BT

BT Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

BT Chief Executive Ian Livingston

Ian Livingston

Pros:
  • "Best work/life balance of any company I've ever worked for"
    in 39 reviews
  • "Great work life balance and ability to work from home to be more effective"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "no work life balance, you may get leave but will be working on vacation also"
    in 12 reviews
  • "Senior management too accountant-heavy meaning the focus is on costs and not revenue"
    in 22 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

career progression

Strategy Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 5 years

Proswork - life balance; nice people

Conslow salary and strict policy on reward and promotions

Advice to Senior Managementinvest more into growing people internally and retain talents

Ok

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BT

ProsBenefits, Some good people, Nothing

ConsNot concerned about employees
Poor moral

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your people

Overall great company to work for, though it does have its ups and downs

Head of Business Development (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBroad range of opportunities, variety, range of business activities, range of customers of all shapes and sizes, staff development, many of the people, flexible working policies. When the business does focus on a specific objective, it is good at motivating its people to achieve that and miracles can happen.

ConsInternal politics is a strong negative. The legacy of public service culture, whilst there are many opportunities, it is not as easy as you might think to access them and move across the company. Often seems very bureaucratic and slow, it is a very large company. Frequent reorganisations.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer and supporting your people to deliver and not on internal politics and building fiefdoms.

BT Americas, Inc is a great company to work for.

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at BT full-time for more than a year

ProsFor a large company regulated company, they get how to do business. They treat their employees with respect and compensate them above the market rate.

ConsThey are limited in network product offerings as North America is not built out at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do not have the sales resources to bring in the many opportunities in certain areas of the country.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Corporate organisation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BT as a contractor

ProsInteresting products and services to work on.

ConsMiscommunication with to many layers from top to bottom.

Advice to Senior ManagementLike the japanese structure with MD and Team Leaders and Team Members.

Good company to work for

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsShare scheme, well paid, annual bonus provided targets are met

ConsExpected to work long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider more work life balance for senior roles

Nice friendly company to work

Test Lead (Former Employee)
Watford, East of England, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time for more than 3 years

Prosno politics is played by management

Consnot easy to commutable to remote locations

Advice to Senior Managementtry to increase customer satisfaction

Great company but lost its way encouraging Toxic Management

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time for more than 10 years

ProsI have worked for company since leaving school, had a great career experiencing many roles and have received a lot of support on professional and personal development. BT was up to 5 years ago a good place to work with committed people. I have developed myself through skills and experience and have over many years worked my way up through the hierarchy.
The benefits of working for BT have been good. Salary and share saves provide what is expected from such a large company and there have been opportunities to change career focus.

ConsThe culture has changed significantly over past 10 years, with the last 5 being significant with a growth in 'toxic management' activity and high incidents of covert bullying and harassment especially at the middle management layers as the company reduces it's costs.
No concept of 'team working' despite management rhetoric, it is each person for themselves which is reinforced by misused performance management and personal bonus activity. My experience is of a command and control culture which is a consequence of poor skilled managers. Performance management is an industry in BT with quarterly reviews, forced distribution curves and a heavy focus on the bottom 10% where there is a drive to force people out of the company by whatever means available. If your face does not fit then you will be managed out by any means that can be applied. Settlement Agreements are used to cover up poor people management practices and people are classed as 'labour cost' which is traded and used to support the large number of thiefdoms in the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are losing your better employees with the way that you encourage your managers to operate. This was once a great company to work for where it was a pleasure to come to work and collaborating with 'like minded' others fostered positive change and a difference could be made. The me, myself and I culture driven by misused performance management and bonus culture which drives self fulfilment at any cost continues to destroy this company which is a real shame. The focus on short-term gain at the cost of longer-term organisational and people development to grow the business is misplaced.

Public sector with a corporate badge

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at BT as a contractor

ProsLooks good on your CV ( opens doors)
Free broadband
Ok pension scheme
Good for Graduates
Shares scheme

ConsBT is company that is in decline and lacks innovation and only appears interested in keeping its shareholders happy rather than its customers. Customer service to their customers is shocking with everything outsourced offshore with appalling service.

Old school public sector mentality still prevails. It was like working for the public sector, only difference is they are on the FTSE 100.

Everything is cheap cheap, torn up furniture at BT centre ( Banyard house is shocking) with technology from the dark ages ( cheap blackberry's and brick laptops)

They do not care about their staff, with a culture of bullying, backstabbing arrogant and egotistical people some who are very unpleasant. The performance management was a joke which is designed to manage people out as BT do not have a redundancy policy. Every seemed to be designed to catch you out.

If your face does not fit and your not part of the click you will be in the "development needed" category. I saw competent hard working people who had worked really hard marked down for no other reason than they were not part of the click.

It was wrong.

The people who were decent just kept their heads down and looked henpecked and worn out, Slaves to the final pension scheme and instituationalised.

Don't dare show any confidence or swagger or you will very quickly be bullied.

If you a graduate BT is a good place to start off. If you are professional coming into BT beware. The right team is essential for success.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop the bullying and backstabbing culture. Get your HR into gear and look after your customers instead of looking at the cheapest way to save money at the cost of your customers.

Stress

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at BT full-time

ProsJoinmed straight from school. It was a "safe" job and before privatisation the company stuck to it's values of giving good service to it's customers.

ConsStress all the time and managers with no clue. Giving very poor service to customers and blaming engineers for everything

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to remember what they're there for. Giving customers good service. At the moment most of the managers are idiots.

Worked for BT? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BT reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BT CEO Ian Livingston. All 271 reviews are posted anonymously by BT employees.