BB&T Reviews

Updated 23 October, 2014
3.2

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 31 reviews)

• Decent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company (in 44 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Schedule was flexible and manager was family friendly

Cons

I was a contractor so lack of benefits was the only con.

Too many politics

Former Employee - Semi-technical In Nature
    Former Employee - Semi-technical In Nature

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Better than average benefits. Solid overall company that is not going bankrupt any time soon.

Cons

Difficult to move to other departments. Too many games played, once it's determined that you're not happy in your current department. The fraternity boy types are rewarded with managerial jobs, because they all golf and hang out together, or they've found their way into a manager's heart higher up the food chain. If you tell the truth, and it is determined that management is culpable, it will be ignored or you will be ostracized. Great place to be a manager, as long as you're good at the social game, brown-nosing, and politicking (as long as you're aligned with the people that win that game, otherwise you'll eventually be shown the door or be pigeon-holed into a dead-end career). Technology is a bit limited, and they've taken all of their training dollars away, except for "important" resources like developers making their highest visibility tool.

Listen to your employees when they complain, and make real changes. Provide training, or your employees' skill sets will become stagnant. Realize that you have a real problem in some of your departments as it pertains to management. If employees in a given division are complaining about their management, they can't ALL be wrong, can they?

New management in Processing/Underwriting with no knowledge of Mortgage experience and implements unnecessary processes that doesn't pertain to the job.

Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Greer, SC (US)
    Former Employee - Mortgage Loan Processor in Greer, SC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Only working 8 hours and good benefits.

Cons

No overtime, horrible salary, horrible management, inexperience associates.

Learn your role and mortgage guidelines. Don't be stupid!!

Great Company, Bad Management

Current Employee - Teller
    Current Employee - Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful benefits, Great Peak health program that helps pay for insurance. Training programs

Cons

Working on Saturdays, Management is less than Good. No two branches are the same. Its not easy to advance if you are a woman, Cutbacks and hiring freezes are constantly hurting the teller line which hurts the clients. I work at a very small branch that is used to the same people, but since i have been here we are on our 3rd RB (now BB) lost multiple bodies here that are not replaced. Many branches have been severely hurt by the latest "cut backs". We do not feel important as a team. We used to have Teller appreciation week every year but that has stopped and we are not even recognized anymore. If we are the "FACE" of BB$T then we should be shown that we are cared about. We feel undervalued and overlooked. Morale is down to almost 0%!!

Take a Good look at your Market leaders. They are not doing the job you think they are. They are cutting out early on days they shouldn't, and not going on "sales calls". Instead they are using that time to do personal things.Look at the smaller branches that you are hurting with these cutbacks. The more you cut back the less people are walking in the door. They have lost their trust in us as a company. And bring the goals down to a more realistic number. Smaller branches can not do the same as these larger branches do.

Coasting along

Current Employee - IT Person in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - IT Person in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits The so called Perfect Client Experience philosophy...it just needs to be consistently enforced.

Cons

Good ol'e boy system Not what you know but who you know that gets you promoted
    Management still running the bank like a small town bank rather than a progressive regional bank

Listen to the people down below and not your direct reports or those in management to get the real picture. Next time you do a RIF look at the management team and eliminate the dead wood. You are not going to get more done with less working staff. We need some new management who DO have the values and ethics of BB&T. We don't need anymore of those that have experience from other places but not our PCE values.

Decent pay, but lack of help from Executives

Current Employee - Bank Teller
    Current Employee - Bank Teller

I have been working at BB&T part-time (more than an year)

Pros

They pay is pretty good for a bank teller. I don't receive benefits but from my other coworkers it seems OK and even better when you reach a managing level. Also, i think after 5 or 10 years or working there you get an added week of vacation with a maximum of 5 weeks paid vacation in a year. I have heard of their pension plans and my manager appreciates that when she retires.

