BT

Updated 14 December, 2014
Updated 14 December, 2014
2.7

Gavin Patterson

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes (in 52 reviews)

• Very flexible in terms of being able to work from home/remotely if needed (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance (in 18 reviews)

• Performance management structure mean everyone is out for themselves creating a poor team environment (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Head of Portfolio Management

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Large and varied scope of work

Cons

Decisions are made by agreements among senior managers, who are distant for the customer and only focused the the 'numbers'

Let employees make decisions - they really know the customers and the market environment

Too much politics, lethargic management, and anarchic policies

Current Employee - Consultant in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Relatively good salary, Some projects are cutting edge

Cons

Lack of innovation, too much red tape, management sucks literally, sycophancy will take you far, skill set are no consideration when allocating work

Take skill set and aspirations into consideration before work allocation, Most of the employees are overloaded with work so look at stupid and crazy amount of work allocation

Technical Career dead-end

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Ipswich, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility in work arrangements. ( -although co-locations is now being enforced)
    No Big brother culture. ( -although that's changing with Continuous Improvement/LEAN introduction)
    Job security.

Cons

Huge outsourcing of techincal work to offshore contractors during mid-2000 has completely decimated the in-house knowledge and expertise. A lot of very good/world class engineers have left BT - glass ceiling exists for technical staff.

Line management completely dominated by HR, accountants, and spin merchants. The messengers get rewarded I would say disproprionately more at the expense of the actual doers than for other large organisations.

The actual time spent recordings what you do is full of glaring gaps. There are constant management initiatives and a lot of JFDIs from the poorer managers that do add to your workstack but are hidden/buried into existing project codes.

There is a lot of who you know rather than what you know going on.

Offshoring like crazy!

Current Employee - Finance Analyst/Accountant in Irving, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Finance Analyst/Accountant in Irving, TX (US)

I have been working at BT full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very flexible in terms of being able to work from home/remotely if needed. Everyone was very friendly in the Dallas office.

Cons

They offshored 80% of the Finance and Accounting jobs to India. The Americas CFO told us in a conference call that there would be extensive layoffs and we would be informed in the next 48 hours. Anyone that was left, had to interview for any remaining positions and hope they get picked. We have 3 months until our job is officially over. In the meantime, we have to train our replacements that will take our jobs in India. I really want to know how some guy in India, is going to do a Finance Manager's role which entails lots of writing and variance analysis.

Also, they make you pay money to every company event in order to attend. We had to pay $5, just to take part in the Thanksgiving potluck and Christmas party.

If you had these layoffs planned, then don't bother hiring new full-time workers less than a year before the layoffs and leading them on that they have a future with the company. That's what contractors are for.

Excellent employer - and working hard on continuous improvement

Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Great company that genuinely works hard to try to deliver what customers want, and delivers a product - telecoms and internet - that is in real demand.

- Sensible work-life balance: there's enough to keep you busy, but you're not expected to be a martyr to work.

- The company really tries to live its values.

Cons

- Flexible working isn't for everyone: many of us would prefer, rather than a 'virtual team', scattered across the UK, a real team, with an office and people you see and speak to every day, and with whom you can go for a drink after work. That said, such roles exist too, and therefore it is simply a question of applying, and being selected, for them.

- Inevitably, there must be cost savings. This is a consequence of being in a competitive industry in which other companies are vying for market share. This means that we need to evolve to tackle challenges. Sometimes the process of evolving makes people nervous, which causes tension - particularly in longer-serving, older workers who have seen it all before (or think they have...). I doubt this change aspect is any more so than any other major company though - and BT are arguably far better, as they don't make people redundant, they simply move them to a 'redeployment pool' from where they can apply for new jobs (which is a hangover of civil service/public sector days, but one which - regardless of its economic merits - makes for a far more humane employer).

I've been working for the company for 11 months, and I'm really impressed. The one thing I would definitely change is hiring policies: at present, hiring managers are artificially constrained to selecting new candidates from the redeployment pool within their own line of business (LoBs), then expanding the search to other LoBs, then advertising internally, then advertising externally. At each stage, managers can only progress to the next stage by rejecting all candidates. This prevents them from seeing (or advertising to) all possible candidates, and selecting the best. While commendable that the redeployment pool is prioritised, it does severely impact managers' autonomy, and the ability to select the best people for the job. Open competition is usually the best option, and I think that it would be here, too.

Good points and bad points: Solutions Designer

Current Employee - Solutions Designer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Solutions Designer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The major pro is job security as BT have never made people forcefully redundant. They pay is OK and I have done some interesting work in my time. Employes get free perks such as free broadband, BT vision, cheap calls from their company mobiles and I am one of the lucky ones that is registered as a flexible worker.

