BJ's Restaurants
www.bjsrestaurants.com Huntington Beach, CA 5000+ Employees

BJ's Restaurants Reviews

Updated Apr 17, 2014

Greg Trojan

Pros:
  • "and the people who come in are generally there to have a good time and enjoy good food"
    in 9 reviews
  • "If you're a server it's short shifts with good money"
    in 8 reviews
Cons:
  • "You have a script to follow and secret shoppers come in to grade you, if you don't say the right things you could be fired"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Along with long hours the company has become almost praise-less"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hard work and busy but good money

Trainer (Former Employee)
Folsom, CA (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent food that sells itself and an expansive menu of great drinks. Always a busy and staffed with a fun outgoing team. Managers are usually very understanding and are willing to work with servers or help out. Great computer system. Good money.

ConsVery busy and hard work. Training programs are implemented well in some locations but not so well in others. When implemented well, it's a great training program. However, servers are required to meet quite a few steps of service with each table which can be stressful in a busy environment. Managers are frequently under a lot of stress and tired due to long hours which can affect the whole team.

Advice to Senior ManagementRestructure class for trainers to ensure that employees are being trained properly. Work to relieve stress from managers in order to increase the quality of the work environment for whole teams. Decrease server steps or give servers more flexibility - it's too much for busy servers and often overwhelming for the guest.

Hard Work, No Team Structure, Still A Fun Job

Busser (Former Employee)
Brea, CA (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time for less than a year

Pros- Servers were fun to talk to and connect with
- Managers were relaxed and very easy to talk to
- Always something to do at work: roll silverware, clean tables, make sure there is silverware on tables, clean and organize silverware
- Kitchen manager at my location showed passion for what he did and made sure his team, including myself was alright
- Free food sometimes, ex: "dead" pizookie

Cons- Bussers weren't a team, we all relied on self-performance and didn't act like a team
- Bussers and servers were sketchy of each other with paying out of tips
- Unrealistic expectation of cleaning and setting tables within two minutes
- No regard to safety in terms of reducing stress on the body (as a busser)

Advice to Senior Management- Better training in terms of lift with your legs and not your back as some people. like myself, weren't taught how to lift properly
- If you haven't done my job, don't tell me how to do it, because no matter how much you read about my job and see my work ethic, you can not criticize me unless you've done the deed
- Better communication with bussers as a team. Show them how to be a team, one busser can not change the restaurant

You can make money

Frederick, MD (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for less than a year

ProsLots of training, can make money, nice restaurant, foods good. Appearance is everything. The managers actually help when there is an issue with a guest.

ConsLazy coworkers, long hours, sometimes too many rules, sometimes over staffed. The music is loud and it is hot in the restaurant. Its new so its still getting the kinks out

Fun environment, but attracts terrible clientele.

Orange, CA (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than a year

ProsThe company is up to date with technology and has a wide variety of all types of food and beer. They have many locations and are continuing to grow. I always get time off when requested. Coworkers usually get along well and enjoy working.

ConsThe uniform is terrible. White long sleeve button up shirt and a bistro apron so long it reaches my ankles. The newer locations kitchens need a lot more work. Ticket times are up to 30, sometimes 40 minutes when its busy and sometimes they even mess up the item. The kitchen staff is rude to the servers. The 5 hour break violation is ridiculous. They need to promote their beer more since they consider themselves to be a "brewhouse"

Advice to Senior ManagementUniforms for servers and food runners should be changed back to all black. We should not be required to claim 12% of our sales in tips even if we didn't make 12% of our sales. Being taxed on money you didn't even earn is wrong. Also, "my pleasure" is corny and embarrassing to say to every guest. Stop trying to turn us into robots and allow us to be ourselves, we were hired for who we are, not who you want to create.

Stay away from this restaurant!

Pinellas Park, FL (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for less than a year

ProsPossibility to make good money if your a closing server. Coworkers make the work environment tolerable. Great scheduling system.

ConsPoor management. No communication between managers, kitchen, and servers= frustrated customers blaming you, the server, and lower tips. Incompetent managers who are nowhere to be found when you need them.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo a more thorough job training your managers and selecting more motivated individuals.

Research the specific location before applying.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants

ProsI worked as a regional trainer at 3 different BJ's locations and it ALL has to do with which branch you're at. Great fast pace work environment with interesting co workers everytime. If you're a server it's short shifts with good money.

ConsNot so organized. Keep in mind, this only applies to one of the three locations I worked at. before you apply, go in and ask the employees their honest opinion. If not you could be getting yourself into a work environment that you weren't expecting.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep everything organized. The moment it falls apart your team loses efficiency and overall revenue goes down.

Cares about making money, doesn't care if you make money.

Bartender (Current Employee)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has kept a strong customer base through the recession. Many of your fellow team members will be nice to work with.

ConsThere is constant micro managing, corporation "one for all and all for none" some policies or procedures do not make logical sense in every restaurant but they are mandatory blanket changes for all restaurants. The company has no program for progressing current employees, they want to string you along forever. There is no way to increase your base pay. The company values profits over everything!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees also bring in business, I would recommend remembering that they are people too and need money to live off of just like you do. Happy employees make a more productive and pleasant work environment, this means your guest with want to come back.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Huge opportunities at BJ's

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Downey, CA (US)

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay, lots of growth opportunities for this fast growing concept

ConsLong hours, long long hours.

Dreadful

Server (Former Employee)
Round Rock, TX (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time for more than a year

ProsNothing really. Good promotions sometimes but you are up against everyone in your state.

ConsHorrible clientele, horrible management, horrible flexibility, horrible training

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease work on everything

Salinas location is the worst!!

Front of House Server Trainer (Former Employee)
Salinas, CA (US)

I worked at BJ's Restaurants part-time for less than a year

ProsMade decent money occasionally, some awesome coworkers

ConsLarge tip outs considering tips at this location were 10% or less based on the clientele, horrible guests, bad management that rarely kept employees in the loop and were disrespectful (cursing at employees is never ok), extremely corporate environment where you do everything by script in case a secret shopper comes in, lazy coworkers, and management did whatever they could to get you off the clock if you were anywhere near 40 hours of work in a week. Plus NO benefits even though they act like it's a perk of the job when you get hired... But this is only the case if you work 40 hours. Which you never will. Oh, and no upward mobility unless you're friends with the managers. I also had a closing shift nearly every night, which entails way more cleaning than any other restaurant I've ever worked for. And despite requesting two weeks vacation two months in advance and having it approved, I was still scheduled shifts during my vacation. Which is when I decided to give my two-weeks' notice. Literally had no life while working for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management, consider checking in on your managers at each location more often. This place is inefficient, dirty, and I will never eat there again knowing how they treat their servers. And also do more research before you open a new restaurant. A location may make corporate money, but it won't make the staff any tips due to poor tips from clientele. I've never seen so much turnover (even in a restaurant) in my life.

Worked for BJ's Restaurants? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BJ's Restaurants reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BJ's Restaurants CEO Greg Trojan. All 147 reviews are posted anonymously by BJ's Restaurants employees.