BB&T Reviews

Updated 19 September, 2014
3.3

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King
Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

I worked for BB&T for 10 years. Most recent job title - Banking Network Branch Manager

Former Employee - Market Leader
    Former Employee - Market Leader

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Good benefits. Can't think of any others.

Cons

Micro-managing, unrealistic sales goals and high pressure from management. I left BB&T after being offered a position at a small town community bank. I struggled with the decision even though working for BB&T was so stressful, it was affecting my health, my sleep and quality of life. I am not one to give up easily because I put my heart and soul into my job. The beginning of the end for me was when I received an email from my Regional Manager regarding a "call night" that I volunteered for my branch because we were behind on our credit card goals. When I sent in the results of those calls to my Regional Manager, I received an email back in capital letters with many exclamation marks stating the results were completely unacceptable. He stated that if I and my team and make "x" amount of calls we should have made "X" amount of contacts that should have resulted in "X" amount of sales. So now I have to control who answers the phone at night or is even home! Unbelievable! He said nothing about appreciating our efforts and that we were doing all we could (and then some) to try to reach our goals. This is the type of unappreciative management that BB&T has. In my area, employees are leaving in droves because of the direction BB&T is going with the bank. What happened to this bank? What happened to Kelly King? Over the years, one of the things that I heard over and over when something unethical would happen is "that is not the BB&T way". Well, the BB&T way now is this - employees are just a number, they don't care about their employees at all and they don't care about their customers either. Because if any of you reading this are customers of BB&T, the only thing they want from you is a "sale". And if the employee waiting on you doesn't produce one, they will be looking for another job. Leaving BBT was the best decision I ever made.

I don't have advice for a management that handles business this way. It's shameful and I don't know how they sleep at night.

Great company and culture

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

Training opportunities are excellent if you'll use them
    Mentors are available
    Work/life is decent
    Total compensation

Cons

Salary could be more competitive
    Technology resources are lacking
    Not a cutting edge organization

Improve associate engagement

Great Entry-Level

Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker  in  Goldsboro, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker in Goldsboro, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great co-workers, friendly work environment, work/life balance is great, good hours and good benefits. If you are giving your all, you will be recognized. Top notch training! They truly prepare you to fulfill your role and are very keen on additional training classes and seminars.

Cons

Stressful sometimes working under specific sales goals, sales goals are sometimes unrealistic and hard to achieve. Lower level management will help you and encourage you, as long as you have a good manager. Every position is being stretched a little more thin, more responsibilities and less compensation. Like most companies doing more with less.

Be more involved with your branches, take time to remember what it is like to work at the bottom of the chain and the difficulties that are to be overcome there.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

I worked at BB&T

Pros

Excellent benefits and compensation, solid company to work for.

Cons

Corporate is in Winston-Salem, hard to advance if unwilling to relocate.

Horrible Experience

I have been working at BB&T

Pros

The company is a growing company

Cons

The philosophy is a lie

Good to start with and grow

Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Relationship Banker II in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great training, positive people, very supportive

Cons

Regional managers have no understanding at branch level of what it takes to be Successful.

Needs to be more involved in branches

The company has been good to me in the time I worked there.

Current Employee - Senior Teller
    Current Employee - Senior Teller

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

BB&T is a good company to work for, there is opportunity to grow and make a career.

Cons

The part that is not working for me is the schedule. It changes every week and I don't feel I have the freedom to work with my time.

Cutbacks are going to kill them in the end

Current Employee - Relationship Banker I
    Current Employee - Relationship Banker I

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a great company to work for. They have wonderful benefits. Getting my birthday off each year is great.

Cons

This is a "good boy society". If you do not fit into that mold it is difficult to find yourself advancing. The new branch positioning is not going to be a good move for their clients or the personnel that is left in the branches.

Instead of laying people off use your best resources to better this company. The money that is spent on marketing is excessive and a lot of the brochures and posters get thrown away each week because they are constantly changing or we are getting brochures that are already expired. Start using the multicultural branches to actually reach out to the Hispanic community instead of just sticking a label on there.

BB&T Once Was a Great Company to Work For

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Decent benefits and office hours are nice

Cons

What has happened to this bank? Thank God I left July 2014! I became part of BB&T in a merger and was immediately pleased and loved the company I worked for. All associates and managers were nice and super supportive. The past year - year and a half... morale is TERRIBLE! This is probably due to enormous layoffs in 2013 and 2014. Unfortunately now if you are an employee or client of BB&T, you are only a number. No appreciation shown for consistently being a top performer. I don't know what went wrong other than maybe John Allison retiring. BB&T is banking BIG BUCKS- why jeopardize your reputation of "PCE" to your clients? I have never seen a bank with so little employees inside. Clients do not like it and frankly- it's NOT SAFE.

What is going on? I was with BB&T for 7 years and was considered a top performer consistently. Morale is HORRIBLE. I know everyone in top management is angry at declining service scores. I am going to be really honest with you... get used to it. By eliminating people in the branch, clients have to wait long periods of time and they don't like it... no matter how you spin it. I feel you have made too drastic and detrimental decisions lately. The Small Town USA's of BB&T are not going to like this change. Unfortunately, you are losing very valuable employees because they are getting better jobs where they are treated better (that is including me- yes I was CONSISTENTLY a top performer). Treat your employees like they are number and they will start doing the same to your clients. Have more realistic views of how a branch ACTUALLY operates than looking on paper and thinking you know how one does. I am very very sad to leave my clients and my associates...what a shame. Think about people and not numbers... this includes clients and associates. Follow your own values.

Total disregard of customer needs

Former Employee - Investment Counselor  in  Charlotte, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Investment Counselor in Charlotte, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

prestige of working in finance, wear tie to work, decent benefits, single girls

Cons

total attention to dollars of commissions produced. sell high commission annuities even though junk

put customers first

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!