Cons

Recently they have been making huge changes and issued a hiring freeze since the beginning of summer. My branch, along with other branches, have been short handed. Customers have not been happy due to the longer wait lines and lack of staff that they are accustomed to. Now we are told to work with what we have and everyone has to do more but not get compensated for the extra responsibilities. They still want us to hit our sales goals and pinch every penny as in save every pen and paper. They charge a lot of fees to clients which they have stated is their strategy to improve numbers for their shareholders. Why is BB&T's fee to cash a check one of the highest if not the highest compared to other banks. Meanwhile the busy bees have to handle the upset clients and then the guys upstairs wonder why we don't hit our numbers. Everyone has been frustrated and many people I've heard had given their notice when all this madness started. Each branch needs to bring in more with less. Also, their software needs a complete update! It takes so long to process a transaction and we waste so much paper. We don't even have pinpads to swipe a card. Also, I have not seen a large national bank who needed their customers to write a check in order to withdraw cash. I found that very backwards and outdated. And install the no envelope deposit ATMs at every location. You are losing a lot of money due to fraud at the ATMs. Not to mention you are just behind in times. Wells Fargo had those ATMs since 2008 or so.

You are starting to lose focus of the most important people, your clients. In the mission statement, it says our shareholders are number one, which I understand; however, it is your clients who generate revenue for your shareholders. Update everything, the software, the hardware, and try to reduce all the paper that is used. I don't see how you can be competitive with the big banks if you do not keep up with their level of efficiency. If I didn't work here I wouldn't bank here. Many business clients I have spoken to have been very upset with fees as well and have planned to move to a different bank.

Rollercoaster ride

Current Employee - Branch Banker
    Current Employee - Branch Banker

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, attainable goals, work/life balance

Cons

Short staffed constantly, productive employees are not recognized for meeting or exceeding goals. Software is outdated and slow. Too much upper management, who are never seen visiting the branches to observe what cutting jobs is doing to the moral of the employees and trust of the customers,

Get out and visit the branches, branches that are meeting and exceeding there goals should not be the ones to take the biggest hits in staffing, you are setting them up to fail. Follow up on the scheduled business calls ML are setting, because they are NOT going on calls. If every ML were doing what they were suppose to we would not be cutting employees because they would be generating revenue! Wake up Management! We aren't having PK, PCE or weekly sales meetings. I know ML's who do absolutely nothing to generate business or loans, their branch bankers do all the work, or they get what walks through the door. Also did you know you have ML's who cant cover for a BB long enough for them to take a lunch? Aren't all employees entitled to get a lunch during a 9 hr day?

Good & not so good

Current Employee - Certified Senior Teller
    Current Employee - Certified Senior Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits such as medical & eye insurance are great. So are the vacation time & holidays.

Cons

The micro-managing & recent employee cuts are nerve-racking. Employee morale is low & client satisfaction seems to be declining. I've been with BB&T for a very long time & have never felt as insecure as I do now. I've seen managers come & go. Wish the one we have now would go.

Managers & customer service people should all pull some teller time. They need to know what we do & go through. They need to show a little more respect & appreciation. They need to decide if they want us to have a sales meeting on Monday morning or get the night deposit bags done before opening.

Happy I got out when I did.....

I worked at BB&T full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Work/life balance, benefits (401k, insurance, PENSION), decent dedication to training/continuing education

Cons

The organization is crawling with B-/C+ grade level employees with little experience to fulfill current roles, advancement at BB&T is dependent on 1) interpersonal and sometimes inappropriate relationships and 2) the amount of time you've input, intelligence and work ethic are severely undervalued, middle and senior level management waiver on making clear and concise decisions which makes execution of tasks tedious and impossible, market leaders/regional presidents lack the skill set, professionalism, and influence to advance the banks loan portfolio to a higher quality, executive management has become blinded by the "we haven't lost money x amount of quarters" speech -- they've lost focus on the basic bread and butter items that made the bank TRULY profitable (if you've read How the Mighty Fall, you might be shaking your head in a "this is true", fashion, work load is often uneven, formal mentoring programs lack structure and purpose, RIF's are the new NORM, being a number instead of a person is the new NORM.

Fire non-performers. Period. No excuses or "coaching" them out. Make an example of people who are consistently nonperforming. What's the old adage -- complacency breeds contempt. Think about the implementation of changing processes and think about the full set of consequences before you roll out a process-- especially if you know you are going to change it again in 90 days. Open your pocket book and hire high performing individuals AND hire subject matter experts - not some person who did well on one job who you believe has the capability of tackling a larger, more rigorous, and CRITICAL project. Have a better succession plan -- bringing in outside senior level managers who don't appreciate, respect, or embrace the companies values is damaging, no matter how successful they were in their previous organizations.

Wonderful place to work

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Great benefits. They care about their associates well being

Cons

Slow to promote. Try not to micromanage

Give credit where credit is due. Promote the ones that deserve it.

BB&T Photos