Baker Distributing

Updated 5 August, 2014
Updated 5 August, 2014

2.2

Carole J. Poindexter

Horrible company to work for. All they are worried about are the stockholders and numbers.

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES
    Former Employee - COUNTER SALES

Pros

Monday - Friday 8-5
    Some benefits, vacation, 401K available, inside the A/C, most of the time, counter sales commission available if you fight for it.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Constant favoritism from upper management. Constant pressure for sales, sales, sales. Threats of losing job if certain "numbers" or budget are not met. Too many upper management positions (VP of Profitability ? Come on) Positions filled by "friends" of upper management. They are getting rid of, firing, repositioning, forcing out long time (20+ years) employees. They want to get rid of them because long timers had 4 week vacation and 6 sick days, and are getting paid, pretty well. Halfway long timers, like myself, had 3 weeks and 6 sick days, now, your max is 2 weeks. On top of that, are hiring new people, with no field experience, and no or very little whole sale experience, to fill positions, as opposed to hiring from within to avoid paying a decent salary. Basically, they hire a 25 year old, with no HVAC field experience and very little skills to fill a manager position because he'll do it for half the salary of a qualified person. I have personally witnessed, as have other employees and customers, the manager at the branch where I was employed belittle, use profanity, make sexist remarks to a female employee, make age related remarks to an older employee, use money out of the cash drawer and replace it with his own money at the end of the week or when an auditor would come in. I saw the manager ask another employee (his personal friend) to borrow some cash to replenish the cash drawer because an auditor was coming. I have seen this manager come in an hour to two hours late EVERY DAY. He has come in hungover, numerous times. This manager has been reported to HR at least 4 times, 3 times by employees at 2 different branches, and at least once by a customer. On one occasion, the complainant was actually retaliated against and written up by the zone manager for "poking the bear", as he put it. On 2 occasions, the reporting got right back to the manager about whom the report was made. HR relayed the complaint to the zone manager, who went and relayed it right to the manager. I, myself, had never filed a complaint because it's obviously a "good ol' boys club" in business attire. I jumped ship at the first opportunity that I saw. There is so much more that I could say, but have neither the time nor space to write about it.

Stop hiring and firing employees for no reason. There is no stability as an employee at Baker. Get rid of all of the useless positions, such as VP of Profitability, in corporate and focus on the employees at store level that actually do work and not just send endless e-mails all day long pushing for more, more, more. Get rid of the cheer leader, Mike Hall. He's useless. Get rid of the EBIT system. Maybe focus a little more on employee issues and customer service, and not the shareholders. Stop making empty promises to current valuable employees, just to turn around and stability them in the back. Too much to list. Overall horrible company to work for. If I could give it a "0", I would.

Dirty Company

Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Territory Sales Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

It's a job, but thats all

Cons

Way too many VP's! Local management has absolutely NO team leadership! NO Training, pay is below industry average, corp office changes commission structure in the middle of a commission period and takes your commission away when you think you have made one. Poor inventory. No opportunity to grow

Have some leadership and training. Maybe try to communicate with your sales team. Don't talk bad about your employees behind their backs. Have some moral values. Try to be decent human beings

Going,Going,Goooooooone

Former Employee - Service Center Manager
    Former Employee - Service Center Manager

Pros

It's was a job.......It used to be much better people actually came into work smiling

Cons

Too many chiefs and not enough indians. This company is prime example of what happens when Wall Street meets contractors. Contractors could care less whether your traded on the stock market or not.

Keep your experienced guys not your book smart people. Get rid of ALL of the VP Friends Club in Jacksonville and put people that have field experince in those positions. Remember having a degree does not mean your smarter it just means you completed courses Management in Jacksonville has done some people dirty i.e. firing managers that was blamed for sales but had no outside salesperson and very little help inside. They hold back the manager then blame it on Watsco when you complain to them.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I Use to love working Baker, not so much now.

Current Employee - COUNTER SALES
    Current Employee - COUNTER SALES

Pros

Pay and benefits are OK.

Cons

They are turning the company in to telemarketers, and we know how much people like telemarketers.

Employees are sick of sales, sales , sales everyday. Customers do not want us calling them everyday with new specials. We do work in the Hvac/r business and people don't have time to answer calls from us everyday. Focus more on employee development.

each department is different

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL (US)

Pros

some managers were open to change others were not

Cons

our manager played good cop bad cop constantly

Stop playing favorites, listen to staff

Baker Dist. is a good HVAC wholesale supply house that has branches and sister companies all over the country.

Current Employee - Territory Sales  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Territory Sales in Atlanta, GA (US)

Pros

I have enjoyed the freedom of my outside sales position in the Atlanta market. And I really enjoy the people I work with.

Cons

At times it feels like Baker is just too big. It can take a long time to get things done. There are too many VP's in the corporate office.

I in joyed working for this company!!

Former Employee - COUNTER SALES  in  Tulare, CA (US)
    Former Employee - COUNTER SALES in Tulare, CA (US)

Pros

made lots of friends' enter acting with the tech. and customers..

Cons

double check your manager back ground! I know I would be still working for this company!!

need to drug test your manager

Very few advancement opportunities.

Pros

Financially strong corporation, with a long history in their business segment.

Cons

Pay below average with other companies in the industry.
    Too much focus on bottom line vs. employee development.

Work to provide recognition to outstanding employees and foster involvement.

The worst of the worst

Current Employee - Service Center Manager  in  Birmingham, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Service Center Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)

Pros

It is employment is about the only redeeming value this company has for it's employees

Cons

Upper management gets brilliant ideas and pushes changes and then after a month or two looses interest for another huge brilliant idea from people so far out of touch with actual field level sales it is tragic.

Fire every single person in corporate and get people in these positions who have actual field level sales experience. Plus the old saying it takes money to make money. When constricting branches to save by running them so lean if one person calls in sick you only have one person at the branch is ridiculous.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Service Center Manager  in  Birmingham, AL (US)
    Current Employee - Service Center Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)

Pros

Easy computer system to learn and very good product line offering. Great customer retention also with great marketing backup. And great overall communication.

Cons

Central ordering through a distribution center by people who have no idea what your local stock levels should be. Limit of $250 for branch managers to buy goods without going through a buyer.

Allow branch managers more of a say in what their branch stocks and the levels of inventory. Also split up the larger zones into smaller ones.

Worked for Baker Distributing? Contribute to the Community!