Avery Dennison

Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough

Dean A. Scarborough

Pros
  • good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ (in 15 reviews)

• Fun work environment with a good work life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk (in 7 reviews)

• Upper management do engage at the production level to relate to all employee group (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

supply chain coordinator

Supply Chain Coordinator (Former Employee) Wuppertal (Germany)

Prosgreat work life balance. good compesation

Consi have nothing to say here

Advice to Senior Managementkeep up to date

A distasteful experience so far

Analyst (Current Employee) Glendale, CA (US)

ProsI legitimately can't think of any. I wish I could say I was exaggerating or being biased, but this is simply not a positive place to work. The only pro is that its a job. And in this tough job market you take what you can get. But even then I'd advise you to hold out a little longer and find a place you won't hate having to drive in to every morning.

ConsManagement is terrible here. For a new employee there is usually some type of process where you at least attempt to integrate the person into the culture and the workplace environment. There was zero effort to do this whatsoever, especially on the workplace process side of things. I shouldn't have to beg my manager to know what a standard report should look like. And managers who can barely communicate what they want should not be managers in the first place, because they will inevitably take out their lack of ability on the team and lower morale.

The new work space is nice because its open and bright, but overall its not enough to redeem the company. Its a bit far from good places to eat too, which makes even enjoying your lunch time difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because a person was good at their job and managed to not be fired for whatever extended period of time Avery kept them at that level, does not mean that person has the leadership capabilities to be a manager. Avery doesn't seem to get this, and for this reason has a terrible set of managers in place. One VP in particular doesn't even speak to his team directly unless through one person whom he has decided is his favorite. My manager has a severe inability to communicate what she wants, but is insistent on everything being the specific way she wants it. I've heard of other managers completely ignoring their team and then overworking them when senior management starts to ask questions. Its disgusting, really. Classic case of an old school company allowing the old school mentality to run it to the ground.

Avery

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat hours for mothers and great pay

ConsCompany in Holliston MA is closing

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sets up employees and contractors for failure

Communiications (Current Employee) Glendale, CA (US)

ProsShiny, brand-new campus with a modern, open and airy ambiance.

Cons1. The company does not provide its employees with workstations or supplies ... yes, you read that correctly. No one has a regular desk to work from, they use whatever's available on any particular day. And, other than a laptop computer, they don't provide the basics to do your job: no pens, no notepads, no paper clips, nothing. That means employees need to buy those items themselves and bill the cost to the company or to their agencies. And, there is no place to store those items when you leave the office, so you have to lug them around with you. The company cuts its overhead costs on the backs of its employees - and we are painfully aware of that.

2. The company is implementing GoogleApps, and it's a big mess. Like the supplies issue, it's an attempt to cut technology costs by working in The Cloud. It has not been very well received, and when you're dealing with a mission-critical technology like your email system and business software, that is NOT a good thing.

3. Communication from management to the employee population is almost non-existent, mainly because of the GoogleApps issue (the company currently does not have an effective email system) and because the company leaders do not know how to engage with their employees.

4. Performance management is practically non-existent. The company has no formal methodology for disciplining or course-correcting employees or contractors. They just fire them or let them get to the point at which the problem is too far-gone to correct. Very loosey-goosey policies.

5. No cafeteria, and no eateries within walking distance. And, they strictly enforce the 60-minute lunch rule. That means employees tend to bring their lunches with them and eat at their (temporary) desks while they're working. It's a pretty sweet deal for the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really, really need to engage more closely with your employees - not at the VP level, but with managers and specialists. Dean, you need to circulate among the rank and file more. Managers need to be more accessible to their people and REALLY MANAGE, not just hire and fire. They need to be there EVERY DAY. Give us regular desks to work from - it will help establish greater consistency in our work products and build teamwork.

A mostly positive experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFinancially stable company. Did a reasonable job with people development, succession planning. A very solid employee base. People who really care about the company and their fellow employees.

ConsNeed a change at the very top. Eliminate some of the complexities within the divisions

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach on accountability. Re consider strategy to outsource so many activities that are non transactional.

Many acquisitions over the years with questionable ROI

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

ProsI loved the people I interacted with on a regular basis, great environment when it comes to practicing lean manufacturing.

ConsA lot of politics that feels somewhat unfair at times, I've seen people pushed out. A bit of turmoil with the sale of the consumer products division last year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to your roots that Stan Avery built, innovation, innovation, execution.

Overworked, Underappreciated

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Pasadena, CA (US)

ProsNew bright offices in Glendale.

ConsMostly everyone is out for themselves. Downsizing and staff reductions have left most fearing for their jobs while performing the work of 3+ people.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and provide some stability so they can have confidence to perform and grow the company instead of continuing to cut jobs to show revenue.

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFamily atmosphere, supportive colleagues, opportunities to grow and develop

Consnothing bad to say

Great Company to work for

ProsCompany built on innovation, with focus on sustainability.

ConsLarge, which makes speed and pricing less competitive.

Product Development Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is part of the consumer office product.There were many opportunities to grow and work with international counter parts.

ConsPeople were generally nice and highly educated. This is the consumer office product industry, it is an dying industry.

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!