsWhat I never understood was how can someone be given a Gold employee appreciation award and then let go in a few months!!!!

Wireline Engineer

Field Engineer II (Former Employee) Leduc, AB

ProsProduct lines other than wireline are good. BHI in general is a solid company and is why I put a higher rating on 'Culture & Values'.

ConsThere are more managers than there are field engineers and none of which communicate to one another properly to your detriment. You end up doing their job and they just go back to figuring out where they can place blame for failures stemming from the top. The managers word cannot be trusted, you MUST get anything and everything in writing or you are going to suffer severely in many ways, your manager will never back you up or stand up for you.

If there is an issue that arrises due to a systemic problem, more paperwork is simply dumped on the engineer like a bandaid and the root cause is never looked in to. It doesn't matter if you completely mess up a job, whether the fault of your own or otherwise, so long as your paperwork is complete. If paperwork is incomplete, or even has the slightest error, even after you've been awake for 40 hours you will never hear the end of it.

You are forced to work insane hours, not necessarily by the managers but simply because you have integrity and inner desire to do well for your customers. You are put in situations where you are set up by the managers for failure and the only way to succeed is to work yourself to death. I wish glassdoor didn't make it so you have to put even 1 star for the 'Work/Life Balance' rating, they should have minus stars.

Advice to Senior ManagementWireline used to have 3 managers running the whole operation and it was relatively smooth, now there is a nice club of over 20 that run around making peoples lives hell. There needs to be a complete wipe of the current circle of friends.

HR right through to the top thinks it's ok for the company to hemorrhage engineers at an astounding rate and are unwilling to look into highly unethical behaviour. The company puts hundreds of thousands of dollars into their engineers training just to see them walk out the door. They don't quite understand that these people will now go work for companies that hire service companies like Baker and will have a huge influence on whether they get the work or not.

Take some professional skills training, because there is nothing professional going on in the office.

Worked for Baker Hughes? Contribute to the Community!