Avis Budget Group

Avis Budget Group Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014

Avis Budget Group CEO Ron Nelson

Ron Nelson

Pros:
  • "Good benefits including sick days and paid vacation"
    in 14 reviews
  • "free car and gas, great benefits & discounts for companies (verizon,expedia)"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Constant struggle with upper management to get the resources needed to grow business"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Management goes into hiding anytime you need cars or customer service issues"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

it was a learning experince

Vendor Specialist (Former Employee)
Parsippany, NJ (US)

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than 5 years

Prosat the time i started at Avis it was a growing Company. There was room for advancement. People were very friendly. Therou e were some perks.

Consthey are outsourcing certain departments. you do not know if your job will be there in coming months, no job security.

Advice to Senior Managementtheir is no personal growth in this company.

I been working at avis for 2 months

I have been working at Avis Budget Group part-time for less than a year

Prosflexible hours, and u get to drive new cars

Conspay is 8 dollars a hour, no benefits for part-time employees plus they don't wanna hire fulltime so they don't have to give them, ,co-workers don't work as a team, management doesn't care about nothing but getting the cars on the ready line, I see coworkers invading each other sexual space and that's against everthing they learned in training, if u clock in one min late that goes as a point twords u and if u get a certain Amount of points like 6 in your first 90 days u could be fired even if its one min late, they have no grace period or respect for people lives, a line of ppl could be waiting to clock on for 2oclock in the eveing and your scheduled to clock on at the same time as them, and your the last person to clock in and it was 2:01, they don't care they will give u a point, smh I mean it happen to me 3 times

Advice to Senior Managementtrain your leads, make sure your management are looking out for their good and hard working employees, eliminate sexual harassment from the job and give part time workers an opportunity to progress, and give employees a 5min grace period

While contracts are short and inconsistent, the quality of life is the best I've ever experienced.

Technical Consultant (Former Employee)
Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I worked at Avis Budget Group as a contractor for less than a year

ProsRelaxing work environment.
Quickly trims dead weight.
Contracts through IBM, so lucrative salary options for longterm IT.
Excellent location, a beautiful campus that's easily accessed by both the highway and two major ground streets.

ConsContracts through IBM have a fixed maximum, with a required turnaround time after the contract ends before the purchase order can be put in for rehire.
Contracts through IBM so IT is compartmentalized, which is often a hurdle to job performance.

In Pittsburgh, the operations are right but the execution is lacking.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time for less than a year

ProsFortune 500 company, being in management has its perks

Conslack of attention to detail, listening to employees

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people with a purpose in life, not just people who go with the flow.

Great place to work.

Driver (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Avis Budget Group part-time for less than a year

ProsGet to meet a lot of people working for the company.

ConsWorking part time, would like full time.

Fun fast paced job

Agency Operator (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood brand. Great team . You create your own atmosphere. Your store runs as smooth you allow it.

ConsZero benefits. Low pay for agency operators. Support is there but more often than not inventory is not. You can market your store and as you try to grow your business distribution will often be unable to send additional fleet. The commissions earned are good if you work alone, if you try to bring in staff or have any type of medical benefits it is very poor.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-structure pay for independent operators.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Don't Waste Your Time

Car Return Associate (Former Employee)
Fort Myers, FL (US)

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for less than a year

ProsHealth Insurance, 401K with 6% matching

ConsInept management, constant micro-management, station manage spying on employees, non-compliance with the Corporate Ideology, customers constantly conned into "up-sale" items, juvenile type contests devised by managers with rewards of "Bling", major safety issues in car return area not addressed, preventive maintenance intentionally overlooked in order to rent more vehicles, a “he said - she said” backstabbing work environment, tight knit good ol’ boy network, filthy work conditions, terrible work schedule....need I go on?

Initially ABG is painted to be a happy place, as depicted by the indoctrination DVD, chock full of sing-song pleasantries of the Corporate mantra. However 5 minutes on the job and the indoctrination was nothing more than a mere failure at brainwashing the employee. It is completely the opposite and violates every principle of customer service that ABG supposedly stands for

My advice: Unless you are into heavy drama, save your health and find another job. ABG is not worth it.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe GM needs to put himself on the front line more to see what is actually going on and stop changing things for the sake of job justification. If it works, don't fix it!
The Airport Manager needs to begin to appreciate her employees instead of acting as a Prison Warden. Treat your employees with respect and reward them accordingly for their outstanding performance - and not with a candy bar either!.
Managers need to be on the same page. Too much contradiction in daily operational policy. Make yourselves shown instead of hiding in the back office.

The most disorganized place to ever work. Overworked and under paid.

Operations Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than a year

ProsFree car and free gas and no cost insurance on the car.
The ability to use the car for personal use.

ConsWorking 50 hours a week plus for salary.
Some weeks you will work 55 to 60 hours a week.
Churn rate of employees is high with rental sales agents.
If there are call offs you will do other employees jobs like renting cars,washing cars, checking in cars and shuttling cars.

Great job if you like sitting around doing nothing.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Avis Budget Group

Prosalways working overtime so the pay was not too bad

Consbase pay really low and the raises are not that great.

Advice to Senior Managementstart people with higher base pay especially if they have a history of sales.

Was a Great Start

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Providence, RI (US)

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time for more than a year

ProsNice bonus fair pay 40+ hours a week

ConsYou have to stay till last flight even if its 4 am

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on making shining stars brighter and let the bad ones leave

Worked for Avis Budget Group? Contribute to the Community!

Avis Budget Group Videos

Avis Budget Group – Why Work for Us?

Why Avis Budget Group? Avis Budget Group is an action-packed, high-energy place where things move forward every day. If you want to GO somewhere in your career, Avis Budget Group is the place to be. If you're looking… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avis Budget Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Avis Budget Group CEO Ron Nelson. All 319 reviews are posted anonymously by Avis Budget Group employees.