Bain & Company

Updated 24 November, 2014
4.7

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 30 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 102 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 106 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic summer experience at Bain

Current Employee - Summer Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Summer Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Coming from the nonprofit world, I thought I'd be a fish out of water in consulting. At Bain I always felt supported by my team, by the culture, and the many opportunities for learning on the job. I had a fantastic time despite long hours and high expectations. I was challenged plenty, learned a ton, and look forward to returning full-time.

Cons

The consulting lifestyle is a big commitment, and while I was given more flexibility than I expected as an intern, the job is a significant lifestyle commitment.

Local staffing model is great, but in busy times I think suboptimal decisions can be made - protect staffing managers.

Bain & Company Response

Nov 25, 2014Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

I suspect that many interns shared your fear about being a 'fish out of water' (I certainly did more than a decade ago!) In fact, I've witnessed many people from a wide range of backgrounds be ... More

Associate Consultant

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great mentorship and focus on professional development. Everyone you work genuinely wants you to do well.
    - They invest a lot in you for training.
    - Great people and culture. Particularly in the Toronto office, it feels very close-knit.

Cons

- Long hours and lack of sustainable work/life balance.
    - Lack of clarity in staffing and opportunities to work in specific industries that you are interested in

Awesome people, great learning environment and impact.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with
    The topics you work on

Cons

Hard job with high work load

Never stopped raising the bar, never stopped teaching me to grab it

Current Employee - Principal in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Principal in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Constant escalation of my skills, but paired with a huge amount of support. I was always in over my head and there was always someone throwing me a life preserver and teaching me to swim.This has stayed true for 8 years.

Great culture, great people.

Cons

Gets stressful when you're close to a promotion point - though I admit this is most self-imposed!

Good company overall, though different experiences in regional office

Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

strong culture and nice, down to earth people...

Cons

high turnover translates to limited investment in mentorship

I learned a ton, and it is a great brand to have on my resume.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

- Work hard surrounded by very bright and competent people
    - Very high learning curve
    - Good benefits and salary relative to consulting firms out of the top 3

Cons

- They play on the emotional weaknesses of consultants to make them work harder
    - Managers are promoted for being good client managers, not for managing teams well, so a lot of managers are not concerned with how their teams view them

- I know it's not easy, but one of these days Bain is going to have to deal with the fact that it's not a very welcoming environment towards women past a certain tenure. Try as they might with women's dinners, etc, it still feels like an old boys club.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Really great people. I always feel inspired at Bain and get great proffessional development opportunities. We also get a lot of responsibility

Cons

Work life balance can be an issue. Hard to know how tough a given week will be in advance so making social plan can be challenging.

Management has managed downturn really well. I would make a push to enter government space give their greater involvement in corporate america.

Great place, great opportunities, hard work

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Bain has been a tremendous employer. The work is challenging, the people amazing. I've learned more than I could have imagined, and head off to graduate school feeling well prepared and excited for what comes next. I'm grateful I chose Bain as my first job out of college.

Cons

The work in intense, the hours long. They tell you that in recruiting, but until it becomes real it's hard to understand how it feels. At times you're staffed to casework that feels fascinating and important, at other times it feels less interesting. there is, though, a real focus on making sure that whatever you're doing has impact.

Incredible culture, people, development

Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant
    Former Employee - Senior Associate Consultant

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

What really sets Bain apart from other hard-working, smart professional services firms is that Bain has prioritized a culture of genuine caring about people - employees, clients, community. I was often impressed and inspired by leadership's dedication to doing what was right for the client, and simultaneously trying to protect sustainable work-life balance and continuously cultivate a fun, connected office/firm culture. I loved and benefitted immensely from the focus on professional development, mentorship, regular and real-time 360 degree feedback, and learning (with learning lunches covering a wide array of topics beyond what's most relevant to case work).

Cons

Work-life balance is still variable, depending on the client, case scoping, and team leadership. While there are a lot of benefits to the highly structured skills progression expectations across levels, Associate Consultants can sometimes feel limited to owning data analysis even when they could start demonstrating some of the higher-level thinking and "soft skills" that are more expected of Consultants and Managers.

Build into the revamp of the AC program earlier training on the important "soft skills" of general management, and start using tools that will cut down on the Excel data crunching that ACs spend a lot of time on.

Great place to learn and make immediate impact

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Extremely interesting projects in diverse sectors, with tangible impact to clients' bottom line. Very supportive culture with a strong focus on professional development. Diverse and fun place to work.

Cons

Long hours and lifestyle is not for everyone, but team-oriented and supportive culture helps make it sustainable.