BT

BT Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros
  • Not really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes(in 48 reviews)

• Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • work pressure on a higher side , might impact your work life balance(in 14 reviews)

• Senior management lack honesty and there can often be a culture of intimidation through abuse of performance management(in 27 reviews)

Overall OK .

Network Engineer (Current Employee) Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

ProsNot really good work life balance as Clients always keeps you on the toes .

ConsYou get a challenging environment .

Challenging in the consumer business unit

Head of Marketing (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsDemanding, meritocratic, challenging competitive market

ConsLack of diversity - very British especially at Senior levels

Advice to Senior Managementincrease diversity in employee body

mostly good experiences, decent work/life balance dependant on your manager

Specialist Technology Consultant (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

Proswork life balance
    opportunity to move around
    opportunity for different projects

Consnot a lot of staff churn so promotion is non-existent
    variable management culture

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Managing for Performance has taken over. Customer focus is diminishing.

Senior Sales Professional (Former Employee) Aberdeen, Scotland (UK)

ProsLarge organisation which will never be ignored by customers due to its credibility in uk telecoms. On paper the opportunity is there to earn bonus. There is access to a wide portfolio of IT products. There data networks in my opinion are second to none and are rated highly by gartner.

ConsJob roles are narrowly defined and many employee talents are not used. Support and knowledge of new product areas is scarce. service is suffering due to staff reductions and industry restructuring. Customers are becoming less important to the organisation. Bonuses are rarely paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus back on customer needs. Use the talents of your employees to their full potential.

You only get recognition for good work if you're one of the manager's "favourites" current service operation's employee

Service Operation's (Current Employee) Leeds, England (UK)

ProsAlthough I honestly can't think of many at all, I suppose it's just a currently stable company to work in really.

ConsUnless you happen to be one of management's favourite little darlings your contributions will not count. Any good work done either gets discredited or just gets ignored. Further to that you will soon find yourself in the DN category. Receive any corrective feedback at any point during the quarter even right at the end, don't be surprised if you actually get marked as U - unsatisfactory.

Working at BT has shown me that it's a bullying culture wriggled against me and designed to manage people out using the contradictory performance management system and HR. Unless you are a favorite with a pretty face. Also don't expect a decent pay increase. 2.5% really feels like being spat on or like a tramp being given 2 pence by a rich egotistical biggot despite hard work done. BT really does everything on the cheapest of the cheap, which really isn't surprising for a company with a 30 Billion pound debt (probably due to all the fines by Ofcom).

Employees are seldomly encouraged and inspired to help them want to do better. They just get ignored, discredited and demoralised - unless a little favorite pet of management's.

So far I have not come across one person who has said they like their services provided by BT. Friends, family and random people have all said they can't wait to move to a different provider. Slow Internet speeds, repulsively bad customer service, over charged and the list goes on.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you just ensured your employees were happy and made to feel valued and appreciated, so will our customers and shareholders also. Remember it's not just about what you do but how you do it also.

Talented technical team with a mix of management capability and confusing strategy

Programmer Manager (Former Employee)

ProsBig projects = big challenges, loads of interesting work around
    Great technical people, albeit some of them freelance rather than permie
    Work with good technology, don't run things on a shoestring

ConsPeople manager setup is bizarre
    Very strange performance reviews
    There are on or two VPs who are gibbering lunatics
    3000 colleagues are sat "on the bench"

Advice to Senior ManagementFind some new markets to point Global Services at and clarify the strategy for everybody

It is what you make of it...

Principal Consultant (Current Employee) Irving, TX (US)

ProsBT is company where you make what you want out of your work. As a Consultant in the Advise organization I have seen two classes of individuals in the field. Those who expect everything to be handed to them and those who find the opportunities within and without. Those who expect everything to be handed to them usually are unhappy when they aren't given work or the next steps... (but note are happily still cashing their six figure paychecks for "sitting on the bench") then their are those who work hard and find ways to be involved in areas of business and product development, these people treat every assignment like it is in front of the customer and are always looking for ways to contribute more and help out. I put myself in this category. Have had tremendous opportunities come my way to work with some of the top talent on the top companies in the world.

ConsThe fragmented nature of the organization is challenging and creates a drag on some of our more innovative projects. Internal chargeback is a mess.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn all honesty, cut the fat, get rid of those long term bench sitters, better reward those who are actually putting the time and effort to "build the cathederal".

Want a crash course in dirty office politics ? JOIN HERE

ProsNone... unless you consider work life balance coz ..that Managers are least concerned about performance management nor is there any attendance tracking system.. nor is the leave tracking system ever accurate...
    if you consider buttering and sucking up and spending weekends with so called unethical leaders for better hikes and promotions a pro without ever doing any ounce of productive work..then this is your kind of place..

ConsSalary structure is a hoax.. they pay less than market standards.. esp when you condsider your take home.. deductions for office transport.. god knows why for a place like Gurgaon? No career mapping or growth path.. it is all dependent on who you have weekend connections with ... Leadership - the word has a no meaning here.. leaders have no clue what really goes on on the ground,, it is just a' big old grumpy frustrated old boys club'

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a life and stop spying on youngters on facebook and if you can ... spend some money hiring a decent consultants to tell you what is actually wrong with the company
    If you want cost transformation, then start with unneccessary benefits and fat salaries first !

kind of service based with good brand

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Proscan find some of the best of industry talents around you

Consin brief, 95% of the cons mentioned for india division are so true. major cons: vendor teams in different locations, rock age technologies with no technical growth. week end support for non production environments, less team members more work pressure

Management factory

Business Improvement Consultant (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsHome working
    The right values and policies for a healthy working environment (though these are regularly ignored in practice)

ConsSenior management lack honesty and there can often be a culture of intimidation through abuse of performance management. Your job satisfaction in BT is really down to which manager you have and this changes every 6 months on average.

The company often loses sight of the customer and this can be very frustrating. Ultimately, the apparent purpose of BT is to create more managers and to protect those already in place. I was a senior manager and saw this from the inside.

Advice to Senior ManagementDesign your processes and all aspects of delivery around customers. It's so much more motivating to work in a company that places customers first, trusts staff to get on with delivering what common sense tells them is right and has the maturity to move away from a command and control management culture.

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!