Aviva

Aviva Reviews

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Aviva Group CEO Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson

Pros
  • Fantastic Work-Life Balance, encouraging flexible working and mobile work practises(in 5 reviews)

• It used to be a good company but no longer today(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • No immediate career opportunities, dis-connected senior management, no recognition of skills and contributions made by employees(in 4 reviews)

• In IT, there aren't a lot of career opportunities, and the manager is not so understanding(in 3 reviews)

Aviva

Director (Former Employee) Toronto, ON

ProsGreat people and work environment

ConsToo much change. Senior management lacked focus.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your collective act together and focus on what's really important.

ok to work at, neutral

Underwriter (Former Employee) Scarborough, ON

Prosok to work at, neutral

Consto much commuting from where I live

Underwriter

Underwriting (Former Employee) Scarborough, ON

ProsGood company. Good environment. Good people

ConsCommuting problem. Underwriting call centre environment

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Comfortable Employer

ProsGood people, good values, providing a real, tangible, beneficial service to society in general and to our customers. With our new CEO and upgraded board members, we're seeing a massive over-haul of strategy, focus on customers, investors, people and a clear understanding of the direction of travel in line with techno-societal developments.

ConsThere remains a significant amount of old-boy politics where people have risen to positions within the company without either the necessary knowledge and talent or the capability to serve the role through gravitas and industry peer recognition. These people remain responsible for the lack of investment in staff development and hence operational inefficiencies.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the full line management down to at least E-level to determine whether the strategic messages and initiatives are actually being embedded and gaining ground, and where this is not the case, take remedial action on those senior managers who are failing in their duty to staff, their role, their company, their customers and their investors.

Over-run by consultants

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome good and capable people.

ConsRelied on consultants and third-party providers for everything, and wondered why the budget escalated rapidly whilst nothing was delivered.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the courage of your convictions.

Good company that provides great opportunities for its people to develop and grow.

Marketing Director (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat people, and good opportunities to develop and travel internationally.

ConsNo cons from me. Aviva is a great place to work for that can be challenging, but always rewarding.

Very Good Employer

ProsGood work life balance. Opportunities to learn. Exposure to Asia region. Lot of benefits.

ConsHigh bureaucracy. Less training and remuneration. Low remuneration compared to market range. All benefits goes to permanent employee only.

Advice to Senior ManagementFair to everyone

Aviva USA was sold to Athene in October 2013

Applications Developer III (Former Employee) West Des Moines, IA (US)

ProsAviva USA was a good company.

ConsAfter Aviva USA was acquired by Athene my position and hundreds of others were eliminated due to restructuring and outsourcing.

Great working culture and people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsGood consistent training and workshops; friendly people (esp at headquarters) and management; open international culture

ConsSeemed to be some preference for expats compared to locals; some managers did not seem to value and provide career growth opportunities for locals compared to the expats from home country in same team.

Insurance application

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to have a holistic of the Insurance Scene.

ConsMundane desk bound work, lack of personal development opportunity.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmpower the employee.

Worked for Aviva? Contribute to the Community!