Bain & Company

Bain & Company Reviews

Updated Apr 05, 2014

Bain & Company Worldwide Managing Director Bob Bechek

Bob Bechek

Pros:
  • "The work culture and work-life balance of teams here is much better than the other organizations I have worked with"
    in 24 reviews
  • "Great people who really care about both their colleagues and solving client problems"
    in 43 reviews
Cons:
  • "Work-life balance can be very hard to maintain in this career"
    in 74 reviews
  • "Although better compared to some other firms in this industry, still long hours"
    in 83 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Associate Consultant

Associate Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Pros- Great mentorship and focus on professional development. Everyone you work genuinely wants you to do well.
- They invest a lot in you for training.
- Great people and culture. Particularly in the Toronto office, it feels very close-knit.

Cons- Long hours and lack of sustainable work/life balance.
- Lack of clarity in staffing and opportunities to work in specific industries that you are interested in

Awesome people, great learning environment and impact.

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people you work with
The topics you work on

ConsHard job with high work load

Never stopped raising the bar, never stopped teaching me to grab it

Principal (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 8 years

ProsConstant escalation of my skills, but paired with a huge amount of support. I was always in over my head and there was always someone throwing me a life preserver and teaching me to swim.This has stayed true for 8 years.

Great culture, great people.

ConsGets stressful when you're close to a promotion point - though I admit this is most self-imposed!

Good company overall, though different experiences in regional office

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than a year

Prosstrong culture and nice, down to earth people...

Conshigh turnover translates to limited investment in mentorship

I learned a ton, and it is a great brand to have on my resume.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Bain & Company

Pros- Work hard surrounded by very bright and competent people
- Very high learning curve
- Good benefits and salary relative to consulting firms out of the top 3

Cons- They play on the emotional weaknesses of consultants to make them work harder
- Managers are promoted for being good client managers, not for managing teams well, so a lot of managers are not concerned with how their teams view them

Advice to Senior Management- I know it's not easy, but one of these days Bain is going to have to deal with the fact that it's not a very welcoming environment towards women past a certain tenure. Try as they might with women's dinners, etc, it still feels like an old boys club.

Great place to work

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company

ProsReally great people. I always feel inspired at Bain and get great proffessional development opportunities. We also get a lot of responsibility

ConsWork life balance can be an issue. Hard to know how tough a given week will be in advance so making social plan can be challenging.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement has managed downturn really well. I would make a push to enter government space give their greater involvement in corporate america.

The best job I've ever had

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsI am an Executive Assistant and absolutely love it. There is a tremendous investment on people here at Bain. That's important to feel especially in a support staff role. I feel empowered, encouraged and valued in my role. The work is always changing, and that keeps it fun and exciting. The focus on work life balance is unlike anything I've ever seen for EAs. Also, there are opportunities galore - if you are interested in learning a different industry - be it HR, IT, Recruiting, Marketing, etc, they take those desires seriously and will work to place you in that space.

ConsSecuring conference room space is getting difficult because we are growing so much!

Advice to Senior ManagementI am so impressed with your continuous improvement focus! Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you!

The BEST place to work

Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

ProsAs others have said, this place is full of amazing people. Interesting, high-impact work. There is no better place to start your career.

ConsHours can be long but it is possible to create a sustainable lifestyle

Awesome place to work!

New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAs a part of the Shared Services team at Bain, I am a strong promoter. The work culture and work-life balance of teams here is much better than the other organizations I have worked with. Employees feel valued and broad based benefits that are provided here are great. Most importantly, working at Bain is FUN :)

ConsI think the biggest challenge for shared-services employees is career progression and lack of a defined career path. A structured performance based growth plan is missing for most shared services teams.

Dynamic and challenging learning environment with top-notch people to support you

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople are engaged, smart and interested. Projects and teams are focused on results and driving real impact. You'll take on work that allows you to grow and learn and realize that you are learning a lot along the way. There are countless opportunities for advancement and growth (for your position, office).

ConsAlmost everyone is time constrained and focused on results, so this creates a constant flow of work that is never done and can pile up.

Worked for Bain & Company? Contribute to the Community!

Bain & Company Videos

Bain & Company – Why Work for Us?

At Bain, we help the world's top leaders solve their toughest challenges. Our work fuels the growth of many industries and positively impacts countless lives. So we select only the most exceptional colleagues with an… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Bain & Company reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Bain & Company CEO Bob Bechek. All 487 reviews are posted anonymously by Bain & Company employees.