Bain & Company Reviews

Updated 29 October, 2014
4.7

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek
Bob Bechek

Pros
  • My function focuses a lot on work life balance and provides lot of flexibility (in 30 reviews)

• Benefits are almost unmatched and lots of culture of really great people (in 58 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is always going to be a challenge given that the industry is client serving (in 102 reviews)

• Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours (in 106 reviews)

More Highlights

Fantastic summer experience at Bain

Current Employee - Summer Associate in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Summer Associate in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Coming from the nonprofit world, I thought I'd be a fish out of water in consulting. At Bain I always felt supported by my team, by the culture, and the many opportunities for learning on the job. I had a fantastic time despite long hours and high expectations. I was challenged plenty, learned a ton, and look forward to returning full-time.

Cons

The consulting lifestyle is a big commitment, and while I was given more flexibility than I expected as an intern, the job is a significant lifestyle commitment.

Local staffing model is great, but in busy times I think suboptimal decisions can be made - protect staffing managers.

Associate Consultant

Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Great mentorship and focus on professional development. Everyone you work genuinely wants you to do well.
    - They invest a lot in you for training.
    - Great people and culture. Particularly in the Toronto office, it feels very close-knit.

Cons

- Long hours and lack of sustainable work/life balance.
    - Lack of clarity in staffing and opportunities to work in specific industries that you are interested in

Awesome people, great learning environment and impact.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people you work with
    The topics you work on

Cons

Hard job with high work load

Never stopped raising the bar, never stopped teaching me to grab it

Current Employee - Principal in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Principal in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Constant escalation of my skills, but paired with a huge amount of support. I was always in over my head and there was always someone throwing me a life preserver and teaching me to swim.This has stayed true for 8 years.

Great culture, great people.

Cons

Gets stressful when you're close to a promotion point - though I admit this is most self-imposed!

Good company overall, though different experiences in regional office

Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON
    Current Employee - Consultant in Toronto, ON

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

strong culture and nice, down to earth people...

Cons

high turnover translates to limited investment in mentorship

I learned a ton, and it is a great brand to have on my resume.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros

- Work hard surrounded by very bright and competent people
    - Very high learning curve
    - Good benefits and salary relative to consulting firms out of the top 3

Cons

- They play on the emotional weaknesses of consultants to make them work harder
    - Managers are promoted for being good client managers, not for managing teams well, so a lot of managers are not concerned with how their teams view them

- I know it's not easy, but one of these days Bain is going to have to deal with the fact that it's not a very welcoming environment towards women past a certain tenure. Try as they might with women's dinners, etc, it still feels like an old boys club.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Associate Consultant
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant

I have been working at Bain & Company

Pros

Really great people. I always feel inspired at Bain and get great proffessional development opportunities. We also get a lot of responsibility

Cons

Work life balance can be an issue. Hard to know how tough a given week will be in advance so making social plan can be challenging.

Management has managed downturn really well. I would make a push to enter government space give their greater involvement in corporate america.

Best Place to Work - No Lie

Current Employee - Non-Consulting Staff in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Non-Consulting Staff in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Bain is a great place to work. I feel very fortunate to have landed my non-consulting job here. Plenty of personal time off, the training has been great and my colleagues are fantastic. It's so nice to work at a place where I never have to say, "that person is an idiot," because pretty much everyone at Bain is intelligent and thoughtful. My supervisors have been extremely supportive, I've been able to work in a way at Bain that I haven't been able to at any other company. Bain has an entrepreneur spirit in that you can "build your own Bain." At Bain we do the things we want to do and are passionate about, not just the things that just pay the bills.

I've worked at many other companies that people consider glamorous and are great for the resume. The management at Bain is fantastic, I promise you, it will be hard to find a better company to work for.

Cons

If you're non-consulting staff there is a divide and you will feel it. Consultants are the bread and butter of the company (it is a consulting firm, after all!) and you will be reminded of this occasionally. There is ALWAYS a ton of work to do which is great for opportunity but can kill your live/work balance if you let it. It's up to you.

Bain is a place that does meaningful, high impact work, with sharp focus on development of its consultants

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You are constantly learning and being challenged and stimulated in the work at Bain. The office-centric staffing model means that you develop a tight network within a close-knit office community and people are even more invested in your development. It's a merit-based culture that provides tons of opportunities to consultants in their case roles. The culture is second-to-none with a management team that cares about sustainability and making sure the job is workable and enjoyable for everyone. Bain is outgrowing its competitors which means there's tons of opportunity here.

Cons

There are currently a number of legacy clients with large, long-term programs, which means there's less variety of client work at any given time. Expectations are very high so you must be up to the challenge to push yourself beyond your comfort zone and always outperforming expectations. Work can be unpredictable and staffing does not always go your way.

You can't find a better first job.

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've never been around a group of people as highly motivated and yet intensely caring; people want you to succeed not just because it makes them look good, but because apprenticeship and mentorship are the lifeblood of the business. Relaxed, informal culture that gives you the opportunity and skills to succeed.

Cons

Long hours, and the fact that you are never the one creating something; the hallmark of success at this job is helping someone else succeed.

Keep doing what you're doing; as long as the business is growing and we are taking share, the opportunities will come and people will be happy.