BB&T

BB&T Reviews

Updated Apr 22, 2014

BB&T Chairman & CEO Kelly S. King

Kelly S. King

Pros:
  • "The work week of 40-50 hrs creates good work/life balance"
    in 19 reviews
  • "They have very good benefits and opportunities for advancement"
    in 33 reviews
Cons:
  • "Little room for advancement but it is there"
    in 9 reviews
  • "no room for advancement, sales goals that are met are never appreciated"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

GOOD company !

I have been working at BB&T full-time

ProsBenefits, opportuinty to move up if you wish too and you are good.

Consif you work on the teller side they do not accomadate to the needs of tellers at all.

Not many full time positions

Teller (Current Employee)
Newnan, GA (US)

I have been working at BB&T part-time for more than a year

ProsPaid holidays and vacation time awarded up front

ConsNot much room to obtain full time positions

Values not shared by all management

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits, specifically 401k and pension
Good corporate values.

ConsLayers of middle-upper management don't buy into corporate value system.
Micromanagement.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer flexibility in work environment (working from home)
Have a mechanism to offer feedback on your manager. I'm a senior level manager within my division and am micro-managed as if I were a child. Morale in the group is at a low due to the leadership of one manager.

Management needs a review

Mortgage Loan Processor III (Current Employee)
Greensboro, NC (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for less than a year

ProsGood benefits, there is the Life force program which helps encourage good habits and rewards. The Lighthouse project done once a year is biased however.

ConsThe challenges outweigh the pros. Understaffed, technology is thoroughly outdated, very slow and rarely works properly. Training is minimal, and if a class does come up, management says no, they only let a select few go. Jobs are never posted, people are just placed in those positions. Upper management lets all of this happen. They condone it. Certain employees do what they want. Management allows it. It just depends on who you know.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere is no leadership. No room for personal growth, or professional growth. There seems to be a chain of command for certain situations. Most situations get stopped right at the beginning. The complaint or problem never goes anywhere. No one in management really listens.

Working in a branch can be pretty terrible when the clients treat you like a second hand citizen

Relationship Banker II (Current Employee)
West Palm Beach, FL (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat 401k match and they still have a pension.....for now. Not a bad place to work if you are ok with people constantly talking down to you and treating you like they are better than you. It is very difficult to get fired unless you do something really stupid. At least you get a set salary and benefits...

ConsMICROMANAGEMENT! You will get an email from high up, which will be forwarded to you by your manager's boss with some obvious comment, which your manager will then forward to you as well praising the previous comment. Essentially, you will end up with ten emails that all say the same thing. It is very hard to move up. They would rather hire someone from another bank that has the exact experience they are looking for than to promote and train from within. Your manager will likely have a ton of experience in banking, which generally means they worked they way up slowly, and probably aren't the best person for the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue! Leading by fear only makes the good people leave or hate their jobs. Spend some actual time in the branches so you remember what it is really like to do the job rather than setting unrealistic goals that nobody ever hits. People stop trying when all they ever hear is negative and no positive. When you see talent in the branches, recognize it and try to promote them so they stay with the bank. Too many talented people end up leaving.

Great benefits, lousy pay

I have been working at BB&T

ProsThey have fantastic benefits here! 401k match, pension, amazing healthcare options and a LOT of sick days.

They like to promote from within.

ConsThe pay is not comparable to other institutions for most departments.

Graveyard for Investment Advisors

Investment Counselor (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than a year

ProsIf you have little experience, low ambition, and no desire to be a comprehensive Financial Advisor or control the client process - this is the place for you.
Always openings as quality advisors usually leave.

ConsHigh commission proprietary products are emphasized.
Too many departments competing for the same client dollars.
Investment Counselors are reduced to being transactional based salespersons pushing BB&T in-house products.
High net worth clients must be passed on to Private Banking, Wealth Mgmt, Insurance, Trust etc. with IC's getting no compensation or incentive to do so.
High net worth clients have no clear idea of who is driving their planning process - these depts all indicate to client they are in charge. Any but the least educated client will withdraw from this confusing mess and seek a more cohesive advisor relationship elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the IC role to more reflect that of the independent advisor model and compensation. The IC should be the quarterback of the client process with the other departments providing support when required. This would involve hiring a more experienced, entreprenuerial and credentialed level of IC/advisor. Current management may be hesitant to do so as most are failed advisors (those who can't do here can become managers) and any upgrade in services and quality of advisor would threaten their own positions.

Ok Company

I have been working at BB&T

ProsGreat benefits, positive company values and willingness to train employees.

ConsNot much potential for movement within the company.

An old school company that is unwilling and unable to change.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Raleigh, NC (US)

I worked at BB&T full-time for more than a year

ProsThe pay was decent and my co-workers created a good environment.
As with all things, it depends on your manager and their manager (that's the secret) make sure you interview with both and grill them. If you're at the interview they want you... now just make sure you want them too!

Cons"But we've always done it this way" is a motto of many banks, but executive leadership that has been with the company their entire career make this a top down culture that doesn't understand or embrace change and technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou think your competition is mid-size banks like Nations, but it is any bank that has a branch or an ATM near yours. Bank of America with their amazing ebanking and cutting edge ATMs is your competition. Be careful BB&T... the baby boomers will die some day and then who will be your market?

Slow Growth

Account Manager (Current Employee)
San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at BB&T full-time for more than 10 years

ProsOffice Culture, Building Perks, 40 days sick paid

ConsPersonal Growth, Favortism, Not a challenging job

Advice to Senior ManagementSalary to Match Experience and let employees grow!

Worked for BB&T? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at BB&T reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for BB&T CEO Kelly S. King. All 406 reviews are posted anonymously by BB&T employees.