Bacara Resort & Spa

Updated 11 September, 2014
3.5

Kathleen Cochran
1 Rating

Fun place to work during college.

Current Employee - Pool Server in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Pool Server in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at Bacara Resort & Spa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Casual, friendly environment with co-workers and even managers (usually). Wealthy guests led to generally good tips. Enough staff to get requested days off most of the time, except holiday weekends.

Cons

Sometimes a little too casual, especially for such a top-end resort. Also sometimes guests were pompous aholes, but not much you can do about that. Often work shifts up to 9 or 10 hours, but it's good money if you can handle it.

A company with many ups and downs.

I worked at Bacara Resort & Spa

Pros

The pay was very good for those without a college degree. I learned valuable skills related to customer service and team work.

Cons

Management is a bunch of greedy, power-hungry grease-bags who value nothing more than an extra dollar in their pocket.

Care more about employees needs when it comes to hours and taking time off.

gorgeous place to work, okay management

Current Employee - SPA Reservations Agent in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Current Employee - SPA Reservations Agent in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I have been working at Bacara Resort & Spa part-time (more than an year)

Pros

good money, especially if you are in a department where you can earn tips. gorgeous place to work.

Cons

difficult to get time off, but that's common in the hospitality industry. good training. management was often under-qualified, but this was past management.

Spa Reservation

Former Employee - SPA Reservations Agent in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - SPA Reservations Agent in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at Bacara Resort & Spa full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the best perks were the lunches we'd get provided to us - always good food after a big event! They even had a great holiday ball for employees and family.

Cons

It was hard to move up in the company. Our department especially had a high turnover rate. I believe they are under different management now so I'm sure things have changed.

Great college job

Former Employee - Sales Agent in Goleta, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Agent in Goleta, CA (US)

I worked at Bacara Resort & Spa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This was one of my favorite jobs I've had. I worked there all through out my college years. They were very flexible with working with my school schedule. The training is very thourough and managers are happy to coach you through difficult situations. While working there I tried out three ditfferent positions and enjoyed them all: Honor Bar, In Room Dining Sales Agent and I also worked in Banquets. Banquets was fun but very long hours. But once the paycheck came around it was all worth it. Some of the great perks of working at Bacara are: Celebrity sightings, free meals at the cafeteria, friendly staff, good pay, opportunity to move up/change positions, easy to make friends, fun place to work =D

Cons

Horribly ugly uniforms, have to work weekends, early morning shifts, and holidays, dealing with very difficult demanding guests

Quality of Service is No. 1 Here

I worked at Bacara Resort & Spa

Pros

Company culture was extremely pervasive from top to bottom. All staff were indoctrinated on how to provide the same high quality level of service.

Cons

Because quality of service was consistent on all levels, management tended to have a downsized role.

Expect much from your employees, and respond more in defense of their service when dealing with customers

Hopefully, the new management is better.

Former Employee - Executive Office
    Former Employee - Executive Office

I worked at Bacara Resort & Spa full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They paid well for Santa Barbara. Collegues were nice people. It's a pretty place to go to work.

Cons

A ruthless, New York real-estate mentality. Ownership enjoyed being cruel and making employees uncomfortable.

Awesome people that u can become lifelong friends with..but the work environment/culture on the property is stressful.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Barbara, CA (US)

I worked at Bacara Resort & Spa

Pros

This is a good place to get some valuable experience in the hospitality industry if you didnt get it elsewhere. HR seems to give most candidates a chance to be a part of the "BACARA" experience unless you are a complete screw up. They will provide you with uniforms, free meal, and the rare opportunity to check out the ranch and other amenities if you are on good terms with management. You will find alot of the staff to be UCSB undergrads sprinkled in with more seasoned professionals that probably came from Wyndham-Marriott or other large corporations seeking the independent hotel job. Also dont forget those in the typical housekeeping or banquets positions. One of the reasons I took a job here was because they also seem to pay slightly higher than other places that I had worked. Yes the property does sit next to the pacific ocean and is really beautiful despite vigorous walking you will do to get around the resort.

Cons

For an independent owned resort they make it feel very corporate in a not so good way. Eventually you begin to find out that they dont take paid time off requests very highly. They make it known that your life revolves around this resort even when you leave to go home. I knew many people that got "brainwashed" into the whole scam about the resort being the greatest thing that has ever been built. It is not unheard of to be speaking to someone that works for the property and listen to the way they come off since it is a way that is ingrained in them. I should know because I used to the same thing! The executive management team is comprised of various top level directors in different departments and they all share duties in managing the resort. Essentially, too many people makes it too top heavy! You wil also find that security for the resort to be overly intimidating. Security will go out of their way to make people visiting the beach near the hotel a pain in the rear end. Bacara also has a huge hang up with its image and reputation and because of this it is often common that things will be extremely hush hush with regard to the business of the resort. Many local residents are curious about the place and unfortunately the resort management and owners do the community a disservice by staying clouded in mystery. Does the word "militant" come to mind? You show up late for your shift and say one word and I can guarantee you that by the time you arrive to the property security and managers will be standing there to discipline you! Another thing that will come as a surprise is when you as an employee start making waves to get promoted or move into another department. All of a sudden your plans for transferring into the marketing/sales dept. is derailed because your managers out of the clear blue sky bring up that you have an infraction on your record stemming from a failed guest transaction that occured 8 months prior! Wait a second....as far as you remember they never wrote you up for an issue involving a guest 8 months ago? But then you also discover that the politics of getting the transfer also has to do with your home department not willing to let you go for whatever reasons? Welcome to the nonsense of working for this place!!!

None, I believe that I have stated enough information already!

Enjoyable, yet stressful place to work

I worked at Bacara Resort & Spa

Pros

Overall, Bacara was a nice place to work...the staff is for the most part, well polished and professional. Resort is gorgeous..

Cons

It can get very stressful on staff at some points due to guest/senior management requests and sometimes short/poor staffing. Run by a committee, which brings up the old saying: "too many cooks in the kitchen"

Bacara should really go back to the days when there was a Resort Manager instead of a Board of Managers who take turns "being" the Resort Manager.

Beautiful place to work, so-so management

Former Employee - Banquets Server
    Former Employee - Banquets Server

I worked at Bacara Resort & Spa

Pros

Excellent pay, great food in break room, beautiful location, friendly co-workers, laundry in-house so uniforms are always ready to go, and room for growth.

Cons

Not a lot of attention paid to time-off requests, very long hours, but other than that not a bad place to work.

N/A