BB&T

BB&T Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King

Kelly S. King

Pros
  • This bank pays better than any other and you get an incredible work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement (in 37 reviews)

Cons
  • In my specific role, there was not room for advancement (in 12 reviews)

• no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Entry-Level

Certified Relationship Banker (Current Employee) Goldsboro, NC (US)

ProsGreat co-workers, friendly work environment, work/life balance is great, good hours and good benefits. If you are giving your all, you will be recognized. Top notch training! They truly prepare you to fulfill your role and are very keen on additional training classes and seminars.

ConsStressful sometimes working under specific sales goals, sales goals are sometimes unrealistic and hard to achieve. Lower level management will help you and encourage you, as long as you have a good manager. Every position is being stretched a little more thin, more responsibilities and less compensation. Like most companies doing more with less.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more involved with your branches, take time to remember what it is like to work at the bottom of the chain and the difficulties that are to be overcome there.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsExcellent benefits and compensation, solid company to work for.

ConsCorporate is in Winston-Salem, hard to advance if unwilling to relocate.

The company has been good to me in the time I worked there.

Senior Teller (Current Employee)

ProsBB&T is a good company to work for, there is opportunity to grow and make a career.

ConsThe part that is not working for me is the schedule. It changes every week and I don't feel I have the freedom to work with my time.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good to start with and grow

Certified Relationship Banker II (Current Employee) Virginia Beach, VA (US)

ProsGreat training, positive people, very supportive

ConsRegional managers have no understanding at branch level of what it takes to be Successful.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to be more involved in branches

Good Company

ProsThe people are really genuine. The benefits are fantastic! The company truly has a strong culture that they operate by. Hard work is often recognized.

ConsCommunication through the company can be lacking and disorganized. They tend to treat the people who work in corporate headquarters better than anyone else in the footprint.

Good Stepping Stone

ProsGood experience as a first job out of college. Learned a lot. Transitioning into a new roll will take some time, but you have to remember that success cannot be measured by what you did yesterday. New positions will come along frequently, but you have to show that you have excelled at what you were hired to do.

ConsLow pay early on. Management is constantly overseeing everything that you do on a daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementReviews are too frequent. Let the people work and establish relationships. Breathing down their necks everyday accomplishes little.

My department was better than the overall corporation

Digital (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC (US)

ProsThe people are awesome. Work-life balance was great (good vacation) and the company is very ethical and promotes family values. I had an awesome supervisor. He/She was "one of us" before getting promoted, so really understood the work.

ConsIn my specific role, there was not room for advancement. Once my boss got promoted, that's it -- they would have to leave before another opp for advancement came open. (We were a pretty specialized team.) So, it was out-to-go-up for me. I think Senior Management (outside of our building), and some of the product managers as well, had no idea what we did on a day-to-day, or how specialized/difficult it was. So, I think we were under-appreciated outside of our team.

Also, even though we were a non-client-facing team, we had to dress the part ("because everyone else has to.")

Advice to Senior ManagementPay folks what they are worth. Don't use outdated comps to justify low salaries. Let those who don't see clients -- ever -- enjoy a relaxed dress code.

Good place to work

ProsPay is OK. Not the best in the industry but not the worst. You are also able to have a good work life balance. When projects are due you will be expected to work until your part is completed, but normally the pace is reasonable.

ConsAdvancing in your career can be a challenge. Some people stay in their same role forever. You must make your own path as management doesn't seem to promote from within based on job performance alone. It can be done but networking is key.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch for employees who perform beyond their job grade and promote from within. This will make employees feel worthwhile so they continue to perform at a high level.

Good Environment for working

Quality Assurance Analyst (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsOn job training, and a favorable environment.

ConsEquipment is not up to date with the competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementuiKeep up the good work

Good company, limited room for growth

ProsDecent balance of work/life and good benefits with the company.

ConsIt's hard to move up in the center that I am in, women seem to be promoted more than men, who are more qualified for the position.

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!