Avery Dennison

Avery Dennison Reviews

Updated Apr 18, 2014

Avery Dennison Chairman, President, & CEO Dean A. Scarborough

Dean A. Scarborough

Pros:
  • "good careers oportunity ; good work/life balance specially in the European HQ"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Fun work environment with a good work life balance"
    in 13 reviews
Cons:
  • "Used to have work-life balance, now it's just talk"
    in 7 reviews
  • "Like any large corporation, the company is run for the benefit of upper management"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

I worked at Avery Dennison

ProsFamily atmosphere, supportive colleagues, opportunities to grow and develop

Consnothing bad to say

Great Company to work for

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsCompany built on innovation, with focus on sustainability.

ConsLarge, which makes speed and pricing less competitive.

A distasteful experience so far

Analyst (Current Employee)
Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Avery Dennison as a contractor for less than a year

ProsI legitimately can't think of any. I wish I could say I was exaggerating or being biased, but this is simply not a positive place to work. The only pro is that its a job. And in this tough job market you take what you can get. But even then I'd advise you to hold out a little longer and find a place you won't hate having to drive in to every morning.

ConsManagement is terrible here. For a new employee there is usually some type of process where you at least attempt to integrate the person into the culture and the workplace environment. There was zero effort to do this whatsoever, especially on the workplace process side of things. I shouldn't have to beg my manager to know what a standard report should look like. And managers who can barely communicate what they want should not be managers in the first place, because they will inevitably take out their lack of ability on the team and lower morale.

The new work space is nice because its open and bright, but overall its not enough to redeem the company. Its a bit far from good places to eat too, which makes even enjoying your lunch time difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because a person was good at their job and managed to not be fired for whatever extended period of time Avery kept them at that level, does not mean that person has the leadership capabilities to be a manager. Avery doesn't seem to get this, and for this reason has a terrible set of managers in place. One VP in particular doesn't even speak to his team directly unless through one person whom he has decided is his favorite. My manager has a severe inability to communicate what she wants, but is insistent on everything being the specific way she wants it. I've heard of other managers completely ignoring their team and then overworking them when senior management starts to ask questions. Its disgusting, really. Classic case of an old school company allowing the old school mentality to run it to the ground.

Worked for a business which was taken over by Avery Dennison

Harlow, England (UK)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI'm honestly really struggling to think of any.... some good people there, particularly in Engineering.

ConsI worked for a business which was part of a global takeover by AD, so can only really reflect on the fact that the AD takeover did nothing to change the mess the previous business was in. Maybe that's not fair on AD as they took on a complete mess.

High pressure sales environment, incompetent management, pointlessly bureaucratic, uncompetitive pricing, production was slow and often messed orders up, inadequate sub-par products to sell.... unrealistic expectations.

A mostly positive experience

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFinancially stable company. Did a reasonable job with people development, succession planning. A very solid employee base. People who really care about the company and their fellow employees.

ConsNeed a change at the very top. Eliminate some of the complexities within the divisions

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach on accountability. Re consider strategy to outsource so many activities that are non transactional.

Many acquisitions over the years with questionable ROI

Senior Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI loved the people I interacted with on a regular basis, great environment when it comes to practicing lean manufacturing.

ConsA lot of politics that feels somewhat unfair at times, I've seen people pushed out. A bit of turmoil with the sale of the consumer products division last year.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet back to your roots that Stan Avery built, innovation, innovation, execution.

Overworked, Underappreciated

Pasadena, CA (US)

I worked at Avery Dennison for more than 8 years

ProsNew bright offices in Glendale.

ConsMostly everyone is out for themselves. Downsizing and staff reductions have left most fearing for their jobs while performing the work of 3+ people.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your employees and provide some stability so they can have confidence to perform and grow the company instead of continuing to cut jobs to show revenue.

The Company went DOWNHILL after 2010

Sales Representative (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe management is awesome! Benefits are also really good.

ConsNot a lot of possibility of making a lot of money no matter how many awards are won!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart taking better care of the people who work for you by paying what they are worth.

Has been a great company, unfortunately poor Senior management in Aust/Asean

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Avery Dennison full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat people in general, opportunities as a multinational and when given the opportunity development amongst some very bright people.

ConsInnovation and product to market painfully slow, leadership autocratic and doesnt empower or listen locally. Need to set long term strategies not just meet short term metrics. The customer and culture suffers.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening and understanding what people really do, not just what the favourites say. Too much beauracracy and process, not enough action.

Product Development Engineer

I worked at Avery Dennison

ProsThis is part of the consumer office product.There were many opportunities to grow and work with international counter parts.

ConsPeople were generally nice and highly educated. This is the consumer office product industry, it is an dying industry.

Worked for Avery Dennison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Avery Dennison reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Avery Dennison CEO Dean A. Scarborough. All 191 reviews are posted anonymously by Avery Dennison employees.