I know individuals that are still working in BT for the past 44 years.

ALP: Accredited Learning Pathways: These let individuals pick a professional training pathway and do include professional courses. They cover anything from visualization to project management.

Share save scheme: This is great as it allows individuals to save money before take and buy shares at the price they were 3 to 5 years ago. Some many BT employees invested in this when it was 60p and now the shares are worth around £3.60, so the people that invested £250 for fives can basically pay off there mortgage now. Even if the shares didn't go up in value they still could have take the money back, with interest, and wouldn't had to pay any tax on it..

I have always been paid on-time and engineers are paid well

Cons

* Home and Flexible working: - Over the past two years BT has changed people from home workers to office based workers as they say it improves communication from the staff. I do work from home some days, but I'm still based from an office.
    * T&S: - BT's policy on travel is now pretty much non-existent. Cheapest hotel, cheapest way of getting there, small allowance that doesn't even cover the cost of the night time meal. When I travel I'm basically paying for part of it, however I do have a few beers when I do.
    * Free broadband but no free line rental: You just feel that although you get free broadband there making money out of you as you have to buy the telephone line from them.
    * Work conditions: Where I work there are 6 desks, but there can be up to 12 people wanting one. H&S goes out the window with boxes and equipment left on the floor in this un-airconditioned office that sometimes reaches 31 degrees.
    * BT Vans: You either get one without air conditioning or a restricted vehicle. BT still buys vehicles today without air conditioning, which means those hard working engineers have to boil.
    * Career Progression: - This can be good if you know Juniper or Cisco as BT is a telecommunication company, but even though my skills are sort after outside, progression for me has been very difficult.
    * APR's and 1-2-1: The very worst thing about working for BT is the APR, DPR, & 1-2-1 process. You basically have to write war a piece to get an Achieving Standards grade to get your bonus. It is the most long winded, pointless thing I. Even if I have saved or made BT loads of money or done something special for your customer you are very hard pushed to be recognised and most times you get a graded depending on internal politics or internal budgets.

Change the following:
    Allow people to become home based workers again
    Simplify or remove the APR/DPR process. It's a waste of time!!!!
    Don't keep pushing to reduce T&S to a point that now body will travel.
    Put air con in the vans for the hard working engineers
    Give your workers free line rental or at least discounted line rental.

Keep up the good work with the following:
    ALP's
    Sharesave

Good company to start your career with. Excellent training.

Former Employee - IT Analyst Programmer in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - IT Analyst Programmer in London, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Training. Good starting salary. Friendly work environment. Good work life balance. I don't know what it would be like for Managers. Excellent canteen. I would recommend this company for a new graduate as it has a good reputation in the telecoms industry both nationally and globally.

Cons

Limited prospects for a successful career. Few opportunities for promotion.

Fast track the high performers into good management positions.

Clunky processes and systems, ok work life balance and pay

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- Generous annual leave and other benefits
    - Some flexible working though this will significantly decrease in the near future.
    - Pay is ok

Cons

- Dreadful blame attitude
    - Over-excitement at the launch of new initiatives, but lack of execution
    - Clunky and outdated internal systems and processes
    - Lack of development and career progression
    - Too many cling-ons who have been with the company for 25+ years and are useless but somehow impossible to get rid of
    - UK centric attitude despite harping on about being global
    - Dire performance management
    - Some low-level bullying and weak management

Good company, but you will be asked perform greater than your pay grade

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at BT full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good projects
    Huge learning curve
    You will love it as Geek
    Average Employee benefits like free phone, internet, leave requests, etc...

Cons

Employee have to focus on multiple things at the same time.
    Frequent change in role.
    Developers are asked to engage lot of paperwork with their strict development timelines.

Great benefits - pension, stocks, leave, free broadband.

Current Employee - Solution Architect in Oxford, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Solution Architect in Oxford, England (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great compassionate leave policy, generous annual leave (32.5 days + BH) matches pension up to 9% Share save sheme. Great training opportunities - industry recognised qualifications.

Cons

Performance management is a DIRE process. Have to write war and peace to justify bonus, recognition and reward in my area is low. Managers not interested or not using mechanisms for rewarding good work.

Please, please, rethink performance management and meritocracy; the pieces are there but line managers need to use them properly.

BT Photos

Headquarters of BT Group, housed in BT Centre, located in London (Photo attributed to Martin Addison - licensed under the CCL Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0)
Inside the office