BB&T Reviews

Updated 27 April, 2015
624 reviews filtered by

1. Earn your seat at the Micromanagement Table

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Retirement Match, Insurance, Banking hours

Cons

Micromanagement, Dated methods of thinking, Telemarketing

Advice to Management

Need fresh ideas, don't stretch current employees too thin, value your current relationships with employees and clients, stop buying more banks and start making the ones you have quality

2. Teller

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Co-workers & paid federal holidays

Cons

Working Saturdays wasn't fun; Paranoia of frequent branch audits from corporate.

Advice to Management

The job was great. I'd recommend BB&T for anyone that wants a career in banking. Management really cares about its employees.

No room for growth

Former Employee - Market Leader
    Former Employee - Market Leader

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Benefits were not bad, they still offer pension.

Cons

no opportunity for growth. short staffed, moving towards 100% sales. vacation is 10 days for 5 years after 5th year you get another week for the next 5 years. there is definitely a buddy buddy system, you are either in the man club or your not, if you are in you will grow and have a lot of opportunity if not good luck! and managers, upper managers do not know how how to do any of the work they are asking the employees to do.

Advice to Management

Stop looking at a piece of paper to determine if someone is performing well or not, there are a lot of employees who work SLOW and look good on paper when in reality the rest of the team have to pick up the extra load making them work harder resulting in more errors or less time to sale. don't give empty promises to hard working employees. Value your employees because with out them you would not have a running company.

Mixed review as employee but a great place to be a client.

Current Employee - Client Facing Administrative to Wealth
    Current Employee - Client Facing Administrative to Wealth

I have been working at BB&T full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed working at BB&T Wealth in re: my internal partners from Trust Ops., Commercial Lending, Financial Planning, Portfolio Managers, etc.

If you're looking for great Benefits, look no further.

Cons

Don't expect advancement or a promotion at age 45+ if you are a female... it's quite difficult. You might find the atmosphere turns unpleasant. Sort of a 'how dare you' attitude. Most of the client facing key players in BB&T Wealth are in their 30's (mostly male and a few female); except management, most of whom are mid 40's - 60's and almost all male.

They're salary offer will be a bit lower than you may expect... my suggestion ask for an extra week of vacation:)

Advice to Management

to: Upper Management

I sought advancement so that I could have a more mentally stimulating and content challenging career. Also so I could make more money to provide a better lifestyle for myself and my family, save for retirement, rent a beach house for a week in the summer, enjoy my hobby, etc.

You are not giving women over 45 years of age opportunities for advancement in BB&T Wealth.

I'd suggest you add oversight so that your mostly male (mostly middle aged) managers do not overlook women in the 45+ age group. And you need to create a Liaison role where that person can coordinate with HR and hiring managers when they have an internal qualified candidate in my age group. You need to set clear guidelines and expectations for that person. Managers need to have support from upper management and the resources available just like they do when they bring on the younger person.

*I don't think you should rely on your recruiting team to assist my age group. I found them to be disinterested, indifferent or rude (not returning phone calls). I think they receive mixed messages from management as to what their role is. I don't think they know how to help my age group navigate within the system. I think they don't champion my age group well with internal managers looking to fill a position. I think they receive no incentive to be helpful. I think they have no oversight themselves. I think many internal managers pushed to meet goals are less likely to hire someone in my group. I think because this is happening management is responsible for making a change.

Don't lose sight of the fact that we add value. I found that female customers confided in me, trusted my opinion and counted on me to follow through with everything I promised. The majority of these female customers: 1) make the financial decisions for their family (as I do in mine), and 2) will outlive their husbands and inherit the assets. Get my drift? It would be very safe to say the male customers found me just as competent!

6. Sneaky but productive

Former Employee - Teller Part Time in Jacksonville, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Teller Part Time in Jacksonville, FL (US)

I worked at BB&T part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Productive environment.
    Good entry level skills training.
    Pay is better than most.

Cons

Management will crush you if you disagree.
    Old school thought process.
    Sales leads often already worked.

Advice to Management

Clean up retail level and alleviate power tripping micro-management.

7. I had a good experience as a contractor.

Current Contractor - Operations in Durham, NC (US)
    Current Contractor - Operations in Durham, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

The department I worked in had flexibility with hours and working remotely if needed.

Cons

It was only a contract job.

8. The BB&T Workplace

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

There is a healthy amount of work-life balance. There are times when the work load can be demanding, but for the most part if you can manage your own schedule it's easy enough. They have great benefits and culture.

Cons

Salaries are lower across the board compared to competitors or cross-industry positions.

9. Great people and atmosphere. Unattainable goals.

Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Lauderhill, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker in Lauderhill, FL (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really enjoy working in this company. Mainly because while they are a bank and the point of being a banker is sales, they really do try to focus on providing the clients with the best possible form of customer service.
    401k, 2 weeks vacation, paid holidays

Cons

Not all clients will have an account to best fulfill their needs... leading to conflicts.
    Branches are understaffed.

Advice to Management

While I do understand that the bank spends money on training and guaranteeing customer service, they should stop charging such steep fees. this leads to bad word of mouth and conflicts in branches.

10. Going down the tubes

Current Employee - Branch Banker III in Charlottesville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker III in Charlottesville, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people work in the branches, full benefits at 20 hrs/week, most clients are sweethearts

Cons

Management has lost touch with reality in regards to expectations for sales goals. The pressure is insane, and no one has the gumption to stand up and say "No, that's not realistic."

Advice to Management

Get back in the branches and rediscover what happens there. You're far too out of touch with your lower-level associates, and they'll be leaving in droves if you keep up this behavior.

11. Overpromise Underdeliver

Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Fairfax, VA (US)

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Cannot recall any Pros to working at BBT

Cons

In the interview management overpromises on salsary and bonus.