BB&T

BB&T Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King

Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

its alright

Prosgrowth in market, higher than average pay

Consnon-competitive products. Management is way to busy establishing the region to pay attention to individual growth

Advice to Senior Managementemployee retention is key

In theory, a great company; however too many managers get in the way.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood training, value of higher education

Conslower pay for women, poor management

BBT its all bad...I think your experience depends on which branch you get assigned to.

Teller (Former Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsGood Salary & Excellent benefits

ConsWeak/poor training. Organizational culture varies drastically from branch to branch. The particular branch I worked at in my opinion was awful!

Advice to Senior Managementbetter training process! Upgrade the technology, still processing transactions like its 1999.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

OK place to work

Personal Banker II (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL (US)

ProsThe products that they provide to customers work well for being a conservative bank. They have a very intuitive training program and they really want you to learn their company values and what they provide to their clients. Benefits are pretty good also.

ConsCompensation is not up to par for what you are demanded of. When they moved into South Florida, I don't think they did a good job of transitioning into that market. They try to force client's to their values and if the client doesn't like it, it's like they didn't care. Also there was really no support for their employees. Upper management is terrible when it comes down to getting support to the front line workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more flexibility to the branches. Allow the managers to be able to make the right decisions for their clients and not jump through hoops to do the right thing.

I'm over it

Relationship Banker (Current Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsYou get brainwashed into thinking that your health benefits, 401k match, pension, and vacation overshadow the lack of common sense that desperately needs tending to. If you work with a great branch, it can make the workload bearable. I have worked with some very nice people, and I have had the opportunity to work in high volume branches. The company had so much potential back in 2005 when I first started. They made you think your actions were for the client, for the established relationship, and for everyone's well being. Over the past years, they have bought out other banks to keep pace with the bigger banks. It is producing a negative effect. We use to have stock options, appreciation weeks, and an overall feeling of gratitude from management.

ConsBB&T is turning into the "bigger, badder bank." Constant restructuring of employees, budget cuts, manic hiring sprees and then freezes, and pressure for high sales had made this place a dreadful place to work. I use to love my job. Now it's turning into a daily threat of job security, while the middle of the pack works to support management, and the workload is not returned. They spend money on a worthless "video game" and then cut the budget so tight we can't even buy candy in the branch for the clients. There is no room to advance except for branch management. They hire IRM partners from external sources instead of training their own and then expect those same partners to have the values that get drilled into the existing staff day after day. So the people that stay and want to move up in the company don't have anywhere to go. It's all about what is new and shiny, and at the end of the day, it is a mens' club, or the good old boy network. Period.

Advice to Senior ManagementObviously we have left the days of John Allison. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? You want to be like the other banks you always frowned upon, or are you waiting to get bought out by someone else? How can you expect customer service to be at 100% when you leave branches short staffed and underpaid?

Great Employees

Relationship Teller (Current Employee) Clearwater, FL (US)

ProsGreat training, good banking experience, great atmosphere

ConsWork to hard for minimum pay, short staff, no overtime. Too demanding on sales, not good commission.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to hire more staff for branches. Need to care more about peoples need instead of caring about sales.

A once great company and is imploding from within

@ Work Officer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people but they are leaving as fast as they can

ConsNo room for advancement
    Focus is not on job well done but numbers/ revenue only

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to John Allison's way of thinking .....the current way is obviously not working

Stressful, a lot of change, no work life balance

ProsFlexible time, good leaders who communicate well.

ConsSales Officers don't adhere to rules

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployee retention should be a top priority.

It provided mediocre income and decent benefits while waiting on something better to come along.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Whiteville, NC (US)

ProsThe benefits are good and the income is decent for the area.

ConsAllows pseudo-nepotism and blatant favoritism to occur simply because certain relationships are outside the "textbook definition" of nepotism. (Whiteville-Call Center) Also, allows the aforementioned employees to stay on the clock for personal business that benefits themselves and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would suggest looking into the familial ties in your New Accounts and Chat Department in the Whiteville Call Center, because allowing it to continue to go on will eventually result in a lawsuit.

Relationship banker II

Relationship Banker II (Current Employee) Wytheville, VA (US)

ProsBeing able to help people achieve economic success and financial security

ConsCan sometimes seem overwhelming with the work load

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. It's worked since 1872!

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!