BB&T

Updated 20 November, 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 45 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 13 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

The experience at BB&T has been a nice company to work for and has opportunities for advancement if you apply yourself.

Current Employee - Teller in Mechanicsville, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Teller in Mechanicsville, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy the holidays and benefits that come with the job. The hours are always a plus for me since I came from working in retail. The people I work with are supportive and helpful.

Cons

The staffing is an issue from time to time. They don't always follow through with certain things that they say they will assist you with. The changes occurring in the company are so frequent that you have to constantly adjust.

Try minimizing all the changes that are implemented at one time and show more appreciation for your employees on a consistent basis.

If you're under the right management, its a great place to work with great opportunities.

Former Employee - Teller in Richmond, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Teller in Richmond, VA (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

BB&T is a solid company/bank that isnt going anywhere anytime soon. The benefits are GREAT! Salary is okay. Higher then most banks.

Cons

Depending on what branch you are in, dont think about having a life of the weekends. They will make you work every Saturday even when it is suppose to be 'rotated'.

Great Company and Values

Current Employee - Accountant in Winston-Salem, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Accountant in Winston-Salem, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

BB&T has exceptional benefits, treats their employees well and genuinely cares about giving back to the community.

Cons

You typically do a job for 2-ish years before you are appropriately compensated for it.

This is a great company to work for.

Former Employee - Business Service Assistant in Reno, NV (US)
    Former Employee - Business Service Assistant in Reno, NV (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

BB&T gives employees excellent training and the company provides great benefits There is always someone to contact to assist employees and customers when needed. I enjoyed my time with the company and would love an opportunity to return.

Cons

The company is based on the east coast and opted not to maintain offices in Nevada.

I believe the company could grow and proper in the Nevada market.

Run. Run far far away from this bank, or any other, unless you are not in a retail bank position.

Current Employee - Branch Banker IV in South Florida, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Banker IV in South Florida, FL (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than an year)

Pros

100% match to 6% for 401K, still has a pension, if you can stomach making this place your life.

Cons

Low pay for the level of work expected of you. HR is a nightmare. Management is ridiculous in every single thing they do or say. Internal promotions are almost non existent. Filled with people with low to average intellect. Majority of the staff is female and most will not hesitate to stab you in the back to try to get ahead.

BB&T is a well respected company in other markets. In South Florida, BB&T is either an unknown, or thought of as a low class banking institution. Make as many changes as you can, and it would probably help to fire 80% of the current staffing.

My co-workers were like family.

Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Fayetteville, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Fayetteville, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My hours were pretty set, and my supervisor was awesome at scheduling. I really enjoyed the clients as well.

Cons

Huge emphasis on selling products, and large turnover.

Have a better system for float or fill in tellers.

Good place to work

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Great people to work with.

Cons

Communication was lacking at times.

Very pleasant. Adored my job until recently.

I have been working at BB&T full-time

Pros

The pros to working for BB&T are that if you are at least 30 hours, you do get some benefits that FT do. The paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, 401k, health insurance is great. Most of the people that they hire have proven to be ethical. It is a very sound and solid company surviving The Great Depression and was one of the first banks to repay the bailout because we didn't need to be bailed out.

Cons

A few cons to be noted is the fierce cut back on hiring and the amount of pressure and responsibilities Corp higher ups are placing on the branch staff. SELL!!SELL!!SELL!! And with all the federal regulations, the BB&T I was hired to work for no longer has the Community Bank feel with the benefits of a BIG Bank. You can't miss a day anymore without worrying that you are going to lose your job because we are so short staffed. I don't see how they can cut anymore and they really should be recognizing how people are dropping like flies due to these issues. No work life balance at all!! Former associates that have left for smaller banks or other professions are happier than they have been in a long time.

I really hope that you didn't realize until just now by reading this, just how bad so many of us at the branch level now DESPISE the jobs we once loved so much. We talk about it all the time about how it breaks our hearts that once, we were excited to come to work, but now, we lay in bed in the mornings dreading what the day will bring and more than once or twice a week cry on our ways either to or from there. It's really sad and I am sorry that the government is running BBT through the wringer, but the REALITY that you expect, isn't real at all. You've lost a lot of really good people to smaller banks, guys, and replacing them with underhanded branch level leadership... I am seeing now why so many Americans HATE BANKERS and sadly, now, I want out, too. But just out of Banking Period. Brand new industry is calling. Thanks for the good memories, but I'll never have a good taste in my mouth due to living the nightmare.

Too many politics

Former Employee - Semi-technical In Nature
    Former Employee - Semi-technical In Nature

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Better than average benefits. Solid overall company that is not going bankrupt any time soon.

Cons

Difficult to move to other departments. Too many games played, once it's determined that you're not happy in your current department. The fraternity boy types are rewarded with managerial jobs, because they all golf and hang out together, or they've found their way into a manager's heart higher up the food chain. If you tell the truth, and it is determined that management is culpable, it will be ignored or you will be ostracized. Great place to be a manager, as long as you're good at the social game, brown-nosing, and politicking (as long as you're aligned with the people that win that game, otherwise you'll eventually be shown the door or be pigeon-holed into a dead-end career). Technology is a bit limited, and they've taken all of their training dollars away, except for "important" resources like developers making their highest visibility tool.

Listen to your employees when they complain, and make real changes. Provide training, or your employees' skill sets will become stagnant. Realize that you have a real problem in some of your departments as it pertains to management. If employees in a given division are complaining about their management, they can't ALL be wrong, can they?

Great Company, Bad Management

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, Great Peak health program that helps pay for insurance. Training programs

Cons

Working on Saturdays, Management is less than Good. No two branches are the same. Its not easy to advance if you are a woman, Cutbacks and hiring freezes are constantly hurting the teller line which hurts the clients. I work at a very small branch that is used to the same people, but since i have been here we are on our 3rd RB (now BB) lost multiple bodies here that are not replaced. Many branches have been severely hurt by the latest "cut backs". We do not feel important as a team. We used to have Teller appreciation week every year but that has stopped and we are not even recognized anymore. If we are the "FACE" of BB$T then we should be shown that we are cared about. We feel undervalued and overlooked. Morale is down to almost 0%!!

Take a Good look at your Market leaders. They are not doing the job you think they are. They are cutting out early on days they shouldn't, and not going on "sales calls". Instead they are using that time to do personal things.Look at the smaller branches that you are hurting with these cutbacks. The more you cut back the less people are walking in the door. They have lost their trust in us as a company. And bring the goals down to a more realistic number. Smaller branches can not do the same as these larger branches do.