BB&T

BB&T Reviews

Updated Jul 20, 2014

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King

Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement(in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • Little room for advancement but it is there(in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated(in 17 reviews)

Good Stepping Stone

ProsGood experience as a first job out of college. Learned a lot. Transitioning into a new roll will take some time, but you have to remember that success cannot be measured by what you did yesterday. New positions will come along frequently, but you have to show that you have excelled at what you were hired to do.

ConsLow pay early on. Management is constantly overseeing everything that you do on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementReviews are too frequent. Let the people work and establish relationships. Breathing down their necks everyday accomplishes little.

Good Company

ProsThe people are really genuine. The benefits are fantastic! The company truly has a strong culture that they operate by. Hard work is often recognized.

ConsCommunication through the company can be lacking and disorganized. They tend to treat the people who work in corporate headquarters better than anyone else in the footprint.

My department was better than the overall corporation

Digital (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsThe people are awesome. Work-life balance was great (good vacation) and the company is very ethical and promotes family values. I had an awesome supervisor. He/She was "one of us" before getting promoted, so really understood the work.

ConsIn my specific role, there was not room for advancement. Once my boss got promoted, that's it -- they would have to leave before another opp for advancement came open. (We were a pretty specialized team.) So, it was out-to-go-up for me. I think Senior Management (outside of our building), and some of the product managers as well, had no idea what we did on a day-to-day, or how specialized/difficult it was. So, I think we were under-appreciated outside of our team.

Also, even though we were a non-client-facing team, we had to dress the part ("because everyone else has to.")

Advice to Senior ManagementPay folks what they are worth. Don't use outdated comps to justify low salaries. Let those who don't see clients -- ever -- enjoy a relaxed dress code.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Environment for working

Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsOn job training, and a favorable environment.

ConsEquipment is not up to date with the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementuiKeep up the good work

Teller

Tell Supervisor (Former Employee) Annapolis, MD (US)

ProsGreat training and lots of room to move up and excel. Leadership was good however corporate was always pushing them pretty hard.

ConsAlthough growth in the company was often easily obtained, you would be required to complete hours upon hours of training. Almost unobtainable.

Good place to work - has some irritants like most places

IT Resource Planner (Current Employee) Wilson, NC (US)

ProsCompensation is great, Company really believes and practices its values for employees and customers. Opportunities for personal growth every year through training. Great life balance perks and benefits.

ConsAs companies get larger the understanding of processes between departments gets clouded. Sometimes and irritant. As always too much work and not enough hours in a day.

Advice to Senior ManagementHolistic approach to all processes would leverage more consistency and learning between LOBs.

BB&T to the Rescue

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe way they came in and took over during the Colonial Bank disaster was awesome.
    The employees that were living in that nightmare were thrilled the day BB&T took control and breathed a huge sigh of relief.

ConsMy position was eliminated when the merger was complete, however the severance package was very generous.

IT Security, Risk, and Governance

ProsIf you are looking for a job that pays well with decent benefits, this may be the place for you. Work-life balance is good and everything looks good on the surface.

ConsDon't expect to come in and grow your career unless you are a part of the good old boy network, brown nose, or can manipulate the higher ups. If you are a good performer on your job, you'll be rewarded with being stuck in that position. If you can talk the talk and claim you are always busy, you'll have a very bright future.

Advice to Senior ManagementShare information with your team so that they can provide feedback on things that they are seeing so that you can move in the right direction, not just what a small group of hands off managers think.

Great Benefits, difficult to advance.

Senior Teller (Former Employee)

ProsAmazing Benefits, had full paid maternity leave! Decent pay. Very good training.

ConsPoor Work- life balance. If you have to work a Saturday, then you're working 6 days that week since full timers aren't allowed any weekdays off. Not easy if you have a family. over time is a big no-no. Unless you have a manager really helping advance your career it's difficult to move up.

It has been a good experience, but the culture leaves much to be desired.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe people are the best things about the company. There's a strong work ethic and sense of accomplishment. The benefits could be better but for the most part are good. Work/Life balance is really good.

ConsThe culture is far behind the times and much too conservative. The simple niceties are nonexistent (such as dress down Fridays, telecommuting, free WiFi). There's hardly any budget for training and education reimbursement only happens for certain employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication needs to be addressed. Decisions are made and often times not share in a timely manner.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!